Dish HD equipment promotion?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

billdz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
USA
Hi,

I saw the Dish free HD for Life promotion and decided to check it out. They said I could get it but would have to pay $300 (DISH'n It Up offer - $200 for new HD receiver to replace my current 322 receiver, $100 for installation of new dish antenna). The rep cryptically added that, since I have been a Dish customer for just less than a year, I may qualify for a better HD equipment promotion if I waited a bit.

Anyone have any idea what he might be talking about? I'd love to avoid paying the $300 if possible.

Also, I have 2 TVs and would like to have HD on both. Yet it seems that all of the Dish 2-TV Duo receivers only support HD on TV1, with just SD available on TV2. Does this mean I'd need two separate HD receivers to get HD on both TVs?

Thanks,
b

After you are out of your contract they will likely waive the $100 antenna fee to get you into a new contract. I think that the $200 HD receiver fee when going from an SD receiver is fairly standard. I'd count on paying that even in the future.

Thanks, my 12 months are up in just 2 weeks. I can wait and then get the HD receiver for free?

Thanks, my 12 months are up in just 2 weeks. I can wait and then get the HD receiver for free?

Not likely. Last year they had some deals on HD upgrades, but those are gone. Expect to pay at least a hundred or so for the upgrade to an HDDVR.

Since you want HD on two sets, you have several options.

1. Get a HDDVR and use the HDMI output to one HDTV and the component output to a second HDTV. This option does not allow for independent HD viewing. The same HD appears on both sets. This option The first receiver on the account is included in the programming package cost. Otherwise you'll pay a lease fee or additional receiver fee for every receiver other than the first.

2. Get a dual tuner HDDVR like the 722k for one set and a 211k receiver for the second set. This will cost $7 per month in lease fees. The 211k can be turned into a DVR by paying a one-time $40 fee and adding an external HDD.

3. Add any other HD receiver for the second set and pay the monthly lease fee.

222 = $14
612 = $10 (not recommended by many here)
622 = 722 = 722k = $17

There's also the new 922 whick bumps up the account DVR fee from $6 to $10 with the monly lease cost of $17. This is the one with Sling technology.

Another option is to purchase teh hardware yourself from eBay, Amazon, Dishstore, etc.

Thanks for the info, guess I'll wait 2 weeks and see what they offer. Why isn't there a Duo receiver that supports HD on both sets?

Effective today Dish changed their Dish'N It Up pricing. For most customers an upgrade to any receiver other than a 922 will be FREE. There will still be the technician visit fee of $15 or $95 though. The 922 will remain the same price of $200 or $400. If a customer does not get the free upgrade the price will either be $100 or $200 depending on the receiver model.

Effective today Dish changed their Dish'N It Up pricing. For most customers an upgrade to any receiver other than a 922 will be FREE. There will still be the technician visit fee of $15 or $95 though. The 922 will remain the same price of $200 or $400. If a customer does not get the free upgrade the price will either be $100 or $200 depending on the receiver model.

That sounds like good news for several folks, including the OP, who have been asking. Unfortunately some who recently wanted to upgrade went to D*. Why E* ever stopped upgrading subs to HD at minimal cost in the first place is what puzzles me.

I used mine up last September getting a 625 added. Since then the set that is connected has been changed to HD. When I tried to swap out for a 612 or better, they only offered to sell it to me at a very inflated price. Will this change that for me?

2. Get a dual tuner HDDVR like the 722k for one set and a 211k receiver for the second set. This will cost $7 per month in lease fees. The 211k can be turned into a DVR by paying a one-time $40 fee and adding an external HDD.

3. Add any other HD receiver for the second set and pay the monthly lease fee.

222 = $14
612 = $10 (not recommended by many here)
622 = 722 = 722k = $17

There's also the new 922 whick bumps up the account DVR fee from $6 to $10 with the monly lease cost of $17. This is the one with Sling technology.

Another option is to purchase teh hardware yourself from eBay, Amazon, Dishstore, etc.

If I buy a 722k on eBay do I still have to pay the DVR fee?

Why do all the dual tuner units only provide HD on TV1?

Thanks,
b

If I buy a 722k on eBay do I still have to pay the DVR fee?

Why do all the dual tuner units only provide HD on TV1?

Thanks,
b

There is no fee for the first receiver on the account regardless of which one it is. E* designates the most expensive one, if you have more than one, as the primary (first) receiver. There is a fee for all other receivers regardless of whether owed or leased. The name of the fee varies but the cost is the same.

I'm not sure why all of E*'s receivers only provide HD on TV1. I've heard several different rationales but none of them are very convincing. You can use the TV1 output to more than one HD set by either using an HDMI splitter or using component for one set and HDMI for another. Both sets will have the same output though if viewed simultaneously. The new 922 will allow for slinging HD to a second set.

Does anybody get these promos in their online account "Offers" anymore? I haven't seen anything in there except Club Dish for a long time now.

1. Get a HDDVR and use the HDMI output to one HDTV and the component output to a second HDTV. This option does not allow for independent HD viewing. The same HD appears on both sets.

It would be OK for the same HD to appear on both sets, but it would be difficult to run a wire to the second set, as it is 3 rooms away from the first set. Is there any way to send the HD wirelessly to the second set? I used to have a cheap "Video Sender" that sent video and audio to other TVs in the house, but don't think it works for HD.

Or what about the "CH 3-4 OUT" jack next to the TV1 logo on the back of the receiver? Is that HD out? If yes, couldn't I just disconnect the coax to the second TV from the "CH 21-69 OUT" jack next to the TV2 logo and connect it to the "CH 3-4 OUT" jack?

Thanks,
b

It would be OK for the same HD to appear on both sets, but it would be difficult to run a wire to the second set, as it is 3 rooms away from the first set. Is there any way to send the HD wirelessly to the second set? I used to have a cheap "Video Sender" that sent video and audio to other TVs in the house, but don't think it works for HD.

Or what about the "CH 3-4 OUT" jack next to the TV1 logo on the back of the receiver? Is that HD out? If yes, couldn't I just disconnect the coax to the second TV from the "CH 21-69 OUT" jack next to the TV2 logo and connect it to the "CH 3-4 OUT" jack?

Thanks,
b

For E*, there is no HD over coax. Home distribution from the receiver is only SD. HD can come only from either the component or HDMI outputs. HD can be wirelessly slung to other rooms using a Sling box and a Sling catcher of some sort on the other end. The 922 has Sling tech built-in as E* owns it. The devices are supposed to be out "soon." Does your home have a basement? If so running HDMI cable or Cat6 to other rooms shouldn't be too difficult. You can use 2 CAT5e/6 lines to deliver HD from/to HDMI. You just need the adaptors (see Monoprice.com). D* is providing HD over coax for their subs in their multiroom viewing setup. You might need to look at them. Their HR24 HDDVR is pretty good compared to the others they've had and have.

I have a second HDTV connected to my 722 via an HDMI run of 50 feet. I also ran a coax from the receivers UHF antenna connection to the UHF remote antenna in the room with the second receiver. This really makes the UHF remote work very well. I also know people who have run all the cabling outside and around to other rooms when they couldn't go through interior walls and floors. I prefer indoor cable runs myself. There's usually always a way to do it. I've seen apartments/condos, where people have laid the cables along walls and on top of floors near the walls and covered it with those cable covers available at the home improvement stores.

The only way to get HD out from the receiver to a TV is with Component or HDMI cables. The receivers only have those outputs for TV1. The TV2 output is coax because it is made for home distribution. If they did make a Component or HDMI out for TV2 most people would have to run a very long cable because most people's second TVs are in other rooms of the house. Running a 50 - 100ft would be pretty costly.

And content providers are concerned that if an HD signal went out in the clear, as it would over ATSC coax, people would copy it and put it on the Internet. We won't talk about what TiVo does. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)