DISH Hacked - Websites are BACK ONLINE!

Different user IDs and different passwords for all critical websites (those that have personal info such as name, address, credit card numbers, cell phone number, email address, etc.) is mandatory. And critical websites need to have the passwords changed regularly.
Also 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) should be activated on any site that supports it -- especially financial institutions.

I called customer service yesterday and they said they are unable to even tell me if they received my payment. I have no idea how true that is. I paid manually through the pay link. Only thing I received was a email confirming my tech appointment for today. I will ask them what they know.
Every time I call them, I get a recording saying they are not taking calls. My payment went through the bank, however, there is no service. Would that constitute a technical issue, and can they be reached?

Reactions: charlesrshell
If it was even a dollar more I would have passed. My two biggest complaints are it greatly slows you down and it constantly tries to up sale you!
There are better ways. With newer routers and more advanced home networking, there is protection you can set up. Everything from router based VPNs to piehole or using private DNS servers to block ads. And most operating systems that we use at the home user level have protections built-in. Most Internet service providers have protections built-in. That’s why you don’t hear about home users getting hit with ransomware, viruses or really, many viruses at all anymore.

I can give you some updates on the situation with Dish I can tell you that recovery is accelerating day by day. There are more call centers and operation centers that are being opened but not fully yet. There’s a lot of hybrid work going on where people who may have been doing sales prior to February 23 are setting up trouble calls now with rudimentary tools, learning the process, and in some places creating a process.

One of the biggest problems is that from the start all access to the Internet was cut off, and most of it still is. There are facilities that have no Internet access and with no Internet access, you’re dead in the water. I asked on a scale of 0 to 100% how far along the recovery is and the answer I got was about 15 to 20%. But, with that said even at 20% we are working. Customers are setting up work orders. We are doing new connects and trouble calls and we expect to be doing upgrades again here relatively soon.

The other thing is that Dish was not unprotected, it’s just that existing protections are not good enough. This happens on a constant basis. Just yesterday, right? AT&T at a vendor that got hit. Do US marshals, thanks, other businesses, and going forward as they rebuild system still be better protections in place, but this group that did this is that a couple of kids sitting in their moms basement. This is a highly advanced, evolving, terrorist organization. This was Dish Network’s 911.

30 years ago, or so, being a hacker meant having an IP sniffer and launching a DDOS attack. As cyber security involves so do the cyber criminals. We are in dark times. But that’s a whole other story lol.

Every time I call them, I get a recording saying they are not taking calls. My payment went through the bank, however, there is no service. Would that constitute a technical issue, and can they be reached?
Try calling late at night
There are better ways. With newer routers and more advanced home networking, there is protection you can set up. Everything from router based VPNs to piehole or using private DNS servers to block ads. And most operating systems that we use at the home user level have protections built-in. Most Internet service providers have protections built-in. That’s why you don’t hear about home users getting hit with ransomware, viruses or really, many viruses at all anymore.

I can give you some updates on the situation with Dish I can tell you that recovery is accelerating day by day. There are more call centers and operation centers that are being opened but not fully yet. There’s a lot of hybrid work going on where people who may have been doing sales prior to February 23 are setting up trouble calls now with rudimentary tools, learning the process, and in some places creating a process.

One of the biggest problems is that from the start all access to the Internet was cut off, and most of it still is. There are facilities that have no Internet access and with no Internet access, you’re dead in the water. I asked on a scale of 0 to 100% how far along the recovery is and the answer I got was about 15 to 20%. But, with that said even at 20% we are working. Customers are setting up work orders. We are doing new connects and trouble calls and we expect to be doing upgrades again here relatively soon.

The other thing is that Dish was not unprotected, it’s just that existing protections are not good enough. This happens on a constant basis. Just yesterday, right? AT&T at a vendor that got hit. Do US marshals, thanks, other businesses, and going forward as they rebuild system still be better protections in place, but this group that did this is that a couple of kids sitting in their moms basement. This is a highly advanced, evolving, terrorist organization. This was Dish Network’s 911.

30 years ago, or so, being a hacker meant having an IP sniffer and launching a DDOS attack. As cyber security involves so do the cyber criminals. We are in dark times. But that’s a whole other story lol.
Really appreciate all your help HipKat.

Last edited:
Dish follow my tech has been greatly upgraded and is so much better! eta direct is the source. Shows your tech name and picture and truck location. With one major flaw it showed him driving and a eta of 15 minutes then stopped and updated now arriving in 4 hours!

• Wow
I wouldn't say that, but Norton by itself isn't enough. I have Norton 360 in tandem with Malwarebytes (not the free version). I've been using this setup for years and never had any issues. And I sometimes visit risky websites.
Meanwhile, it's been 3 weeks with no end in sight and no news. Are we looking at days, weeks, or months before recovery?
I forgot about that one, but I also use the paid version of Malwarebytes the rare times that I’m using windows

I got a similar email saying, "If you are not on Autopay and need to pay your bill, visit mydish.com." I'm on Autopay so I will wait until 3/17 and see if my payment is processed with Autopay. I used DA on my oldest Firestick a couple of nights ago and it worked fine.

My USPS Informed Delivery shows I have a correspondence coming from Dish this afternoon.
mydish.com is not up. You have to go to dish.com.

Dish follow my tech has been greatly upgraded and is so much better! eta direct is the source. Shows your tech name and picture and truck location. With one major flaw it showed him driving and a eta of 15 minutes then stopped and updated now arriving in 4 hours!
You know that kids game stop-go well it seems to be a very confused game of stop-n-go

Story time... After some heavy rains and then snow the ground underneath my NPRM eroded enough to lose 129. My new to me Birdog's were not properly programed, and their site is now completely down. I called Dish in the afternoon to get the "we are too busy to answer" I tried again at midnight and instantly got through. I set up a dish point tech visit and received my confirmation email. The follow my tech was working and eventually showed him close by. ATT blocked a private call no voicemail left. Then it showed arriving 4 hrs later. I got a voicemail from Dish who said its snowing to hard and to reschedule. Its raining and 50f with no snow on the ground or a flake in the air. I tried calling and got the we are too busy. and text is over an hour with some 575+ people in line ahead of me! Another night of streaming I guess. It was the snow lie that got to me!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-15 140306.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-15 140306.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Wow
Just lost all my channels and there is over an hour wait time... Do we know what the issue is and if I finally get a hold of someone will they be able to help ???
In cases where you paid I think two things are catching up with people. Billing is not seen by the other system that periodically sends the authorizations to your receiver. If it doesn't receive it in a timely matter it deauthorizes your programing. Billing told me yesterday they could not see if I paid or not. This is my ASSUMPTION and NOT at all from Dish. But back in the day receivers were not connected to the internet. They were required to phone call out every so often to update billing and programming. Eventually it would lose its authorization.

Thank you !!! You might be on to something... My bill isn't due for another 5 days... I just got the billing statement in my email a day or two ago
The system has been down about the length of time it would want to be updated. NOT to be confused with guide or software updates but programing. If you make a change to your programing a "hit" is sent out immediately. Depending on billing cycle some have gone 3 weeks without this "hit"