Locals opt-out?

Are you saying that if I sub'd to locals, I'd get guide data to the subchannels that Dish does not provide? And the channels we have here near DC that Dish does not provide? And that if I clicked on such a listing in the EPG, the DVR will see that it isn't available on Dish and will record the program from OTA?

Yes. I'm sub'd to the Rochester NY locals. My house is on the highest roadway in the county abut 20 miles east of Rochester and 50 miles west of Syracuse. With a roof top antenna on a rotor and a signal booster I get all ota stations from both cities. I get the EPG for all of them including the sub channels with info and can record any of them. I can program repeating recordings with no problem

Are you saying that if I sub'd to locals, I'd get guide data to the subchannels that Dish does not provide? And the channels we have here near DC that Dish does not provide? And that if I clicked on such a listing in the EPG, the DVR will see that it isn't available on Dish and will record the program from OTA?

not necessarily. While Dish is carrying some subchannel guide, its not on all channels

If no guide info it says digital servcie

Are you saying that if I sub'd to locals, I'd get guide data to the subchannels that Dish does not provide?
Yes, that is what he's saying. Caveat for our area: WPXW guide data OTA is missing.

And the channels we have here near DC that Dish does not provide?

Yes, if you mean channels that Dish does not provide to us, e.g. MPT.

And that if I clicked on such a listing in the EPG, the DVR will see that it isn't available on Dish and will record the program from OTA?
Well, not exactly. The guide has the locals in yellow as a separate (recordable) channel listing. The satellite channel for WPXW (for example) is listed as 66-0, while OTA is listed as Ion (66-1), qubo (66-2) and IonL (66-3). The latter 3 have no guide data, but they should!

Last edited:
Thank you. But as DH is the only OTA we routinely record/watch, I'll keep saving the $5/month. But at least it's a better situation than I thought.

I'm sure somebody around here knows what "DH" stands for, but I sure don't. BTW - weren't you the guy who wanted to record MPT?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)