DISH Hacked - Websites are BACK ONLINE!

I guess I'm lucky. My autopay is on the 21st of each month and my Feb. payment came out just under the wire before the attack. Hopefully by the 21st of this month all will be back to normal.

Yeah, I know.
My DISH autopay is usually around the 5th each month and I get the electronic bill about 10 days prior. DISH autopay hit my credit card yesterday the 8th. Haven't received the bill yet.

Reactions: BarnRat
My DISH autopay is usually around the 5th each month and I get the electronic bill about 10 days prior. DISH autopay hit my credit card yesterday the 8th. Haven't received the bill yet.
My credit card is normally tagged by autopay on the 7th of each month (for the last 20+ years) but I haven't seen the charge yet (today is the 9th).

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just curious, do most Dish techs also install other systems? Like DirectTV?
No. That almost never happens and the only people I know of that do, are private retailers. You might have a guy in your area that is a TV or computer repair service and has a Dish Network sign in his window with one dish fan. That would be a retailer who buys the equipment from Dish, and then either installs it himself or hire someone to go out and do the installations. Some of those guys might do both Dish and DIRECTV. There’s one in our area that’s like that called Peoria Satellite.

Didn’t they stop sending paper bills as of the end of February? All “digital” now?
Yes, on January 23, 2023, they sent a e-mail:
"Subject: We’re switching to paperless bills
We're going paperless

Hi x,

We’re excited to let you know that starting 2/21/2023, DISH is transitioning you to paperless billing - a more convenient and reliable way to pay your bill while decreasing environmental impact.

If you’re already enrolled in AutoPay, your payments will continue to auto-draft from the card or bank account you selected. This change will also not affect your ability to make online payments.

If you would like to continue receiving a paper bill, just let us know by selecting the button below. Otherwise, all of your future bills will be paperless and delivered right to your email."

I didn't see this until a week ago as I haven't read e-mails regularly since 2016 and I wanted to opt-out as I prefer to receive a paper bill since I normally do the payments by credit card manually and use the bill to actually write in the payment information along with the confirmation number. Also, I don't do autopsy because if their computer or someone runs the bill high, the bank account and credit card will get cleaned out so even with manual payments, I usually pay the full amount due manually by credit card on the 18th of the month so the balance owed is $0.00, the bill is due on the 17th. On the 1st of the month, I will pay some amount which will cause a credit balance of something between $0.01 to $0.99 so that the credit card account balance ends in $x.88 as my credit card has a 5% rewards which is based on rounding up or rounding down for the last 4% and my credit card statement closes on the 4th of each month as DISH will always take 3-4 calendar days to post the transaction on the credit card XFinity always takes one day only. DISH for whatever reason for payments made on the 2nd, it will not show on the bill printed on that date and will end up in the next billing statement a month later when it comes to payment transactions. The only time I do auto-pay and/or paperless billing is when paper billing is not available and/or there are discounts for having those features as when I am paying for something full price, I am not going to allow them to save money by not printing bills as they would actually save and spend less money and profit higher with the cost of printing and mailing the bills. The other reason I prefer paper bills is for all bills, I have them stacked in chronological order by due date so I will pay it on the date it is due.

Last edited:
Yes, on January 23, 2023, they sent a e-mail:
"Subject: We’re switching to paperless bills
We're going paperless

Hi x,

We’re excited to let you know that starting 2/21/2023, DISH is transitioning you to paperless billing - a more convenient and reliable way to pay your bill while decreasing environmental impact.

If you’re already enrolled in AutoPay, your payments will continue to auto-draft from the card or bank account you selected. This change will also not affect your ability to make online payments.

If you would like to continue receiving a paper bill, just let us know by selecting the button below. Otherwise, all of your future bills will be paperless and delivered right to your email."

I didn't see this until a week ago as I haven't read e-mails regularly since 2016 and I wanted to opt-out as I prefer to receive a paper bill since I normally do the payments by credit card manually and use the bill to actually write in the payment information along with the confirmation number.
I guess this hack put a change to those plans. I can only wonder if for safety sake everyone will be getting a new account number assigned.

I guess this hack put a change to those plans. I can only wonder if for safety sake everyone will be getting a new account number assigned.
The thing is this is really for the people who didn't opt out in with the February 2022 e-mail as otherwise, electronic billing would have started on March 16, 2022 and would have have transitioned to paperless billing. So this one I am sure is for people who opt out or changed to paper billing.

The thing is this is really for the people who didn't opt out in with the February 2022 e-mail as otherwise, electronic billing would have started on March 16, 2022 and would have have transitioned to paperless billing. So this one I am sure is for people who opt out or changed to paper billing.
Do you mean 2023?

Has there been any statement from DISH (or other sources) as to what customer data the hackers got from the DISH system? Did they get credit card numbers and SSNs? Email addresses?

I think DISH at some point has to be up front with their customers as to what the hackers got so that customers can take the appropriate actions to protect themselves.

Do you mean 2023?
No, I meant 2022 as they they sent two emails...
1) On February 1, 2022:
"Subject: We’re switching to paperless bills!
Hi x,

We're going paperless!

But let us know if you'd prefer not to.

We are pleased to inform you that starting 3/16/2022, DISH is transitioning you to paperless billing - a more convenient and reliable way to pay your bill, while also decreasing environmental impact.

If you’re already enrolled in AutoPay, your payments will continue to auto draft from your selected card or bank account. This change will also not affect your ability to make online payments.

If you wish to continue receiving a paper bill, simply click the button below. Otherwise, all future bills will be paperless and provided by email."
So only those who either clicked the button would have opted out or somehow changed to paper would have paper after March 16, 2022.
2) On January 23, 2023 - they sent the e-mail mentioned in post #589 basically for anyone who still had paper bills and for anyone who didn't opt out, they would have transitioned to paperless billing.

Last edited:
One would reasonably think that after over two weeks Dish should be able to provide a general idea of when customers can expect service restoration. I can't imagine after more than two weeks they don't have at least an idea when they'll be back up and running.

Has there been any statement from DISH (or other sources) as to what customer data the hackers got from the DISH system? Did they get credit card numbers and SSNs? Email addresses?

I think DISH at some point has to be up front with their customers as to what the hackers got so that customers can take the appropriate actions to protect themselves.
That can take weeks to months to determine what data was accessed/retrieved. Digital forensics takes time. I'm sure their first priority is patching the holes and getting the system up and running again first.

That is not to say they aren't doing both tasks simultaneously, but one will take priority over the other when there is shared responsibility.

Yes... From DISH.

On February 27, we became aware that certain data was extracted from our IT systems as part of this incident. It’s possible the investigation will reveal that the extracted data includes personal information. The forensic investigation and assessment of the impact of this incident is ongoing. The security of our customers’ data is important to us, and if we learn that personal information was compromised, we’ll take the appropriate steps and let impacted customers know.

One would reasonably think that after over two weeks Dish should be able to provide a general idea of when customers can expect service restoration. I can't imagine after more than two weeks they don't have at least an idea when they'll be back up and running.
Not when you have the feds involved.

Trust me they want thing back online as much as you do.

Yes... From DISH.

On February 27, we became aware that certain data was extracted from our IT systems as part of this incident. It’s possible the investigation will reveal that the extracted data includes personal information. The forensic investigation and assessment of the impact of this incident is ongoing. The security of our customers’ data is important to us, and if we learn that personal information was compromised, we’ll take the appropriate steps and let impacted customers know.
"Personal information" could be a few different things from my name and address to my Email address and phone number to my on-file credit card number and SSN number. It would be good to know sooner than later what the hackers got.