DISH FIRST TO OFFER TV SERIES IN 1080P RESOLU

So the two or three people who have seen this are reporting that it's actually 1080i, no 1080p test, no 1080p video.
If you are referring to my post, I mentioned that my 1080p display is unable to do 1080p/24.
It is 1080p/60 only. :( and that is why I got a 1080i presentation.

Since the presentation is FREE, I imagine there is no reason to "test" and see if your TV is capable of 24fps, (as it does for the $5.99 PPV option) but just goes ahead and starts the show in the best resolution that your TV is capable.

And at the end of my review, I did praise it and will posit that it as good as the best VooM or HD Net show you can remember.

Let's wait and see what someone who has a 1080p/24 capable TV says, shall we?

Also 5.1 and 7.1 audio are only available on HDMI (or 5.1/7.1 analog in, something not found on TVS).
I have my Denon connected via optical Toslink and I can assure you it will play DD when present. (though not the newer Dolby TrueHD codec)

I just don't see what the big deal about 1080p is.

Does the 1080p version still have 2-channel sound like the A&E version?
It not so much that it is 1080p but that it does 24 frames per second. That eliminates the need for 2-3 pulldown and allows you to see the film (not video....video is 99.9% shot at 30 fps) without phony frames being added and minimizes judder.

As someone mention earlier, the 1080p part only comes into play on the really, really big screens.

As far as the sound question...the DishONLINE version was Dolby Pro-Logic. Surround Sound sure...just not as robust as the discrete channel presentation of Dolby Digital 5.1.

I have a 1080p display. I meant 1080p versus 1080i.

So, you are only interested in what the marketing gibberish means, and not in any scientific facts ?

Aside from the graph above, there is also the fact that since the changeover to HD digital video, most dramatic TV shows and movies have chosen to add various "artistic" techniques that effectively lower the resolution of the image (for example, facial detail in Quantum of Solace in my local theater was far less than NBA on ESPN in 720p).

PS 1080i is an antiquated system where 540 lines are sent that comprise half the screen and then the other 540 lines are sent that are the other half of the screen. Interlaced was needed for old TV sets in bygone eras, it is baffling why they used it in HDTV....

Last edited:
So the two or three people who have seen this are reporting that it's actually 1080i, no 1080p test, no 1080p video. This has got to be the biggest total fricken scam-lie-bs job by E* yet! I wonder if this Jessica Insalaco knows that she is spreading completely false information for charlie?

Seems like you're not really up to speed on the technology. The Dish feature requires a digital path with equipment capable of handling 1080p/24. For the most part, only the newest equipment will handle 1080p/24 - even my two year old set will only take 1080p/60, but my two year old Onkyo receiver has a firmware problem that prevents any 1080p from being passed through it.

So no, they're not lying. You must have the proper equipment though.

...Seems like you're not really up to speed on the technology....no, they're not lying...
Not sure what you mean? Where's the reports of seeing it in 1080p? So far we have three people, two of which have capable setups, all who are saying no 1080p.

...Since the presentation is FREE, I imagine there is no reason to "test" and see if your TV is capable of 24fps, (as it does for the $5.99 PPV option) but just goes ahead and starts the show in the best resolution that your TV is capable....
So every other 1080p presentation has done a 1080p test, but because this one is free there is no test? Please explain.

Let's wait and see what someone who has a 1080p/24 capable TV says, shall we?
We already have-
Post #9 http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...offer-tv-series-1080p-resolu.html#post1667129
Post #26 http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...fer-tv-series-1080p-resolu-2.html#post1667574

I have my Denon connected via optical Toslink and I can assure you it will play DD when present. (though not the newer Dolby TrueHD codec)

You're correct. When a discussion of cable carrying DD pops up my mind locks on DVD audio and I forget core 5.1 works fine on optical.:D

Well it finally downloaded, only took 12 hours! I have 18 mbit Comcast.

However, when playing, my TV shows it playing at 1080i, not 1080p. My LCD is capable of 1080p, and is a new Sony 52" LCD. Anyone actually confirm that it is 1080p?

I think lots of people have confusion about 1080P support on E*. If I understand correctly When you purchase 1080P PPV (Atleast VOD) it will check through HDMI that your TV support resolution of 1080P/24 FPS or not. If you TV does not support 1080P/24FPS then it will give you popup saying it will play movie in resolution supported by TV, which might be 1080I. I have JVCTV which supports 1080P but does not support 24FPS. So mine will not display movie in 1080P but it will display in 1080I.

This could be same in IPTV. :)

So every other 1080p presentation has done a 1080p test, but because this one is free there is no test? Please explain.
Just my WAG (wild assed guess) that if I wanted to watch a 1080p presentation @ $5.99 a pop the receiver would see if the TV was 24 fps capable and if it came back 'NO' I would say "to hell with it....I'll wait for it to show up on HBO".

Since there is 'no harm-no foul' with a FREE presentation, why bother doing the test?

I thought Dish passed native signal. I thought it was mentioned earlier in this thread that native HD on A&E was 720p.:D
Dish does not do native. You set up your resolution in menu 6-8 (HD choice of 720p or 1080i)

As far as my on-the-fly comment, I imagine Dish (or A&E) compresses the signal and is not sending out the full 1920 × 1080 resolution on the standard A&E HD channel.

That would explain why the DishONLINE version looked better to me than the copy I recorded earlier in the week.

I'm sure one of the resident geeks here can tell us the true resolution of A&E. :D

I guess I am one of the few who have downloaded it successfully and it won't play in 1080P even though I can watch 1080P on ch 501. Now I'm not sure if my TV just says ch 501 is 1080P 24hz and changing the resolution... My old TV was 37" 720p and I had my 622 set to output 1080i and the tv said it was 1080i. Food for thought!

How can you tell what the specific resolution of a channel is?

...why bother doing the test?
Because it has already failed to pass 1080p to two people (make that three) so far who are capable. So IF they are trying some kind of auto-sensing method, it aint working yet. Besides, you would think they would FORCE 1080p mode, not let it fall back, since it's FREE. Not the other way around.

Personally...

I like the warped reference to the Sex Pistols in an earlier post. It is much more interesting than the content of this supposed download.

:D
Enjoying Space Cowboys on penny Skinemax
SatBoyz

PS 1080i is an antiquated system where 540 lines are sent that comprise half the screen and then the other 540 lines are sent that are the other half of the screen. Interlaced was needed for old TV sets in bygone eras, it is baffling why they used it in HDTV....

I'll take sports on CBS and NBC in 1080i over ABC, FOX and ESPN at 720p any day. Theory does not always hold true to reality. Each has their pros and cons, but 1080i is hardly antiquated.

1080p at what bitrate? To call it comparable to BluRay is a real stretch. Frankly I think D* and E* should stick to 1080i

No, I have not seen Dish Network 1080p yet, but if TurboHD is any indication of their HD quality then FiOS, and others, have nothing to worry about. In all fairness, the FiOS DVR is better than 90% of the cable DVRs out there, but they certainly suck when compared against the VIP line of DVRs, which is clearly head-and-shoulders above all others. Instead of wasting time money on this 1080p gimmickry, Dish Network should focus on returning their HD quality to the way it was prior to the DishHD/TurboHD era...most HD enthusiasts would be estatic.

Additionally, VOD brings up an interesting question of whether the DBS companies should be paying cable franchise fees if they are delivering subscription based video via IP: traditional cable pays them, Verizon and their fiber-to-the-premise FiOS TV pays them, and AT&T and their U-Verse IPTV pays them too.
Agree 100%

All I can say is that the download speed of the IP-VOD is way too slow..
It's been 18 hours so far and only 72% done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)