DISH HD DVR and AT&T Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

msgph

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Hi All,

We're having a DISH system installed that we ordered from AT&T last week and have a few questions. We're having one HD DVR (to feed two tv's) and two other regular boxes.

We have previously had DirecTV and Time Warner HD DVR's. Both had two HD tuners and allowed us to record and watch HD at the same time. Is this the same on the DISH version?

The reason that I ask is that AT&T told me that the DVR would be hooked up to two tv's - one regular and one HD. Seems to me that if it is hooked up to two tv's then the HD tv could only have one stream? I asked DISH about it, and they told me that it can be hooked up to two tv's, but in order for the HD tv to record and watch, the second TV would not be able to be in use. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Michael

Hi All,

We're having a DISH system installed that we ordered from AT&T last week and have a few questions. We're having one HD DVR (to feed two tv's) and two other regular boxes.

We have previously had DirecTV and Time Warner HD DVR's. Both had two HD tuners and allowed us to record and watch HD at the same time. Is this the same on the DISH version?

The reason that I ask is that AT&T told me that the DVR would be hooked up to two tv's - one regular and one HD. Seems to me that if it is hooked up to two tv's then the HD tv could only have one stream? I asked DISH about it, and they told me that it can be hooked up to two tv's, but in order for the HD tv to record and watch, the second TV would not be able to be in use. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Michael

1) Which DVR unit are you getting for the HD TV? 2) I have a VIP-722 HD rec./DVR with 2 tuners. It feeds 1 HD set & 1 SD set. There is a way to set your 1st recording to set # 2 or set # 1. If I setup a recording it goes through set # 2's tuner. That way I can watch my HD TV-Set # 1 and setup another recording which will then go to set # 1's tuner. I selected set # 2 for the default because its only used for 1 hr. @ bedtime.

I can be recording 2 programs @ the same time and can watch them as well. I can't change the ch. or a screen comes up telling me to cancel one of the recordings in progress. With 2 tuners you can only watch what is recording on each set, but you can watch ANY previously recorded program off of the DVR's HD.

I'm going on the assumption you are getting the 722. Let me know. The 722 is an exc. unit.;)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

New question. I have a total of six TV's that I want programming on. One HD, Five standard. DISH is providing two regular boxes and one HD DVR for two of the tv's. I need two additional receivers.

DISH says that if I want more than the four tuners that I ordered for free, then I need a $149 switch and $99 each for of the two additional receivers that I want to add.

I have a Zinwell Wide Band 6x8 Multi-SW Part #WN68 from DirecTV. Would this work in place of a DISH switch? Could I buy receivers off of eBay? Is there an additional receiver fee if I buy them from eBay?

My installation is tomorrow. Does anyone have alternatives or suggestions?

Most likely they will install a 722 or 622 for the HD DVR and a 322 for 2 more TVs. Yes, after four tuners you need to buy the extra receivers. You can get another 322 (for 2 more TVs) on eBay or Dishstore.net. It will be $5.00 extra if you connect the phone line, if you don't it's $10.00

The Zinwell switch will not work for Dish Network.

Where are you located? If they install a 1000.2 dish you could feed 3 dual tuners with that dish and there's no need for a switch.

Most likely they will install a 722 or 622 for the HD DVR and a 322 for 2 more TVs. Yes, after four tuners you need to buy the extra receivers. You can get another 322 (for 2 more TVs) on eBay or Dishstore.net. It will be $5.00 extra if you connect the phone line, if you don't it's $10.00

The Zinwell switch will not work for Dish Network.

Where are you located? If they install a 1000.2 dish you could feed 3 dual tuners with that dish and there's no need for a switch.

I am in the Kansas City metro area. How do I know which dish they will be installing? I am getting HD programming, does that make a difference?

Thanks to all who are passing on advice - I appreciate it!

Your locals are on 129, so you will get a 1000 or a 1000.2. Ask for the 1000.2 because it can feed the 3 dual tuners that you need. The 1000 can feed just 2 dual tuners, you will need a DPP44 switch for the extra dual tuner.

Your locals are on 129, so you will get a 1000 or a 1000.2. Ask for the 1000.2 because it can feed the 3 dual tuners that you need. The 1000 can feed just 2 dual tuners, you will need a DPP44 switch for the extra dual tuner.

How do I get the 1000.2? Do I ask the installer or call DISH?

If I call DISH, what will my reasoning be asking for the 1000.2? They probably want the money for the switch! I could pay the $99 to DISH and have them just install the extra 322 when they come out tomorrow.

If I ask the installer, will he care? Or just put in what he wants?

Thanks!

Michael

The installer could install a 1000 or a 1000.2, I don't know how they determine what dish to install since I'm not an installer. At this point, installers are probably just installing the 1000.2.

What I would do is call Dish Network and tell them that you will need 3 dual receivers and if they can add a 1000.2 to the order. So when the installer gets the order he nows you will need 3 dual tuners.

I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Last time I called in, they never mentioned the 1000.2, and just offered to let me buy a switch and two receivers. :)

Mike

Ok, I called DISH/AT&T.

I did verify that I will be having a 1000.2 installed. I specifically made sure it was the 1000.2 and not the 1000. I also verified that I'll be getting a 722 and a 322, for a total of four tv's.

I could add an additional 322 if i wanted, but DISH/AT&T wants $198 for it. I'll just pick one up on eBay i think!

What will the process be for me to install a 322 on my own next week?

Also, on eBay, what do i need to look for and look out for when it comes to picking one up there? I know that I need to check and see if there is a balance or it is already leased.

Thanks again to everyone!

Michael

You will need a single cable run from the dish to the receiver's location. The cable goes into the DP Separator and two cable jumpers feed SAT1 and SAT2. Since you will be feeding a second TV, you will need diplexers and here is a diagram on how to do it:

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample2.pdf

Just ignore the splitter for the other TVs.

In the diagram, it appears that two cables come from the dish to the receiver. Is that correct? It was my understanding that only one cable went to the 322 receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts