Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
[h=1]Social Conversations on TV Made Possible by DISH with New Hopper App[/h]

• Industry’s first and only set-top app that delivers on-screen social content relevant to the show or channel a viewer is watching
  • Connect up to eight social media accounts to Hopper DVR and post from within the app to personal Twitter and Facebook accounts
  • Interact with Twitter feeds relevant to on-screen shows and follow personal Twitter or Facebook feeds

"Through our Social app, we’ve made it easier for consumers to follow social conversations and post in real-time without leaving their TV screen."
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH today launched Social, the latest in a series of new apps for the Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR, gives consumers the power to join social conversations about their favorite shows on their TV screen. DISH’s Social app on Hopper is the first set-top box application capable of providing contextually-relevant social feeds. Fans can multitask between watching a show on TV and following social posts about it on the same screen.

“Last year, Twitter saw 32 million Americans tweet about TV programming, an incredible display of consumer interest in wanting a more social experience from TV,” said Jimshade Chaudhari, director of product marketing and management at DISH. “Through our Social app, we’ve made it easier for consumers to follow social conversations and post in real-time without leaving their TV screen.”

The new Social app is accessible via DISH’s “quick launch” bar (to access, press the blue button on remote control) on the Hopper. Customers can link up to four Twitter and four Facebook accounts to the app. Viewers have three options for the type of content displayed in the status bar, which is located on the right side of the TV screen when the app is open:

• Now Watching: shows the Twitter feed relevant to the show or channel the user is currently watching.
  • My Twitter: displays the user’s personal Twitter feed (if logged-in) and gives them full Twitter functionality, including the ability to “Favorite” a tweet, reply to a tweet, retweet a post and create a new Tweet.
  • My Facebook: displays the user’s personal Facebook feed (also requires log-in) and gives users the ability to post a status update, with the option of selecting one of several pre-drafted, easy-to-use updates.

The Social app also contains a data bar at the bottom of the viewer’s TV screen that displays stats and relevant information related to the program being watched. Displayed information includes stats about the top areas in the country where people are Tweeting about the program, the program’s sentiment rating, percentage of Tweeters by gender and frequency of Tweets.

Today’s announcement builds upon DISH’s focus on giving consumers the social functionality they crave from their TV-viewing experience. Recently, DISH also announced enhancements to its DISH Anywhere™ mobile app that give consumers the power to follow and post on Twitter and Facebook about shows they are viewing. Earlier this year, DISH announced the DISH Explorer second-screen app, which includes social features such as the ability for customers to track Twitter posts of fans of programs they are watching, and post directly to their Twitter and Facebook accounts from their iPad.

Haha, they just had to add that note in there didnt they? Dish Network wants to be innovative, probably kinda like Apple. They seem to have started an industry first with this one. I am surprised nobody has not done this before now. I can see others doing this same thing unless Dish put some kind of patent on the idea.

So when do they activate the SatGuys app? :D

Note: This SatGuy and many others believe CBS exerts editorial control that is excessive.

This is cool for people who are really into social networking. I don't need all my friends and family to know what shows I'm watching but I know lots of people who would love this.

Why do we need 4 Dish apps on our iPad to work with our hoppers though? Dish Anywhere, Dish Explorer, Hopper iPad Transfer app, and now this social app. Come on Dish, roll all these features into one Dish app that does everything. It would just be more convenient. You should be able to watch a show with Dish Anywhere and then bring up the What's Hot feature without closing out, opening the Dish Explorer app, opening what's hot, closing out of Dish Explorer, opening Dish Anywhere again, and finally finding the hot show you just looked up in your guide. It doesn't need to be this complicated.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This is cool for people who are really into social networking. I don't need all my friends and family to know what shows I'm watching but I know lots of people who would love this.

Why do we need 4 Dish apps on our iPad to work with our hoppers though? Dish Anywhere, Dish Explorer, Hopper iPad Transfer app, and now this social app. Come on Dish, roll all these features into one Dish app that does everything. It would just be more convenient. You should be able to watch a show with Dish Anywhere and then bring up the What's Hot feature without closing out, opening the Dish Explorer app, opening what's hot, closing out of Dish Explorer, opening Dish Anywhere again, and finally finding the hot show you just looked up in your guide. It doesn't need to be this complicated.

This isn't an iPad app. It's one of the apps on the Hopper.

Sent from my iPad

This isn't an iPad app. It's one of the apps on the Hopper.

Sent from my iPad

Ok I obviously didn't read the entire article. I am on my phone and I tend to skim large amounts of text like that unless I'm on my computer. My mistake but my point still stands about the number of Dish iPad apps. I love all the stuff they are building for my iPad. I just think the 3 apps we currently have could be rolled into one better app that does it all.

I have to wonder how accurate the show specific data will end up. especially considering how screwed up the guide information can often be. My favorite guide data blunder is on re-made movies where the guide is talking about the movie made last year but the movie from 1950 is the one that is playing.

I assume this is running in real time. So it could be interesting to see the activity around an episode of some show you recorded last night but are watching before work at 6am the next morning.

That note is ridiculous.

I thought Les wasn't going to do any reporting about Dish or "with any companies with whom we have litigation" was how the CNET editors translated Moonves's command from Black Rock. I guess the note is a compromise to salvage CBS News' image. They keep saying, "from CBS News . . ." as a tag line on many of CNET's videos and podcasts. How can any real news organization NOT report about Dish. The note at the bottom is how, I guess.

Just looking at the tweets this morning during Today show and noticed they do not appear to be time zone specific. So I am watching the 2nd hour of Today in the Mountain time zone and the tweets are all about the 4th hour in the Eastern tome zone. This stupid beyond description. If the Today show wasn't 4 hours long, they wouldn't even be talking about the same show I'm watching. Useless unless I'm looking for spoilers for a show that will be on on 2 hours.

Looks like they got some bugs to work out and some things going on that they did not think about. Perhaps they need to keep tweets based upon the time zones that they are in. They could have settings to block those tweets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts