Dish HD Channels and 4k liner Channels

Madhatter01

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Ceres, Ca
Ok I am thinking of moving to dish. What is up with the lack of alot of HD channels. American Heroes Channel, Disney XD and Nicktoons for example. Are they going to be converting channels anytime soon to HD? It looks like dish has not updated channels in a while.

Also I have not seen any plans for 4k liner channels. At least directv has said the will have a few bucks the end of the year.

Interesting. AHC says Dish carries it on 195 (true) and in HD on 192. 192 on Dish is in fact in HD- but its the Investigation Discovery channel.

Ok I am thinking of moving to dish. What is up with the lack of alot of HD channels. American Heroes Channel, Disney XD and Nicktoons for example. Are they going to be converting channels anytime soon to HD? It looks like dish has not updated channels in a while.

Also I have not seen any plans for 4k liner channels. At least directv has said the will have a few bucks the end of the year.
I'm guessing they are waiting for linear 4K. There have been multiple reports that Dish is planning 4K channels, but when is a good question. Even DTV isn't sure when theirs will launch. Just not ready yet, still nobody offering linear 4K yet.

My understanding is they have been having trouble with the new LNB's (especially the 5 LNB version) so they have been slow in rolling out the HR 54 nationwide as they want to do most of the upgrades (LNB and Receiver) at the same time.

My understanding is they are currently running 2 4K loop channels but I have not seen them myself so I can not confirm if thats true or not.

Ok I am thinking of moving to dish. What is up with the lack of alot of HD channels.

Disney aside, they have about the same number of HD channels as Directv. Since those particular channels happen to be ones you watch (Or you wouldn't care) probably better to get a service that has them in HD.

You would think at this point 99% of channels would be HD. Directv says that all their channels will be hd this year (I read that some where). Come on we have had HD for 8 years plus. So does Dish not have any plans to move SD channels over. Have they posted anything about channels this year that are going to be converted to HD.

DIRECTV has never said all their channels will be in HD this year.

As the blog noted, Philip Goswitz, senior VP of space and communications for DirecTV, said in October 2012 that the satellite operator would have all of its channels converted by 2016 using local-into-local Ka-Band satellite capacity. Goswitz also noted that having all standard-def channels upconverted would free up 1 gigahertz of satellite spectrum for Ultra HD signals.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/report-directv-plan-go-all-hd-ahead-schedule/2015-03-09

Reactions: Madhatter01
As the blog noted, Philip Goswitz, senior VP of space and communications for DirecTV, said in October 2012 that the satellite operator would have all of its channels converted by 2016 using local-into-local Ka-Band satellite capacity. Goswitz also noted that having all standard-def channels upconverted would free up 1 gigahertz of satellite spectrum for Ultra HD signals.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/report-directv-plan-go-all-hd-ahead-schedule/2015-03-09

Yes that was the article, thanks for finding it.

There is no such thing as a 4K satellite. A Satellite just bounces off of it what you send it. Any satellite can be a 4K Satellite.

I thought the older satellites don't have the capacity to handle 4k. I thought they had a limited number of transponders. Basically the older ones could not handle it.

Besides it looks like it has been years since dish had a new Satellite. They can't even do all their channels in HD how are they going to have the capacity to do 4k?

I am just trying to decide if it is worth it to switch to dish.

Example
http://investor.directv.com/press-r...ly-Increasing-HD-and-4K-Capacity/default.aspx

i also thought dish made room for more hd channels and 4k channels after the 8psk conversion also.just saying i do not want another vacation..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)