Dish first timer help

sv777

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
USA
Hi,
I will be getting Dish TV for first time and I have some questions. I want the Smart Pack with an International add on package and my setup is as follows:

- TV 1 in living room-- HD LED TV
- tv2- projection style SD TV (non HD) in spare room
- tv3- thinking about another TV in bedroom, HD LED TV

- I want to receive my channels in HD for my hdtvs and Standard def for my projection TV
- Which receiver should I get (I do not need DVR)
- how much will I have to pay for installation and equipment
- is there any additional fee to receive HD channels?

Sounds like you'd want 3 211's or a 722 and 211. Either way, the cost would be the same. You can go online and purchase a 222 and that will save you $7/month, but depending on how much you pick it up for, may not be worth it. That is the cheapest route.

Sounds like you'd want 3 211's or a 722 and 211. Either way, the cost would be the same. You can go online and purchase a 222 and that will save you $7/month, but depending on how much you pick it up for, may not be worth it. That is the cheapest route.
I would say the 3 211s.
I wouldn't bother with the 2 rooms HD/ SD Duo receivers especially if you don't want DVR.

The 211s have no issues being connected to SD tvs.

That's only $14 per month in fees, and you can buy and activate a Hard drive to each 211, for $40 per account(plus the cost of the Hard drives) and never pay another monthly DVR fee like you do with the 722 and Hopper.
Which is a Fee that could be raised.

If you don't want a Commitment you can Buy all 3 of the 211s for around $250-300 depending on where you get them.
Dish will install all of them for free if you buy them off DISH.

If you don't mind the commitment, It will still be no cost based on credit approval.
I doubt they will charge to install the international setup if you plan on signing commitment.
But they may Charge you $99 -150 if you choose to own.

But by leasing you will also get free programming offers.
But the Price Lock requires Top 120 + Package minimum.
That starts at $49.99.

HD may have a $10 charge I if you choose not to do Autopay.

In this specific case, the EHD would cost more than just having the 722. I agree with most points, but since he will have $14 in fees one way or the other monthly, adding a $40 fee plus EHD cost is just not fiscally responsible. Plus, he can share between the 722. If it were me, and I were paying the same cost no matter, I would go 722/211, but if he wants more independence for the same price(with less function such as VOD and possibly sling should he go that route) the 211 would be the best choice.

To clarify the correct info above in the other posts;
1. To get the current promotion which does save alot off the cost, you can sign for a two year commitment, get a bigger package than what you posted plus international programming but at a very cheap cost for the main package and get the install for free. The clarification is you do not have to stay with that package, you can get what you posted, the smart pack anytime you want but the discounts go away and you are still in a two year deal.

2. You will save no fees buying your own equipment or getting it from DISH because there is no actual lease fee. If you go the contract route it is probably better to get the equipment from DISH. However there is a benefit to owning a receiver. Should you decide you don't need TV in a room for a month here or there you can save the fee and have that receiver turned off if you own it. If you don't own it you would have to send the receiver back to DISH if you deactivate it. You may have no need to turn off service in one room, some people do.

3. If you don't really need a DVR, but still would like one... that's where getting the 211 receiver comes in. They are not DVR's, however if you buy your own self powered external hard drive, for a one time $40 cost (One time not one time per receiver) the 211 is greatly enhanced. It becomes a DVR but no DVR fee is charged, and it then has an 8 day program guide, otherwise I believe it has a three day guide. It also of course provides a way to save programs to the hard drive.
The only downside is the programs on the hard drive can never be used on any other DISH receivers. All the other receivers can share an external hard drive between any other model receiver that accepts an external hard drive not with the 211 however, the 211 can only share between 211's.
The 722 has two outputs, one HD one SD. So for your needs that could work and add a 211 for the third room. Just keep in mind you can't mix and match external hard drives if you decide to get them, and with no external hard drive the 211's have a 3 day guide not a regular 8 day.

4. HD can be free if you do auto pay per month, and I believe if you get paperless billing. If you get the Welcome package the locals are in HD with or without HD on your account, but most other programming is not in HD with the welcome package even if you have HD on your account. That may be reason to get something more, like the Top120 with a new customer promotion so that all the channels available in HD are in HD in for your account.

Reactions: Troch77 and ChadT41
Just remember for the Price Lock the 120 PLUS is required.

The 12 month promo, I'm not sure what the minimum is.

And Chad the only reason I don't recommend the 722 is simple.

I don't like the 722 because if he decides he wants HD TV in that room, now he has to call Dish and setup another service call, or Hope dish will give him 2 -211s to replace his 722.
Might as just get all 3 211s and be done.
Especially since he stated DVR is unimportant.

There is a good Chance when his SD tv goes, he's not going to be able to buy another SD tv .

Reactions: Tampa8
Probably not a big deal either way but I do think getting 211's in his case may be the way to go.

I also have to amend one thing I posted. It appears DISH has just started to add some channels in HD to the Welcome pack and Smart pack.

Hi thanks for all the replies. I decided at the moment that I will not be getting TV3 for the bedroom. I was under the assumption that HD receiver will let me get HD for all channels but now I know that it depends on if the channel supports HD. I am only planning on getting only Smart pack (which channels support HD?) and I don't think the international channel supports HD, correct?. I was wondering if my HDTV will work with a standard non HD receiver ?

Do you know how HD looks on a 4K TV?
Nope, I have yet to find the need to jump on the 4K bandwagon. It may look better, and be pretty, but just not enough for me yet. I know how SD looks on an HD TV, and depending on the source, it is not all that bad. Star Wars looked pretty good, actually.

Nope, I have yet to find the need to jump on the 4K bandwagon. It may look better, and be pretty, but just not enough for me yet. I know how SD looks on an HD TV, and depending on the source, it is not all that bad. Star Wars looked pretty good, actually.
Thanks

Will SD channels look better on my HDTV if I use HD receiver? Also I heard some say that if I use SD receiver on my HDTV then the quality will be subpar to viewing it on SD tv, is that true? On average how much more will I pay for HD setup compared to SD setup? Also does SlingTV stream all channels in HD, even international channels?

Will SD channels look better on my HDTV if I use HD receiver? On average how much more will I pay for HD setup compared to SD setup?
There is no price difference in SD and HD setups. Like equipment costs the exact same monthly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts