This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DISH HD only package question

Andyman33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
One questino I have is that if I go to the HD-only pack, will I lose the SD versions of Food network and HGTV? Although the hd versions of these channels are nice, they definately have limited programming and my wife watches these specifically...just wondering.

Its my understanding that if you get the HD ONLY package you will only get the HD channel. Not the SD version of that channel.

Its my understanding that if you get the HD ONLY package you will only get the HD channel. Not the SD version of that channel.

Currently both HGTV and Foodtv SD are included in the dishHD package.

Another question, should I be getting the P&I channels i.e. Colours and such?

Dish Hd Only Package Help.

Can I order Multi sports pack(hd and sd) and, International pack (sd) with Dish HD ONLY PACKAGE?

THANK'S!!!

You can get the PI pack for free. Yes Dish mist provide those channels for free to any subscriber at any level. All you have to do is ask (and argue, and threaten and jump up and down) to get them.

The RSN you cannot get. Those require a subscription to AT100Plus and up to get. (yes I mean the sports pack that includes all the RSNs)

See ya
Tony

RE: Public Interest Channels

Like UCTV, LINK, and FREE SPEECH TV...they took them away when I downgraded to the Family Pack. Tony, do you mean I can demand that they turn these on for me?

Bruce

Yes. The public Interest pack is free and available to any and all dish network subscribers/customers in good standing (bills payed up). You may have to convince the CSR that you are entitled to them, but all the channel HERE are part of the FREE PI Pack

Yes, you do get the SD versions of those channels as well.

RE: Free Public Interest Channels

NOT SO., sorta. Did the online chat with CraigM and I thought it went too smooth. Oh, yes that's correct. So I asked you turned on 9404, 9412 and 9415 along with the others...affirmative!

Went to check the tv, no such channels. Went back to chat...this time with BranonD,...sorry you were misinformed...you need the 100 pack to qualify.

Any response Tony. Should I keep trying?

I have the Family pack, locals, EuroNews, Superstations...account is in good standing.

Bruce

From what I understand, the answer is yes. I asked the question on another thread and that is what I am told. Your receivers all get the same channels so all the SD would come through on your SD receivers.

I AM NOT CERTAIN since I haven't made the jump on that yet. Waiting on SciFi channel.

See ya
Tony

Tony - SUCCESS - Finally!

Guess sometimes the CSRs in India are more helpful. She WAS chatting with someome and tried to say that they were "free" but you had to have a minimum program package of the top 100. But I kept on it and cited the EchoStar Knowledge base web page and long story, short...they are turned on. Hopefully to stay!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Bruce

I added the PI pack to my HD-only pack via a webchat on saturday. No issue, except the agent had to complete a 2nd step to turn on C-SPAN for me. BTW, only C-SPAN, and not C-SPAN2 are included as part of PI.

What's the purpose of having a cheaper HD only pack if you can also get the SD channels on non-ViP receivers.

It is my understanding you get the HD channels ONLY - but I could be wrong.

What's the purpose of having a cheaper HD only pack if you can also get the SD channels on non-ViP receivers.

It is my understanding you get the HD channels ONLY - but I could be wrong.
I've posted this in two other threads but the misconception about the "HD Only" package dies hard. Note: I actually subscribed to the dishHD (only) package on Feb 3rd. So the following is NOT conjecture. It is what shows up in the programing guide on my 622 this AM...

"HD Only" is a misnomer for the $29.99 dishHD package that is quite misleading.

Besides the HD channels shown on the Dish web site you get...
* all the SD equivalents of the HD channels (even HGTV & Food that have different content)
* your SD locals when the HD isn't available from Dish (if you sub locals)
* the SD Public Interest channels
* the SD shopping channels
* SD free previews

You can still watch the SD stuff on TV1 or TV2 (e.g. on a 622).

IOW it is simply NOT "HD Only". It is more like "HD Mainly" but with a lot of SD thrown in

Talon Dancer

* full disclosure - NASA is the only PI channel in my guide, just as it was before I switched from AT100+ HD to dishHD. I don't really want the other PI channels. So I haven't tried to add the full set.

Last edited:
Yep, I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I switched from what was the BronzeHD package (America's Top 100 + HD) to DishHD only, I actually gained AMC, which I didn't previously have.

Bonus.

This is from Scott G from 2006 dealing with the PI pack:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/59960-lots-dish-information.html

FYI, the Public Interest pack has been part of AT100 and up since about 1998. It was just not available to anyone without AT100 (at the time AT40) for any reason. Dish Latino 2 and up subs got about 5 channels but only from the side slots and I think that was just an error.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony