Dish HD Absolute and new HD

goresnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Mods, feel free to merge this into another thread if needed.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I am an Absolute subscriber, and I have the new C&I HD channel. Of course, no Fox News HD yet, but that's a whole other topic. First, I was under the impression that we would be getting all the new HD channels being added, then, that we weren't getting any more HD channels. Do any other of you Absolute guys/gals have C&I or the Fox News HD yet?
BTW, I do have the Fox News SD 205 channel.

Fox News on ch 205 is a free preview this month - see channel 102

I too am an Absolute sub. I have C&I but neither of the 2 "new" Fox HD's.

As for being an Absolute sub, no one seems to know......me included. Other than what was mentioned in a Charlie Chat, which insinuated that HD Absolute subs wouldn't get new HD after 2008. :confused:

First of all this thread needs to be merged.

C&I is meant as a replacement for Smithsonian and it was done before Feb 1st and it was made available to everyone who had Smithsonian.

Foxnews SD is a free preview and will go away in a month or two.

Re Foxnews HD and Foxbusiness HD it is not just HD Absolute, even subscribers with HD Turbo packages have not got them yet.

Finally regarding HD absolute the general feeling is that it is grandfathered mode and Dish won't adding anything new.

OK, thanks. I didn't know C&I came that long ago. I'd like Smithsonian back too, my household enjoyed some of the programming, including Sci Q.
I sure wish Dish wasn't just treating Absolutes like we don't exist anymore!
As for merging the thread, feel free! I hadn't seen any comments about Absolute and C&I in the Fox News threads (of course, that point is moot learning that C&I was out earlier!).

I'm just dissapointed that we didn't get close to the 150 national HD that was promised before the end of the year. The absolute would have more... as promised.

That said, other than FoxNews and BBC America, there ins't anything else I'm waiting for and I'm not gona upgrade to turbo just for 2 channels. Now my RSN is another story but that won't be an issue again until football season kicks off again... even then, I may stay put. The price is just TOO good.

Let us know what Ken's excuse of the evening is.
Ken says there is a technical issue and YES, I am supposed to be receiving the channels Fox News HD and Fox News Business HD. Had him verify my package. I have saved the unedited version to send to Charlie if it doesn't pan out. (edited out name and addy info in below transcript) I was told when I signed up for Absolute, that i would be getting all new/upcoming HD channels except premiums. If this doesn't work out, a copy of the transcript will also be going to Foxnews' marketing director.

I know they have escape clauses in their Terms of Service. So does my cell phone company. But both AT&T and Verizon have abided by their own contracts of keeping me on the level of service they provided when I signed up regardless of changes to "new" pricing structures.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of

customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.
You are currently at position number
1 in the queue.
You have been connected to (24DrDcb) Ken R. SES.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. I will be happy to assist you today.

Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: For security purposes I must verify you as authorized on the account. Can you verify your address and

zip code please?
Ronald_Jeremy: 1234 Boogie Woogie Avenue, Bum f**k Egypt 90210
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Thank you for that information.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: I’m very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I’d be happy to resolve that for you. Please give

me 2-3 minutes to look into this for you.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Are you at the television at this time?
Ronald_Jeremy: It is in the living room. I have already done a check switch as well as doing a soft boot by pushing the power

button for several seconds.
Ronald_Jeremy: But yess it is accessible
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: When you ran the check switch and exited the menu then acquired signal, did the Electronic Program

Guide download?
Ronald_Jeremy: Yes it did. It took forever, but I let it complete the download. The channel is not showing up in my guide.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Thank you for that information.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: I am checking here for information on that.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: I will need to submit a technical problem report on this issue for you.
Ronald_Jeremy: So you are saying that I should be seeing the channel?
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: You should be seeing the channel, yes.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: I had another customer with the same programming package just before you chatted with me. He had the

same problem.
Ronald_Jeremy: I thought so. When I bought the UltimateHD package, I was told that I would be receiving all new upcoming HD

channels except premiums.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: That is correct.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: I apologize for any inconvenience.
Ronald_Jeremy: Can you verify what package I am on right now?
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Yes sir.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: One minute please.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: You have the Dish HD Absolute package.
Ronald_Jeremy: Sorry. I was calling it the Ultimate. I meant Absolute. I have been holding off switching to DirecTv because I

knew you guys would be bringing FoxNews HD soon and I like my DVR. I hope they get this problem fixed. Because If it is not

available to me as promised, I may need to make a switch.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: I am sorry once again for the inconvenience. We will be resolving this problem very quickly.
Ronald_Jeremy: Should I expect some communication when the problem is resoved?
Ronald_Jeremy: I will continue checking my guide.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: You should see the programming shortly.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Possibly later this evening.
Ronald_Jeremy: Thank you for your help Ken.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: You're very welcome.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?
Ronald_Jeremy: I don't think you could have been better. :)
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.
Ronald_Jeremy: No!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
(24DrDcb) Ken R. SES: You're very welcome.

My initial question that you have to type b4 you enter chat did not show up in that.

Paraphrased it was 'I am not able to get new channel Foxnews HD or Foxnews Business HD. When I switch to 'All HD' guide' neither show up in the 200 range and only FoxNewsHD shows up at channel 9477 but it is red and not viewable.'

Ken says there is a technical issue and YES, I am supposed to be receiving the channels Fox News HD and Fox News Business HD. Had him verify my package. I have saved the unedited version to send to Charlie if it doesn't pan out. (edited out name and addy info in below transcript) I was told when I signed up for Absolute, that i would be getting all new/upcoming HD channels except premiums. If this doesn't work out, a copy of the transcript will also be going to Foxnews' marketing director.

I know they have escape clauses in their Terms of Service. So does my cell phone company. But both AT&T and Verizon have abided by their own contracts of keeping me on the level of service they provided when I signed up regardless of changes to "new" pricing structures.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one told that Absolute HD subs would receive all new non-premium HD channels when they signed up for Absolute HD, however, I was also told the price of $29.99 was only guaranteed until Feb 2009. So from this I believe I am entitled to new HD as it becomes available and to probably expect a price increase on my next bill. :rolleyes:

I would be thrilled to just keep my HD Absolute EXACTLY like it is now for as long as possible -- same channels, same price :) Dish would have to add a lot more/different HD channels than they have listed as possible new HD for me to pay one penny more / month.

To the HD Absolute subs who want more HD channels....

If you are willing to pay more - just switch to one of the Turbo HD only packages.

If you are not willing to pay more - get real, the grandfathered HD Absolute is the best value you are likely to ever see from Dish or DirecTV :eek:

In either case -- please quit rocking the boat for the rest of us HD Absolute subs :)

Talon Dancer

I would be thrilled to just keep my HD Absolute EXACTLY like it is now for as long as possible -- same channels, same price :) Dish would have to add a lot more/different HD channels than they have listed as possible new HD for me to pay one penny more / month.

If you are willing to pay more - just switch to one of the Turbo HD only packages.

If you are not willing to pay more - get real, the grandfathered HD Absolute is the best value you are likely to ever see from Dish or DirecTV :eek:

In either case -- please quit rocking the boat for the rest of us HD Absolute subs :)

Talon Dancer

+1

Talon Dancer
Well TalonDancer you just do that there. Git 'er done. Let them walk over you. As for me, I expect them to live up to their words!!!!

I don't know... I was told the exact opposite. I emailed the CEO office and got the following reply:

"Thank you for your email and bringing your concern to our attention. The HD Absolute package has been grandfathered and will not be receiving any additional HD programming in the future. Fox News HD and FOX Business HD will not be made available in this package. "

So which Dish Network employee is telling the truth? Or does no one there really know?

.... I was told when I signed up for Absolute, that i would be getting all new/upcoming HD channels except premiums....
Just to clarify...

You took that to mean that, as an HD Absolute Sub, Dish would provide you with "all new/upcoming HD channels except premiums" FOREVER and with NO price increase in your life time and maybe even your heirs/successors in perpetuity? :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts