Dish HD Channels and 4k liner Channels

Troch I am starting to wonder if your related to Harshness.

It had nothing to do with HD on 129.

And the locals are on the best satellite for that area, which is why some areas locals are available on both arcs.
Really? Then where was all the HD? The 129
How you going to dispute that?
It's a Known fact the 129 couldn't be tuned in the Northeast, and I think even parts of the south east.

Dish had a 1 dish solution for years Up until they needed space for HD channels.
Remember the Super Dish?

Dish only allows the arc that your locals come from, so that's not really a choice if you have Los issues.
Not really. Several markets are available dual arc. A free Dish service call to switch arcs was a better solution to my LOS and tree growth issues than a $1K+ tree service bill.

They can't do it for all markets, but they do take advantage of it.

Not really. Several markets are available dual arc. A free Dish service call to switch arcs was a better solution to my LOS and tree growth issues than a $1K+ tree service bill.

They can't do it for all markets, but they do take advantage of it.
Again that's Fine.
But as you said not everywhere.
And it seems like an awful lot of trouble for that small advantage.

Directv is doing just fine with 1 ARC.
In fact better because they didn't seem like they are losing lots of customer to LOS issue.

I just know, when we wanted HD in 2007, there was no way to pick up the 129 which was required, So we got presented with the Wing dish.
So naturally the solution for this was Create a full Eastern Arc for a single dish solution and that's what we have before us today.

I'm going to have to see some real solid proof that Eastern arc wasn't started because LOS issue in having a one dish solution on the 129.

No I would say DIRECTV has more satellite space, but with the recent 8PSK conversion at this point its not an issue for DISH. They have plenty of free space available. And even with that space with the new compression technology if they added all of the 4K channels available they still wouldn't have to worry about running out of space.
So they could be offering full-time HD RSNs now? :)

Reactions: bluegras
DIRECTV is missing out on a LOT of customers because they can not see 101.

If you notice that with everything else they are starting to move it to other satellites in the EAST.

DIRECTV is missing out on a LOT of customers because they can not see 101.

If you notice that with everything else they are starting to move it to other satellites in the EAST.
The 99 and 103?
These are been around the 101 since 2006
10 years. Directv has been using the 101 for way longer then that.

Directv's plans were to create an arc around the 101.
They only had 3 TPs on the 110, and Dish has TPs on the 119.
So naturally they weren't going to pursue that.
And why wouldn't you want an arc that is more universal to the lower 48.
Dish is the only one that thinks Hawaii has millions of potential customers with their 121,129,and 148 lol.

What country did Charlie think he was providing service too?
What I don't get is why didn't or couldn't he do something with the 105 ,110,119?

Look what I found.
This is from 1996.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Zg0gZ4pfOK5Q9-sgQ&sig2=Pd3I90DAt9tn_8QhVj4htw
f025eb68559c0ea144cf8f58d9eabafc.jpg

I think they allowed those licenses at 148 to expire. To my knowledge (best I can recall) 105 is/was not a BSS slot. I think that Dish had planned to lease space off of a FSS satellite at 105 for HD at one point.

So how is Dish networks on demand?
Make sure you have 10Mbps or faster internet. Some don't or can't (some people think that speed is laughable). We had 6Mbps DSL before and the on demand was a pain to use (wouldn't stream on the fly and the buffering wasn't a 5-second pause, more like "try later"). We have 15Mbps now and it works real well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Seems like that was around '04-'05. Did they ever do more than test off of 105, before discovering they would need a BSS bird?
I was receiving my locals from 105 for several years before putting up a wing dish (61.5) for HD locals. The SuperDish is still up and works fine as a converted 1000+ Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can't understand the concern with 4k channels right now. There still isn't any 1080p content to watch consistently and yet we have people wanting 4k channels. I get it, it looks pretty sweet.

Reactions: Tampa8
I remember when it was stated over and over that no broadcasters, be they cable or satellite, will transmit 1080p programming. "There isn't enough bandwidth" was the reason. This, of course, followed the introduction of 1080p TVs...

Reactions: Tampa8
Yup how times have changed. DISH now hold all the transponders at 61.5, all but I think 3 transponders at 110 and all of them at 119.
When did Dish get the 11 transponders at 119 from DIRECTV? AFAIK DIRECTV 7S is still there and I still see 11 transponders on 119 when I run a signal test on my STB's.

So back to the question. Does Dish plan on getting rid of this SD channels. At this point at least 95% of their customers have HD channels. SD looks so bad, at least on Directv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts