Dish external hard drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
Id like to buy an external hard drive to put some of my saved HD programming on.
Can I also access these saved programs from external hard drive?

Have no clue what to buy.

Any suggestions?

Seagate is the brand used by DISH in the tech chat and I have all seagate external hard drives. Some others use western digital external hard drives. They have to be usb 2.0 external hard drives. Best buy sells them. You can use up to 1 tb.

Here's the sequence of events for using an EHD.
Record event on internal HD
'Archive' the recorded even to external HD

Then you can playback directly from the external HD

When connecting an external HD, the sat receiver formats the drive for use only on those types of receiver models. You can play back from the external HD, but it is not usable on a computer unless formatted again and starting from scratch (at least legally).

I'd recommend 1TB.

Here are two sites worth I check prices on:
Hard / Removable Drives at Pricewatch - lowest prices, sales, price comparison
-OR-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007601%20600030763%204802&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

If you've got a Staples near you, look for the WD My Book Essential External 1TB Drive. SKU#819934. They're being clearanced for $49.50

Although Dish doesn't officially support drives over 1tb, I've had success with 2tb drives. I recently had a Seagate 2tb drive die on me and I replaced it with a WD Cavier Black in an enclosure. You can pick up 1 tb drives for under $100.00 and 500 gb drives for under $40. Check out www.ecost.com for good deals on 500 gb drives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts