Dish Files FCC Appication to Launch Echostar 18

Anyone who would be privy to that info, I'm almost 100% positive are held to a NDA

Not necessarily, since it is not being reported that Dish is buying these. If DIRECTV/ATT is offering these as part of a bargain to the FCC, a lot of people would know about it, not under NDA.

How long till there is 4k content to broadcast?
Broadcasting implies that they have the standards and equipment in place to make it happen. That's probably not going to be with us for a while. Any 4K that comes within the next year or two will almost certainly be downloaded as opposed to real-time (except for those wily Japanese).

Remember that the paradigm shift from SD to HD started in 1996 with the first HD TV broadcast and it took another five years to bring it to DBS in the form of the Dish 6000HD.

I should have been clearer. But tyhat was my point. Those who keep asking for 4k channels are howling at the moon right now. There is no true 4k content out there now. It's going to take a lot of time and money before we see any 4k broadcasting.

Reactions: ChadT41
There is no true 4k content out there now.
The content is absolutely available in a movie theater near you and since it currently needs to be encoded in its own sweet time, scaling the horizontal resolution from 4096 to 3840 with whatever frame rate pull-down is required should be pretty straightforward.

The reason to dismiss 4K entirely for broadcast purposes is that a high quality 1080p (or maybe even 1080i) will probably look better than a compression hammered 4K for a good long time (the old C-band argument resurfaces).

I'm happy with hd. Just regular ole hd. We have come soooo very far. I don't wanna get to greedy. I was explaining in another thread why getting rid of SD content would be bad, but info wish there was an easier way for us all to enjoy the same high quality picture. I want my movie to look like a movie, and to let myself go, not like I'm actually there, but to rela:mad:except for the scary movies. I'd rather that be like I was actually there when I have the ole lady with me. That could be worth it.)

Are you missing something that CONUS customers are receiving?

Yup we dont get the pentagon channel, none of the fox sports channel come in HD and their SD quality is absolutely poor, and only some movie package channels are in HD and the rest are SD. I am hoping this satellite will help with some of the issues for Hawaii.

Yup we dont get the pentagon channel, none of the fox sports channel come in HD and their SD quality is absolutely poor, and only some movie package channels are in HD and the rest are SD. I am hoping this satellite will help with some of the issues for Hawaii.

They will have a significant number of transponders available (if they choose to use them).

L TP 16 18 20 24 26 28 Hawaii
R TP 19 21 25 27 Hawaii

Reactions: TheKrell
EchoStar 18 110W Spotbeam Tables sorted by transponder or beam.
Geographic names near beam centers have been added for only for reference (not the Dish market for the beam).

Attachments

• Echostar 18 110W Sort by Beam by Transponder.xls
    46.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Echostar 18 110W Sort by Transponder by Beam.xls
    46.5 KB · Views: 115
They will have a significant number of transponders available (if they choose to use them).

L TP 16 18 20 24 26 28 Hawaii
R TP 19 21 25 27 Hawaii
Dish may be holding those as back-up if a xpndr fails, etc. or for future channels they may be required to carry per agreements.

How long till there is 4k content to broadcast?
I'm all for skipping 4K and working on 8K, which is on the horizon. In the meantime, our current HD would get a tremendous boost from the OLED TV's that are dropping in price. I'm suffering from "Future Shock."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts