DISH files SEC form 8-K with AMC-14 Comments

Yeah well could effect Direct and Dish plus any others who use this hardware..

Again Dish's plans do not need to be altered (that much) Echostar 3 still has life to it, the delay could cause a delay of "some" of the planned channels because of the missing 4 transponders that AMC14 would have given them.

Other then that I am hearing the "Eastern Arc" plans are moving ahead.

Yeah well could effect Direct and Dish plus any others who use this hardware..

It will indeed affect others besides DISH - but that is what is relevant to this forum.

It should NOT affect DirecTV at all though, the only scheduled launch right now is the SeaLaunch one set to go up any day now. The D12 launch for 2009 has not been announced for any launch vehicle yet.

< approaches dead horse with stick >

The Russian Proton is one of the most heavily used, most reliable unmanned launchers ever made, with over 325 launches.

Sea Launch also uses Russian launchers.

One of the two "latest and greatest" U.S. satellite launchers uses rocket engines based on (almost identical to) a Russian design.

Russian space hardware, especially launchers, is excellent.

< horse hamburger, anyone? >

"Russian components, American components, they are all made in China."
:)

Thats good to hear Scott. Yeah I wonder if they will try to move some of their other launches ahead of schedule now.

Again Dish's plans do not need to be altered (that much) Echostar 3 still has life to it, the delay could cause a delay of "some" of the planned channels because of the missing 4 transponders that AMC14 would have given them.

Other then that I am hearing the "Eastern Arc" plans are moving ahead.

I wasn't only referring to HD plans, but if read correctly, these new sats were to be part of the all MPEG4 mirrored DISH services - weren't they? Where they were planning to have 3 new birds operational by end of December '08, they may have only 1 (E11). That has to cause some big changes in the game plan, don't you think?

Not at all.

The other two satellites are just going up in place of other existing satellites which still have plenty of life in them. The new satellites give them some better performance (which is needed especially for 129) but things can operate like they are now for quite awhile with no real new issues.

"Russian components, American components, they are all made in China."
:)

Great quote (Though it's Taiwan)... They shouldn't have any problems getting it into orbit but I think the slingshot method used for the Asian satellite would be best as it uses less fuel and more gravity. Either way it will provide at least five years which is enough for AMC to start building another one to replace it.

Not at all.

The other two satellites are just going up in place of other existing satellites which still have plenty of life in them. The new satellites give them some better performance (which is needed especially for 129) but things can operate like they are now for quite awhile with no real new issues.

cool
:cool:

just a question, mostly on topic i think. how much do these launches cost? i'm fully aware they are long drawn out processes, asthey need to be, but i have never seen any figures. i read one items that said a launch could be in the 10 million dollar range, and another that suggested 100 million. i'm just curious.

i would imagine the launch alone would cost several million (or tens of millions), and the satelite many more tens of millions. anyone got any numbers (on average)?

Not at all.

This is not correct related to the E-5 satellite at 129 W. Because of satellite failures, E-5 is using up propellant much faster than it normally would in order to maintain the proper attitude. In fact, the satellite has a wobble to it because of this and this causes the signal problems in some areas. It will need to be taken out of service and moved to a higher orbit sometime in the first half of 2009. It should be noted that satellites today are normally not de-orbited but instead put into a higher orbit such that they are not a problem for 50 - 100 years so some propellant needs to be kept in reserve for this maneuver. The Ciel-2 satellite was scheduled for launch on a Proton as well as the E-13 satellite i.e., CMBStar to be used by China for the Summer Olympics. These are serious impacts for Dish/Echostar.

I find it interesting that Echostar filed the 8K stating the major loss of lease fees if the sat failed. Does that mean that SES Americon is leasing AMC14 to Echostar who is leasing the transponders to Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)