DISH Hacked - Websites are BACK ONLINE!

I asked a friend who works here in San Diego at Qualcomm in I.T. He said the limited information the FBI gave them even scared him! And it was as he described "A nuke went off at Dish" They were told to prepare for a similar attack (a worst-case scenario)

My thoughts are they selected Dish for a reason. Was it wealth? Easy access? Thought Dish would pay up quickly? I feel like they are not going after small and definitely not the Apple or Google. The banks are to well protected and would cause our government to go after them. The outcome of Dish and how fast they recover and if they pay a ransome is being closely watched by everyone in the industry the hackers and other hackers. Closing in quickly on 30 days down is concerning. Imagine your bank down for 30 days!

I remain very cautious but not scared. I am doing some things such as saving the last months bills. I also use OneDrive to back up but bought another WD Book HD to backup not just my computer but tablet and cell phone.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I asked a friend who works here in San Diego at Qualcomm in I.T. He said the limited information the FBI gave them even scared him! And it was as he described "A nuke went off at Dish" They were told to prepare for a similar attack (a worst-case scenario)

My thoughts are they selected Dish for a reason. Was it wealth? Easy access? Thought Dish would pay up quickly? I feel like they are not going after small and definitely not the Apple or Google. The banks are to well protected and would cause our government to go after them. The outcome of Dish and how fast they recover and if they pay a ransome is being closely watched by everyone in the industry the hackers and other hackers. Closing in quickly on 30 days down is concerning. Imagine your bank down for 30 days!

I remain very cautious but not scared. I am doing some things such as saving the last months bills. I also use OneDrive to back up but bought another WD Book HD to backup not just my computer but tablet and cell phone.
When you figure out why Dish was targeted, then figure out why the US Marshal Service was targeted around the same time. ;)

You target someone because you can, little else. This happens all the time, to big fish and small.

I really do not know much about this but what I have been told or hear and this guy at Qualcomm said this was not the average attack. Someone a couple of weeks ago on here really seemed to know at that time I am curious what he thinks now.

My autopay triggered tonight. Even though I called in on Sunday and cancelled my service. I fully expected this to happen since they noted the day I intended to cancel on my account and asked me to call back this Sunday to hopefully complete the cancellation.

I guess one way to combat subscriber decline is to prevent people from canceling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got an email with attached regular pdf statement today showing a fifteen percent increase since my two year rate freeze expired during this blackout period when I couldn't talk to a representative and negotiate a new deal. I hope reps will be more available soon.
Same here. My 1 year expired and my bill went up $50. Has anyone had any luck with the retention dept during this mess?

Last edited:

This is why I keep saying that this was Dish Network’s version of 9/11. A full blown terrorist attack.

I wouldn’t feel so secure about banks, either. I forgot which one it was but the largest Ransom paid was $40 million by a bank.

But they have gone after smaller companies and smaller entities like our US marshals office. I bring that one up a lot because it was in the media. They went after some Catholic church association or something like that.

I found a generic list with some other information about that group

KEY DETAILS​

• Prominent Threat: In just two months, the Black Basta gang has added nearly 50 victims to their list as of the publishing of this report, making them one of the most prominent ransomware recently.
  • Targets VMware ESXi: Black Basta’s Linux variant targets VMware ESXi virtual machines (VMs) running on enterprise Linux servers.
  • High Severity: The Cybereason Nocturnus Team assesses the threat level as HIGH given the destructive potential of the attacks.
  • Targeting English-Speaking countries: Black Basta specifically targets the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.
  • Targeting Wide Range of Industries: Black Basta has been observed targeting a range of industries, including manufacturing, construction, transportation, telcos, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, plumbing and heating, automobile dealers, undergarments manufacturers and more.
  • Human Operated Attack: Prior to the deployment of the ransomware, the attackers attempt to infiltrate and move laterally throughout the organization, carrying out a fully-developed RansomOps attack.

My thoughts are they selected Dish for a reason. Was it wealth? Easy access? Thought Dish would pay up quickly?
Because the hackers don't post here and didn't realize Charlie was too cheap to pay up. :D

They are targeting everyone. The cost to launch attacks is nearly nothing, though the cost does increase as the need to go through hacked documents increases as they require blackmail these days to get paid. And the benefits are notable. And as corporations adapt, they are adapting. Cyber-security is actually a massive problem that has been neglected by many. Microsoft has completely screwed it up. Regulators are incapable of regulating it. And hackers are almost completely untouchable.

And people are currently wiring up their homes to Wifi, including appliances, like complete and utter morons incapable of understanding the issue we have with cyber security.

I can't wait until we pay monthly racket fees for protection.

Because the hackers don't post here and didn't realize Charlie was too cheap to pay up. :D

They are targeting everyone. The cost to launch attacks is nearly nothing, though the cost does increase as the need to go through hacked documents increases as they require blackmail these days to get paid. And the benefits are notable. And as corporations adapt, they are adapting. Cyber-security is actually a massive problem that has been neglected by many. Microsoft has completely screwed it up. Regulators are incapable of regulating it. And hackers are almost completely untouchable.

And people are currently wiring up their homes to Wifi, including appliances, like complete and utter morons incapable of understanding the issue we have with cyber security.

I can't wait until we pay monthly racket fees for protection.

Basta released Tri-County Bank (75 branches) worth of data over a month after the attack. DISH just hit 1 month mark. It's like 250GB of data this bank is getting released. They released 30% of it so far. Everything a bank has. They may have uploaded the system images and software stacks for Boost and DISH. Possible source code too. These billers had to be protected. The windows systems were going to get hit eventually.

Reactions: Bruno