Updating MDU Dish Network receivers

Spednix

Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
United States
We are new to the Dish Network MDU scene. We've been doing Dish Network and other satellite services for years though. We're working with a well established MDU installation company that initially setup the system for us. We just maintain it and are the dealer. Anyway, now that I already made a short story long... We had an issue the other day that was caused be a necessary update from Dish Network. According to the Dish Network Tech Support, MDU receivers don't get their updates as they are configured to never go into "standby". Well, this is a problem. Has anyone come up with a good solution for this? I'm considering building a scripted tiny computer with an IR blaster to put the receivers in "standby" once a month. Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Ed

That was my first plan was to script a "Web Power Switch" because the first two tech support reps said they had to be power cycled for update. One claimed for 15 minutes, then the other said...no, no, no, has to be 30 minutes. Both with no update. The third tech said, you need to put them on "standby". Placed them on "standby" and boom...update immediately started. So, what I need is a way to not remove power, but place them on "standby" using some kind of IR timer. I'll probably just end up building one.

One way to do it would be to put the receivers in standby mode by hitting the power button on the front of the receiver when you're done or need to. You can also check the nightly updates which refreshes the receivers memory. You can change it's setting in Menu -> System Setup (6) -> Installation (1) -> System Upgrades (5) -> Without My Permission

Well, I'm looking for an automated solution. If we set it up to do system upgrades without my permission, can that happen any time during the day, or would it only happen at certain times? Like for example, do updates only come in at 3am? Or can it do it at noon where people will have their soaps interrupted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts