Dish files to activate Cuban spot

I can't believe that there are many sat dishes in Cuba. Especially DBS dishes. The Cuban govt is big into censorship.

Proper planning of E10 pays off eh?

I do see a mistake on their filing. They say that E10's main CONUS beam reaches Cuba. I don't remember seeing a CONUS beam for E10, but anyways, it is not active. 110 CONUS comes from E11 which does reach Cuba.

For the curious.... E10 has 5 transponders of space over Cuba. But four of those are shared with Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico also has 5 transponders over it, with four of those shared with Cuba. See below (click the links to see what is on them):

Spotbeam 48/49 Cuba/Puerto Rico
18 - Used
20 - Used
23 - Used
25 - Used

Spotbeam 48 - Cuba
27 - Not Used

Spotbeam 49 - Puerto Rico
29 - Used

E14(Future 119) will have two transponders on the Cuba beam. Ciel-2 and E12 do not have any spotbeams over Cuba that I am aware of.

I sailed past Cuba last year, and like the geek I am I took my laptop and a USB TV tuner as I wanted to see what television was like in Cuba.

I was surprised to see that almost everything was pirated American television programs. They had on Law & Order that had English vocal, but Spanish subtitles. They covered up the NBC logo with a big blue box. On other channels they had on movies, when I sailed by one of the Indiana Jones movies was running.

I did a digital scan but nothing digital down there, in fact I don't believe anything was being broadcast in Stereo. I guess for their conditions they are lucky to be broadcasting anything at all.

Its going to be interesting to see where Dish goes with this and what kind of restrictions are going to be placed on what can be shown.

This sums it up pretty well.

Having a satellite TV, cellphone, or Internet connection at home is illegal for most Cuban citizens. But that hasn't stopped the spread of such services on the black market.

Another aspect of Cuban life.

Cuba has a government-approved satellite TV service, but it is only available to resident foreigners, tourists and select officials, AP added.

I sailed past Cuba last year, and like the geek I am I took my laptop and a USB TV tuner as I wanted to see what television was like in Cuba.

I was surprised to see that almost everything was pirated American television programs. They had on Law & Order that had English vocal, but Spanish subtitles. They covered up the NBC logo with a big blue box. On other channels they had on movies, when I sailed by one of the Indiana Jones movies was running.

I did a digital scan but nothing digital down there, in fact I don't believe anything was being broadcast in Stereo. I guess for their conditions they are lucky to be broadcasting anything at all.

Its going to be interesting to see where Dish goes with this and what kind of restrictions are going to be placed on what can be shown.

Interesting read. It's hard to believe that a place like that is in shouting distance of America. I feel sorry for the people of Cuba. I hope they can get a new (friendly) government real soon (I'll not hold my breath though).

Also a political move, to make a lot of politicos happy. Very very happy. Might be worth something.... :deal:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts