Dish HD equipment question

ahegedus

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 5, 2004
State College, PA
I currently have the top100 package with locals (johnstown/altoona PA) and a 522 receiver. I finally convinced my wife to get an HD tv, and now i'm looking into what I would need to do to get HD service. My biggest fear is that i'll need a second dish on my roof, and that would be a deal breaker for my wife... don't laugh, many of you know what i'm talking about!!! Anyway, does anyone know how I can figure out if we need a second dish?

Also, anyone know of any deals i should look into?

Thanks for the help!!

Adam

You may be able to "see" the 129 satellite, it depends on how cluttered your horizon is.

If you have a good clear view to the southwest you should be able to receive 129.

I currently have the top100 package with locals (johnstown/altoona PA) and a 522 receiver. I finally convinced my wife to get an HD tv, and now i'm looking into what I would need to do to get HD service. My biggest fear is that i'll need a second dish on my roof, and that would be a deal breaker for my wife... don't laugh, many of you know what i'm talking about!!! Anyway, does anyone know how I can figure out if we need a second dish?

Thanks for the help!!

Adam

You will probably need a second 'wing' dish to see the 61.5 satellite as I don't believe you'll be able to see the 129 satellite from your location.

I live in NE PA and just didn't tell my wife we were getting a second dish. She came home from work and was not a happy camper when she saw the second dish (especially since our dishes on on 4x4 poles in our front yard)! But she eventually got over it!!

Thanks for the help!!

Adam

I live in the Philly suburbs, and the installer told me that this area of the country (I believe he stated mid-atlantic/north east) generally needed the second dish. So, I have two perched on my roof.

61.5 will be needed

I looked at the location of Johnstown / Altoona PA. You are too far NE to receive 129 on 1 dish. Not even a 100.2 is likely to have enuff signal strength in your area. So it would be best to get the the 2nd dish pointed at 61.5.