Dish getting tight - no resolution offer from ceo@echostar.com

The fees are the same whether leased or owned. There is no "additional receiver fee" on your first receiver.

There's no lease fee.

How did you get your receiver ?

Wow, that was a long time ago (4 years, maybe longer). I am not 100% sure but I think I paid an "upgrade fee" of around $100 or $150 with a 2-year commitment to HD programs. I think it also included one year free HD, or maybe it was just the HD platinum that was free. There was no discussion of lease vs. own. I definitely owned my prior receiver because the installer left it with me and I sold it on ebay (a two-tuner SD unit - a 625?).

Last edited:
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you got it from Dish, I'm almost positive they only lease equipment ... and paying $100-150 makes it being a lease all the more likely. If you "own" the receiver, it would have cost $400 minimum for something like a ViP622.

You can buy-to-own Dish equipment from affiliated retailers like DishStore or local dealers. You can also purchase from 3rd-party sources like on eBay (caveat emptor!) Purchasing is one way to side-step a contract. I was already locked into a 2-year deal with an 811 (leased) and new programming when the 622 became available. I wanted to upgrade to that model (leased) but wasn't allowed to at the time due to the contract. My option was to purchase a 622 ($500 at the time) and I was able to self-activate it saving a truck roll, so there was no additional cost for the upgrade. Worked for me - YMMV. Based on that experience I would say that another "advantage" of owning is to upgrade when the contract otherwise will not allow it. But rules and conditions may very well have changed since I did my "deal". In fact it's $500 that I would not have had to spend if I was willing to wait until the rules changed or my contract expired...

Last edited:
There are those who don't want to be in a contract,or don't want to be in a package they want to select what they want to watch say HBO only,or locals only.This is a benefit with Dish Network for those who own their equipment.If you don't want to play ball,you can take your ball and go home.;)

I have to be honest. I am not even sure if I own or lease. I must own, because I don't recall seeing any monthly fee besides programming (other than DVR fee) on my bill. I assume there is a monthly fee for leasing. How much is a leased 722?

You should be getting charged 17.00 per month, leased or owned. Makes no diff.

In some cases they want $50-100 to lease just a basic single tuner receiver. You can buy one for that. You save the $15 shipping fee to return it too and no contract. Most customers would not be charged this fee though if they are in good standing for just a standard receiver. If you lease their equipment and something goes wrong with it and you do not have the warranty on your account then you are still expected to pay for another receiver or for a repair if it goes out of warranty which is one year. Sometimes they will work with you and replace the receiver for free though without the warranty required.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you got it from Dish, I'm almost positive they only lease equipment ... and paying $100-150 makes it being a lease all the more likely. If you "own" the receiver, it would have cost $400 minimum for something like a ViP622.

I can answer this question:
When I wanted to buy my 625 that I leased from Dish Network,I asked if I could just buy the 625.
The CSR replied Yes,but I would still have to return my "leased 625" to Dish Network because if I bought a 625 from Dish Network they would send me another one.
When I questioned this the reply was That's our policy.
Unfortunately the price the CSR quoted me was higher than EBay.:confused::eek:

Anyone can call Dish Network to check if their receivers are leased or owned.

Did you ever think about calling or using Chat instead of the e-mail? The ceo address is really for more significant problems. I am not at all surprised you received no response. In fact, I'm glad they did not. It get's abused the way it is. If you want to negotiate, negotiate. Don't wait for a silver platter.

What position do you hold at Dish network? or are you a member of Charlies family or something
If you are from Dish Network you should come out of the closet, I been reading your post around
and decided I had to register and ask. you seem to be very knowlegeblw about Charlies cash cow called
Dish Network, what do you think about Charlie giving it to average middle class families by insanely raising
there monthly bills? by charging per TV, instead of by reciever like when they first signed up under and then
Dish network went and reneged on.

I Coach as well as talk to parents everyday at school and almost every families I know has at least 3 TV's
in the homes, many have 4 or more there bills have hit the roof with Dish Network, should they just have fewer
kids or just get another part time job on top of the one they already have? so Charlie can get a 2 million bonus
instead of 1.5 million?

This Cooperate greed is sickening. and anti American

TP

Antigreedguy, feel free to start your own satellite TV provider and charge "affordable" monthly rates, free equipment, and so on.

Owning versus Leasing both have pros and cons. I personally have chosen to own my equipment. Economically, the leasing folks are better off than I am, but I have a little peace of mind. I do not like being locked in a two year contract in this economy just in case my company downsizes and I am left to 'downsize' my expenses, I can do that without penalty/expense since I own my equipment. IMO

Contracts are B.S. They are just ways to suck you in then rape you if you don't follow the terms even if you have a legitimate reason such as downsizing or loosing your job. It's more important the CEO's eat steak and drive big cars than your family eats. In this economy you would think they would look at other ways to work with the people who pay their lavish lifestyles bills then burn them at the stake. Greed has gone rampant from the government on down, and accelerating at an alarming rate. One never knows what's going to happen from day to day anymore or who will screw you next.

Greed has gone rampant from the government on down, and accelerating at an alarming rate. One never knows what's going to happen from day to day anymore or who will screw you next.

Amen, bro. Not a day goes by where someone new isn't trying to get into my pockets for something. It's way out of hand. The E* 20% rate hike since Jan 2008 (not including DVR fee instatement/hikes) is just one example. Did you get a 20% raise during the worst economic conditions since the great depression? I sure didn't!

What position do you hold at Dish network? or are you a member of Charlies family or something
If you are from Dish Network you should come out of the closet, I been reading your post around
and decided I had to register and ask. you seem to be very knowlegeblw about Charlies cash cow called
Dish Network, what do you think about Charlie giving it to average middle class families by insanely raising
there monthly bills? by charging per TV, instead of by reciever like when they first signed up under and then

I Coach as well as talk to parents everyday at school and almost every families I know has at least 3 TV's
in the homes, many have 4 or more there bills have hit the roof with Dish Network, should they just have fewer
kids or just get another part time job on top of the one they already have? so Charlie can get a 2 million bonus
instead of 1.5 million?

TP

Really what was this about? Why attack someone just because they are knowledgeable about things here? Doesn't make them a person that works fro Charlie.

Contracts are B.S. They are just ways to suck you in then rape you if you don't follow the terms even if you have a legitimate reason such as downsizing or loosing your job. It's more important the CEO's eat steak and drive big cars than your family eats. In this economy you would think they would look at other ways to work with the people who pay their lavish lifestyles bills then burn them at the stake. Greed has gone rampant from the government on down, and accelerating at an alarming rate. One never knows what's going to happen from day to day anymore or who will screw you next.

What a load of S***. Are you still here gripping about the practices of the awful Charlie. Get real tired of the diatribe. The contracts are so that they get a reasonable return on the investment in the customer by sending them a unit that is worth several hundred dollars. I don't love Charlie but I sure don't hate him. Get really tired of you B***hing about the terrible Charlie. Please don't start with the NPS story now.

instead of 1.5 million?

TP

Corporate greed is the concept America was founded on, so I'm not sure how you get that it's anti-American. We call it capitalism though. A teacher should really know these things. ;P

Yes, they should stop having more kids. If you have 3 TVs and consider yourself the average middle class family, you have issues; or awesome welfare checks, but either way. I am NOT middle class by the present definition (I'm not loaded like Chuck is either,) but I only have two TVs. I should probably hit the mission tomorrow for some chow.

When the country was founded, I dont think you had such few companies with the majority of the business in each sector. It was more of a locally owned store type of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts