DISH Expands Amazon Alexa Voice Control Support

The Hopper turned on but the TV does not. I have HDMI-CEC turned on. HipKat, does your TV turn on when you wake the Hopper with Alexa?
I have a correction to my last post. I looked into my TV's menu and I also have HDMI-CEC turned on with the same results as you, it doesn't turn on when the hopper wakes up. I'll have to do a bit more experimentation but the solution might be as simple as replacing the HDMI cable.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a correction to my last post. I looked into my TV's menu and I also have HDMI-CEC turned on with the same results as you, it doesn't turn on when the hopper wakes up. I'll have to do a bit more experimentation but the solution might be as simple as replacing the HDMI cable.

OK, thanks. See if you can figure out a way to turn the Hopper and TV off too with Alexa.

What would be REALLY nice, is for it to turn on Hopper, TV and A/V receiver!

Guess I’ll stick to my Harmony.
Well, if your AV receiver has CEC, then it does. I say "Alexa turn on the TV" and then Alexa tune to ESPN and everything powers on and tunes to my channel.

About Amazon Alexa device trigger word:
For each Alexa-based device, you can choose one of four trigger words:
Alexa
Amazon
Computer
Echo

That's it, only 4 choices.

And the Dot's built-in speaker is fine for talking back to you; you only need to add speakers for playing music.
I renamed mine to Echo since there are many things on the TV that will trigger it. South Park did an episode dedicated to doing that. I wanted to call it Bob. But no. Also I wish it had more control. It's a toy.

I have 2 echo dots. One in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. The bedroom Dot controls my 4K Joey, the kitchen Dot controls my H3. Don't waste your money on the Echo. You can usually find Dots on sale for $40 or less, and if you need better stereo sound, stick the Dot inside a Vaux Speaker. Both my dots are in Vaux speakers and they work great and it adds battery portability to the Dot.
How did you get your joey to work with Alexa. I can't get the device to show up in the list. I have the Joey 2. They told me that is the newest one.

I got a new (old) Harmony Smart Control with a hub and an echo Dot and they work great together. I recommend it if you don't have a complicated system (8 device and 6 activity limit) and can be had at Walmart (I assume while supplies last) for under 60 bucks. I love being able to say "Echo go forward 3 minutes" and then watch it happen.

Reactions: pattykay
Bought the little woman a pair of Echo Dots for Christmas to use as intercomms.

She likes them so much she bought another.

I use mine to control my Joey, she uses hers for music, timers, Hopper 3 control.

BTW, did you know you can say “Alexa, set a meat timer for 30 minutes.” Substitute “broccoli,” “vegetable,” “chicken,” or “turkey” and so on for “meat.” So you can have multiple timers going, for different things, and she’ll (it’ll) tell you when it’s done, labeling it with whatever word you choose. “Your potato timer is done.”

That sure beats the heck out of the four or so timers I have in the kitchen today.

That is the one major drawback that I don't like. I always get a message saying that I am not subscribed to that channel. (Well duh, I don't need to subscribe to an OTA channel, it is free. :rolleyes: )
Mine just says, "Sorry, I don't know that."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts