DISH FIRST TO OFFER TV SERIES IN 1080P RESOLU

I like the warped reference to the Sex Pistols in an earlier post. It is much more interesting than the content of this supposed download.

:D
Enjoying Space Cowboys on penny Skinemax
SatBoyz

Thanks man, If they came out with 1090p sets, then we would get the same old tired thing.

The industry is just robbing us suckers blind. Are they putting stuff in our water or what?

Besides, you would think they would FORCE 1080p mode, not let it fall back, since it's FREE. Not the other way around.
Since maybe 2% of the HDTVs out there can do 1080p/24 while 100% of HDTVs are compatible with 1080i, I find it hard to believe that they would force something that would give an hour of blank screen to virtually all TVs.

Since maybe 2% of the HDTVs out there can do 1080p/24 while 100% of HDTVs are compatible with 1080i, I find it hard to believe that they would force something that would give an hour of blank screen to virtually all TVs.

Not only that, but many more of those sets that can't accept 1080p24 can still properly deinterlace film-source content and extract 1080p24 when delivered as 1080i60. If you understand the technology, you should snicker whenever you see Dish advertise "1080p".

What is far more interesting about the 1080p programming is that it's high bit-rate, not that it's delivered as 1080p24. The last three TVs I bought can all extract and reconstruct 24fps progressive frames from film-source 1080i, so 1080p24 from the receiver is irrelevant to me.

I can't get DishOnline programming to download anymore. It has been sitting at 0% for the past hour and my internet is working just fine. Running into too many issues with DishOnline! I reset my broadband connection as well as resetting the receiver, yet no luck whatsover :(

All hype, no content.

Actually HD is no longer the "in" thing. Its the sad and tired technology companies that have been getting rich off us and hiring oversears workers.

Look at the economy now, F&%$ HP, Samsung, LG. Phipips et.al.

May the tech companies go bankrupt. Take all the content providers with em.

God gave the King, the facist regime! Threre is no future, for USA ...man.

Electronics are the only goods still selling with some strength during these down economic times. It is the only bright spot regarding retails sales, and those sales are for HDTV's by far! Part of the reason for this continued good sales of consumer electronics is that many families view the purchase of a big HDTV or other home entertainment systems as investments in entertainment at home, costing far less than the $50-$100 night out at the movies each week. People are budgeting by staying home, and the purchase of a consumer electronic like an HDTV makes staying home nicer.

Sorry, but HDTV is still very much the big "in" thing, and will be for quite some time as the analog conversion takes place and more people replace their dead CRT. In fact, it is really the only thing that can save the pay-TV industry now. As people buy more HDTV's (even secondary and tertiary ones) they will demand more HD channels and content because they paid a good amount of $$ for that HDTV. They want their money's worth.

Electronics are the only goods still selling with some strength during these down economic times.
I haven't seen any solid numbers, but this sure seems right from what I see (or saw) at Circuit City, Best Buy, Micro Center, and from the prominence of ads for HDTVs and HDTV eqiipment in ads emailed from online retailers. It's also true for my family; I recently threw in the towel on SD and bought 3 new LCD HDTVs.

Yet we have the jaw-dropping Charlie Chat last year when he declared HD not so important to Dish. It's a dramatic change from his ealier pronouncements. Do you think he's lying, or Dish really can't benefit from all these HD packages?

I haven't seen any solid numbers, but this sure seems right from what I see (or saw) at Circuit City, Best Buy, Micro Center, and from the prominence of ads for HDTVs and HDTV eqiipment in ads emailed from online retailers. It's also true for my family; I recently threw in the towel on SD and bought 3 new LCD HDTVs.

Yet we have the jaw-dropping Charlie Chat last year when he declared HD not so important to Dish. It's a dramatic change from his ealier pronouncements. Do you think he's lying, or Dish really can't benefit from all these HD packages?

Over the years, Charlie has been a tad clueless about quite a few things. He's not a really big tech guy as you can tell from the chats. I suspect that particular statement was made because E* was not in a position to offer any more HD, national or local, so he said that to deflect. He gives stupid reasons all the time in the quarterly earnings chats with analysts as to why E*s performance is what it is.

I have no idea what's going on with Dish and Direct. They had cable on the ropes with the # of channels, etc. However, they seem to be focused on HD/Digital locals right now. Does next month's transition have them distracted? I guess that's where their resources must go? They keep this up and suburban dollars like mine will go--elsewhere.

As far as the sound question...the DishONLINE version was Dolby Pro-Logic. Surround Sound sure...just not as robust as the discrete channel presentation of Dolby Digital 5.1.

Well that matches what was broadcast on A&E then. It was output from the Dish receiver as DD 2.0. I think it was PL encoded because my audio receiver's PL decoder did a much cleaner job of creating surround channels than it does when it's faking it with a plain stereo signal.

...I find it hard to believe that they would force something that would give an hour of blank screen to virtually all TVs.

I understand. But, I was just using your logic kinda in reverse. That if the content is available from another source, which is plain old A&E HD, then why not only allow people with 1080p capable setups view this show by forcing the format. Doing this would leave no doubt that it's a 1080p presentation. So far the truth meter is pegged into the red.

Like others reported, mine was finally downloaded this morning and was in 1080i despite my having a 1080p/24 compatible set.

gb might mean gigabit, not gigabyte. If you divide your result by 8 (assuming no ec bits), you get around 5GB, which is not unreasonable.

If it's taking 24 hours to download 5GB then they need to re-evaluate the delivery method. If it's saying the download speed is .45mb/s then that means it's only downloading at 56KB/s if that mb/s is megabits and not megabytes. If it is megabytes (which makes sense) then that goes back to my original figure of it being almost 32GB in size. Your numbers make more sense but that also means the speed is insanely slow!

Like others reported, mine was finally downloaded this morning and was in 1080i despite my having a 1080p/24 compatible set.

If it's taking 24 hours to download 5GB then they need to re-evaluate the delivery method. If it's saying the download speed is .45mb/s then that means it's only downloading at 56KB/s if that mb/s is megabits and not megabytes. If it is megabytes (which makes sense) then that goes back to my original figure of it being almost 32GB in size. Your numbers make more sense but that also means the speed is insanely slow!

With these kinds of DL speeds, I think we can call this experiment a dud. Who wants a 32GB, 50 minute, TV show in the first place, if that's the size it is.

I suspect it is a limitation of the NIC in the receiver rather than on the delivery side.

I suspect it is a limitation of the NIC in the receiver rather than on the delivery side.

No way... at minimum, a quasi-modern NIC will be 10/100. No one even reported 3Mbps. Other stuff from Dish Online has traveled faster. This was a case of under capacity on the delivery side.

Not sure what others seen but when I went to download it I got a screen that said my TV was not 1080p capable, download anyways? My set is a 720p set.

My set is also 720p, I didn't receive a notice that my tv was not capable of 1080p or anything. I downloaded it fine over night and it looked great, But after about 20 minutes it had a hiccup with a black screen for a few seconds and then came back and still looked great but the sound was off and kept getting worst. The lip sync function on the tv did not help the problem. Got so bad after another 10 minutes I had to stop watching. Maybe I'll try downloading it again.

No way... at minimum, a quasi-modern NIC will be 10/100. No one even reported 3Mbps. Other stuff from Dish Online has traveled faster. This was a case of under capacity on the delivery side.

Mine downloaded at close to 5mbps and took about 4 hours. I guess once the word got out a lot of people started downloading it which slowed it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)