DISH files SEC form 8-K with AMC-14 Comments

While I guess they could do it that way, they are going to do it in a way that uses the least amount of fuel as possible.

Instead of a jet burst non stop pushing it into orbit, you will instead probably have little engine squirts, enough to keep it moving forward to where it has to go, when it starts to slow down it gets another squirt of gas to give it more thrust.

I think its going to take awhile to get there.

Many little engine bursts uses the same fuel and gains the same result as one long burst - it's physics. It's in space, so simple physics applies - only gravitational effects modify the situation.

More than one burst is only needed to change the orbit in more than one way - i.e. one burst for elevation, one burst to correct orbit shape, more bursts to change its position relative to earth (slot).

The only reason it would take months, is that to conserve fuel, they may use a slight burst, and then let it drift slowly to the correct slot.

Scott has said they plan on Turning on the HD locals that are there, I just wonder how much of a delay it will be for those later on the list! I feel bad for Dish network, but you never know with charlie, he could have something up his sleeve just yet! I know I am very happy with their plans (eastern arc) or where it "seems" like they are heading :)

Well one could imagine that it would take almost as much fuel to slow it down as it does to get it started moving which would be one more reason for it to be a slower movement.

That statement is so true, and it pertains to more than just satellites too!!

Well, it may pertain to other things, but not necessarily to satellites. If you apply a thrust to an object in its orbital direction, it will drift out and stabilize in a new higher orbit where the linear velocity is correct. Note that as orbit increases, angular velocity goes down, but linear velocity goes up. Thus a small amount of fuel could get it into the correct altitude.

The bigger problem will be in correcting the orbital tilt. That is going to require a minimum of 2 big burns and likely three. Note that while they are doing all of this, they need to stay away from 22,800 equatorial until the end so they don't hit anything in that crowded orbit.

Many little engine bursts uses the same fuel and gains the same result as one long burst - it's physics. It's in space, so simple physics applies - only gravitational effects modify the situation.

More than one burst is only needed to change the orbit in more than one way - i.e. one burst for elevation, one burst to correct orbit shape, more bursts to change its position relative to earth (slot).

The only reason it would take months, is that to conserve fuel, they may use a slight burst, and then let it drift slowly to the correct slot.

Thats what I was thinking right there. I was wondering if they wouldnt just use a burst let it drift for awhile, and then use a burst when it slows that way most of the movement is drifts and not from the engine themselves. IF they can continue with 61.5 right now and wait for 3-4 months for amc-14 to get there and get tested and then light it up, and not effect their plans then by all means let amc-14 take 8 months to get there, the main thing is to get as much life as possible out of that bird, let them get time to build a spare and use that bird up as from what I know its a really impressive piece of technology!

In order to calm jittery subscribers who might flee to D* over the issue, E* will be trying to appeal to their inner child by showing numerous showings of "The Little Engine That Could" interspersed with the satellite trying to get closer to where it is supposed to be....

Of course D* will counter with another one of its wacky faux movie clips with clips of the Road Runner flicking his tongue at the coyote with the E* logo on his shirt (that'll teach him for using Acme Rockets to launch his satellite)....

...or you could use a clip of Tim Conway's Dorf for dramatic effect......

Sigh...... C'mon Charlie, step up, do something to keep the faithful placated....

awww in space how far is too far really? :)

Thousands / Tens of thousands of miles, along with the difference in orbits (LEO vs GEO) etc. It just isn't happening. :)

However, with this nonsense happening more in recent times, it might be time for a satellite mover / in-orbit repair company to seriously consider the market they may have.

Not worth it. Not that launches are cheap, but the cost of something like that would be enormous to develop, launch, and maintain. Plus, no guarantees that it could address the majority of problems experienced.

And I really hope the shuttle comments were meant as jokes...

Not worth it. Not that launches are cheap, but the cost of something like that would be enormous to develop, launch, and maintain. Plus, no guarantees that it could address the majority of problems experienced.

Anyone who mentions the shuttle fixing this problem has to kidding... If not they should give up the crack pipe.

Depends on the failure and what the overall cost would be. They were playing around last year with maint robots for satellites. It seems that it's something that keeps coming back around.

I think it's partially because some people think 'space' or 'in orbit' is a specific place and partially kidding. I'd like to hope that people know the difference between where the Shuttle goes and where the stationary satellites go. :)

The shuttle cannot reach the orbits these satellites have. shuttle can reach a height of 400 to 560 miles above the earth. The geostationary satellites orbit at about 22,000 miles.

They are not even close.

So with the necessary disclaimer that I know next to nothing about orbital mechanics... Is there even a remote possibility that the possible range of solutions would allow for placing the satellite in an alternate orbital slot? Just a random thought that I can't shake. ;)

Wouldn't matter...it would still need to be in the same actual orbit. The issue is not where in that particular orbit...it's getting to that orbit itself.

IPTV won't help the rural folks by any stretch, so it isn't the 'ultimate answer' (such as your 'forget the sats' remark). However, I do think that IPTV is a good 'option' for some of us.

Let's not forget that the cable internet carriers are in a 'war on bandwidth use' lately, especially Comcast. I doubt they really want to be the transport means to service a competitor. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts