Dish H3 4K using splitter to two 4K sets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DERG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I recently installed a Sony VPL-VW 385 ES home theater projector & I decided to give Dish Network's 4K receiver, the Hopper 3, a try. As our theater is located some distance away from where the H3 is located I wasn't sure how our 50' long older HDMI cable would work. We rarely watch Dish Net in the theater so this hasn't been a big concern until now. Our HDMI splitter is 4K compatible so I thought I'd gave it a try. The setup is to use the Oppo's 203 UHD Blu-ray player's HDMI Input, then switch input source accordingly.

I will admit that Dish has been lacking when it comes to 4K content but lately they have had a weekly 4K collage football game shown on their 4K channel 540 on Fridays or Saturdays. So, the window of opportunity to test Dish 4K on the Sony 385 is limited to just the hours the game is broadcast. Last week, before the 4K game was on, I tested a HD program. With the older HDMI cable it begrudgingly passed HD to the 385. The audio was in & out with no picture but finally the HD signal was accepted by the Sony projector as YCbCr 4,4,4, 1920x1080@30Hz. It failed with 4K. Zilch, nothing passed.

This week I ordered the 50' version of Monoprice Active HDMI to replace the older HDMI & waited for the next 4K game broadcast. This time there was no problem with the Sony 385 accepting Dish HD, passing it with the same YCbCr 4,4,4, 1920x1080@30Hz. With 4K, however, it took awhile as it did with HD & the older HDMI but eventually worked. The Sony 385's menu read the signal as YCbCr 4,4,4, 3840x2160@30Hz, RGB. The picture viewed as 102" diagonal was fantastic. Our 55" 4K Samsung reads that same signal as 3840x2160@60Hz. And, this time I recorded the 4K game on the H3's DVR. When playback of the recording the 385 reads YCbCr 4,4,4, 3840x2160@30Hz, BT.709. Why BT.709 for the recording & RGB for the live broadcast I haven't a clue.

If the Dish H3 were closer I'm sure there would be such hesitation to lock-in 4K. 50' of HDMI is borderline without going to fiber optics. But it is good enough for how little we watch Dish in the theater.
203 1.JPG
203 2.JPG
Oppo Video SU.jpg

Are you saying that with the new cable you are getting audio but no video for a short period of time? If so that is normal while the equipment changes from 1080i to 4K. Everyone has that...

Are you saying that with the new cable you are getting audio but no video for a short period of time? If so that is normal while the equipment changes from 1080i to 4K. Everyone has that...

Yes, but I understood that to be normal. Putting 4K into the projector over longer than normal cables is what I believe to be the main reason it takes about 90 seconds to fully lock picture & sound. Total length of HDMI from H3 (upstairs) to the input of the UHD Blu-ray player (basement) is 50'. Then from the UHD player to the projector is another 25'. That's a long ways so I expected 4K to be far different than HD which only takes a few seconds to lock in. Probably fiber optic cable would be better but at 5x the co$t!

I'm not complaining at all. I just wanted to point out my experience in case someone else was about to try something like this.

When I first tried the projector with the original HDMI cable (25') feeding 4K from the UHD BR player (Oppo 203) it took quite awhile before it worked & then it wasn't HDR BT.2020 as it should but BT.709. Bringing the player within 6' & using the player's HDMI supplied cable worked flawlessly. Sony said I needed "Active" type HDMI cables. Once the Active HDMI was installed all was fine.

I'm happy it works with the H3 in this setup. If the Super Bowl happens to be 4K this year I'll be able to put it on the big screen.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, but I understood that to be normal. Putting 4K into the projector over longer than normal cables is what I believe to be the main reason it takes about 90 seconds to fully lock picture & sound. Total length of HDMI from H3 (upstairs) to the input of the UHD Blu-ray player (basement) is 50'. Then from the UHD player to the projector is another 25'. That's a long ways so I expected 4K to be far different than HD which only takes a few seconds to lock in. Probably fiber optic cable would be better but at 5x the co$t!

I'm not complaining at all. I just wanted to point out my experience in case someone else was about to try something like this.

When I first tried the projector with the original HDMI cable (25') feeding 4K from the UHD BR player (Oppo 203) it took quite awhile before it worked & then it wasn't HDR BT.2020 as it should but BT.709. Bringing the player within 6' & using the player's HDMI supplied cable worked flawlessly. Sony said I needed "Active" type HDMI cables. Once the Active HDMI was installed all was fine.

I'm happy it works with the H3 in this setup. If the Super Bowl happens to be 4K this year I'll be able to put it on the big screen.
What is active HDMI cable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)