DISH FIRST TO OFFER TV SERIES IN 1080P RESOLU

All I can say is that the download speed of the IP-VOD is way too slow..
It's been 18 hours so far and only 72% done.
With Netflix and VOD on the rise, I see Cable and the Telcos implementing download quotas and limiting video downloading during peak hours. Customers may have to pay their ISP a premium in order to quickly download video...or wait just as long as snail-mail. I have mixed feelings about this, but I would hate to wait on SatelliteGuys web pages to be displayed because some schmoe is downloading the entire Netflix BD library.

Mine finished downloading overnight and I watched it today. The picture quality was great - probably the best I've seen short of Blu-Ray. In two or three spots there was pixilation and image/sound breakup, however.

If this were more on-demand, I'd probably enjoy watching shows this way. But in its current incarnation where it takes a full 24 hours to get the content, I'm not sure this is very interesting.

With Netflix and VOD on the rise, I see Cable and the Telcos implementing download quotas and limiting video downloading during peak hours. Customers may have to pay their ISP a premium in order to quickly download video...or wait just as long as snail-mail. I have mixed feelings about this, but I would hate to wait on SatelliteGuys web pages to be displayed because some schmoe is downloading the entire Netflix BD library.

There are some areas where Time Warner is already capping bandwidth on RR customers, only the high usage ones of course. First the companies rape us for broadband relative to the cost in other parts of the world and now they want to control how much we use it. All because they don't want to reinvest/invest in the infrastructure without us the consumers, paying for it before they have to provide it. There is way too much greed in these companies in which the execs want to line their pockets first and worry about the future viability of their companies.

In Japan, for $15/month they get 20+megabit service and have for years, plus it's 5 or more upload. My 7 megabit Road Runner is $45/mo, ridiculous.

Acer

IP Provider problem

Still nothing for me, I have even tried to DishOnline to download some SD programing, and it will not download. It just says 0.00 mb/s and nothing happens for hours. I tried deleting it, and starting over also.

I have two 722's, and neither can download anything from DishOnline. I have reset my modem, router, and even put them on the DMZ, but nothing works.

I just got the 616 upgrade, and I know it worked before that, so maybe they have yet another update to fix what they did wrong.

It sounds very much like your IP provider doesn't allow that much bandwidth per customer. I'm getting a 1080p Panny this week but have a feeling that I may be in the same shoes w/ the cheesy IP provider I have here.

I only have 3Mbit/sec DSL service due to my distance from the CO, and I am downloading "Beast" to my 622. Claimed speed is ".17Mb/s", though I am simultaneously running a Bittorrent client which is taking up 190kbyte/s of download. Progress display does not seem to be accurate - it said 16 hours remaining just a few hours ago, and how it says eight, and if anything, my Bittorrent client is consuming more bandwidth now than it was earlier.

Has anyone been able to view this program in 1080p? I still haven't seen a yes. My 1080p/24 set plays it in 1080i. The quality is very good but it is still a disapointment after more than 24 hrs. of download time. Just think if I wanted to download a movie it would only take me 2 days, I guess it would be OK if you are really patient and plan way ahead.

Still waiting on my download and it has been 24 hours plus ...

I have successfully rented the VOD 1080P stuff in the passed, so my TV should work for this ...

Still waiting though ...

Has anyone been able to view this program in 1080p? I still haven't seen a yes. My 1080p/24 set plays it in 1080i. The quality is very good but it is still a disapointment after more than 24 hrs. of download time.

So far as I know, nope. I also have a 1080/24p set that previously passed the 1080p test and it plays in 1080i for me. I think dish just messed up somewhere. Lets see if next weeks episode works right.

I also agree that the quality is great, makes me sick to think of what dish looks like normally

I'll take sports on CBS and NBC in 1080i over ABC, FOX and ESPN at 720p any day. Theory does not always hold true to reality. Each has their pros and cons, but 1080i is hardly antiquated.

It's definitely antiquated. Interlacing is not needed for any TV made in the last 8-10 years.

What you call "sports" is undoubtedly the NFL where 320 pound guys stand around for 3 hours. Since there is hardly any more movement than in Meet The Press, you don't see the effects of being half the speed of 720p.

But don't take my word for it, take the word of Lucasfilm's Director of Computer Graphics Research:

720 > 1080

Last edited:
I also have a 1080/24p set that previously passed the 1080p test and it plays in 1080i for me. I think dish just messed up somewhere. Lets see if next weeks episode works right.

1080i vs 1080p is irrelevant for your set (a 1080p native display) if your deinterlacer is any good.

It's definitely antiquated. Interlacing is not needed for any TV made in the last 8-10 years.[/URL]

That is a ridiculous statement. Did you just crawl out from under a rock in the last four years? I've bought about ten HDTVs starting in 2000, and I can tell you that in 2000 there were no microdisplay sets. It wasn't until 2001 that Mits introduced a DLP RPTV, and even later before they had a full line. Back then the HDTVs we were watching were CRT-based RPTVs which were all 1080i.

A 720p signal delivers less than half the resolution (half the total pixels) of 1080i signal when the source is 24fps film. 1080i can deliver the full 1080p24, 720p cannot.

I only have 3Mbit/sec DSL service due to my distance from the CO, and I am downloading "Beast" to my 622. Claimed speed is ".17Mb/s", though I am simultaneously running a Bittorrent client which is taking up 190kbyte/s of download. Progress display does not seem to be accurate - it said 16 hours remaining just a few hours ago, and how it says eight, and if anything, my Bittorrent client is consuming more bandwidth now than it was earlier.

I have a 3Mbit DSL and my download speed is also around .17. I checked the Netgear utility that came with my Powerline units and it claims that they are getting 10-12, more than enough to handle the downloads.

After the download I think I'll connect a laptop to one of the Powerline units and check the speed to make sure it's not on my end.

It's definitely antiquated. Interlacing is not needed for any TV made in the last 8-10 years.

What you call "sports" is undoubtedly the NFL where 320 pound guys stand around for 3 hours. Since there is hardly any more movement than in Meet The Press, you don't see the effects of being half the speed of 720p.

But don't take my word for it, take the word of Lucasfilm's Director of Computer Graphics Research:

720 > 1080

Again, all theory.

And my 5 yeard old, 57" RP CRT @1080i will blow away all but the best displays of the newer technologies. And I paid a fraction of the cost of a microdisplay or flat panel at the time.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen any program on FOX or ABC that has the same detail and sharpness as CBS or NBC.

Not saying it all has to do with resolution as there are many factors, but theory that has not stood the test of time is 720p is better than 1080i, even for sports.

Why didn't Blu-Ray just go 720p. :)

Proving in one sentence that you don't understand the argument and did not read the link.

Blu-Ray is 1080p .

I read the link and have seen it before.

The way you posted about 720p be vastly superior than 1080i, I through in the comment about Blu-Ray....with a :)

I well aware of Blu-Ray resolution.

Hope you enjoy antiquated technology because 1080i will be here for quite a while.

Well, I have watched the 501 VOD 1080P stuff successfully before on my TV.

Spent the 2 days downloading this thing ... all my TV shows is 1080i :(

It would make more sense for me to record it versus spending the days, literally, downloading this thing.

I might try once again though to see if they fix the 1080P thing ... otherwise ... not worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)