Dish HD PQ looks much better lately

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Did not vote because the only way to tell the difference is to do a side by side comparison. All being equal (tv, tv settings, reciever settings and channel) the only difference would be D* and E*. Recievers, D* HR24, E 922. THEN VOTE!!!

Okay, just did that. 480p looked like a DVD. 1080i looked like HD.

Regardless, the fact remains Dish packs too many channels onto a TP. Meanwhile suppling 4-5 Mbps per channel and call's it HD. I don't think so! Although some of the stuff on the 110 sat still looks good. And it would be nice if the Movie channels were increased to at least 6 to 8 Mbps. Which is what the channel owner intends us to see.

Regardless, the fact remains Dish packs too many channels onto a TP. Meanwhile suppling 4-5 Mbps per channel and call's it HD. I don't think so! Although some of the stuff on the 110 sat still looks good. And it would be nice if the Movie channels were increased to at least 6 to 8 Mbps. Which is what the channel owner intends us to see.

I know for a fact that AT&T's U-verse was 5.7Mbps and it looked absolutely atrocious compared to DISH.

Never seen it. Did they use a varible rate like Dish? Or was it a static rate. Like all channels got the same horrible rate at all times?

Static. With (rare) bursts to 7.2, but not enough to make football games not look like oil paintings.

Static. With (rare) bursts to 7.2, but not enough to make football games not look like oil paintings.

What do you think of the football game thats on CBS C right now? To me it's definetly looks like 480P or to be fair. I'll give it a 540.:D
Seriously, it maybe a up-convert i'm not sure.

I calculated it, average bitrate of 6.075949367088608Mbps for that game. Recorded 79 seconds, created a 60MB file. This is including fast motion and slow pans.

I have not noticed any difference in pq one way or the other. Over the air hd still blows dish out of the water.
+1 Big One!

That's what I have been saying for a long time. And when I finally got to show a Field Super first hand, a year ago, he was amazed and very vocally thankful to be able to see it for himself. Said he would report it, but could not promise any fixes or that any attention would be put to it.

I know for a fact that AT&T's U-verse was 5.7Mbps and it looked absolutely atrocious compared to DISH.

Dish runs 6-8 channels on a TP that has about 40mbit capacity. So, the average of Dish is not far from your reported Uverse number. But, Dish has the huge advantage that it is very unlikely that all the channels will demand peak bandwidth at the same time, so there is a lot of bit rate flexibility.

Dish runs 6-8 channels on a TP that has about 40mbit capacity. So, the average of Dish is not far from your reported Uverse number. But, Dish has the huge advantage that it is very unlikely that all the channels will demand peak bandwidth at the same time, so there is a lot of bit rate flexibility.

It would be nice if they left them at 6 per tp. When i first got Dish they ran 3 per tp with Mpeg2. And it was really good. Does mpeg4 actually provide Dish with more than a 50% capacity increase? Obvious it does. But, at what cost? It seems any given channel at any time has to be taking a PQ hit. Maybe Sony movie channel is the sacrifice.:D

Just do some random non sporting event premium movie channel rates and then compare them to Hdnet or Espn rates on 110°. Do you have western arc?

Yep I'm on western arc.

MythBusters 3840 seconds 2531MB 5.272916666666667Mbps ABR.

Short Circuit (Sony Movie Channel) 6000 seconds 2990MB 3.986666666666667Mbps ABR.

The Thomas Crown Affair (HDNet Movies Sat 110) 7020 seconds 3289MB 3.748148148148148Mbps ABR.

HDNet movies is on TP 7 on 110, 6 channels on that TP, so it just looks to me like some movies just don't need the higher bitrate.

That's where I think DISH blows U-verse outta the water is with the VBR it can allocate higher bitrates for things that need it such as football games.

But to me even shows like MythBusters and movies when the action got good it suffered on U-verse. Then again, what I am calculating are average bitrates, I'm sure there are points when the bitrate is a lot higher for certain scenes, in which U-verse with it's 5.7Mbps cap struggles.

I have also seen D*'s HD PQ at neighbors' houses and to me the difference is so minute that it's negligible for anyone to claim D* has better PQ.

Yep I'm on western arc.

MythBusters 3840 seconds 2531MB 5.272916666666667Mbps ABR.

Short Circuit (Sony Movie Channel) 6000 seconds 2990MB 3.986666666666667Mbps ABR.

The Thomas Crown Affair (HDNet Movies Sat 110) 7020 seconds 3289MB 3.748148148148148Mbps ABR.

HDNet movies is on TP 7 on 110, 6 channels on that TP, so it just looks to me like some movies just don't need the higher bitrate.

That's where I think DISH blows U-verse outta the water is with the VBR it can allocate higher bitrates for things that need it such as football games.

But to me even shows like MythBusters and movies when the action got good it suffered on U-verse. Then again, what I am calculating are average bitrates, I'm sure there are points when the bitrate is a lot higher for certain scenes, in which U-verse with it's 5.7Mbps cap struggles.

I have also seen D*'s HD PQ at neighbors' houses and to me the difference is so minute that it's negligible for anyone to claim D* has better PQ.

Thanks for the info. As i expected the quality of E* is all over the place. I guess you never know what your gonna get at any given time. No wonder why so many people have different opinions of the quality of E*'s product. Personally i hope it improves. Because i am engoying the low cost of the HD absolute pak. Otherwise i would be gone to Cox cable.

Well I think DISH puts more bandwidth into the locals, but comparing NBC HD OTA to NBC HD on DISH looked practically the same to me. I think the locals on DISH look better than the nationals though.

Depends on where you live. I watched some of the OTA of my local NBC last night on SNL. I later watched it over sat (not the same station) and it was just as good but the audio was far superior. So I think that the facility it goes thru may have a good bit to do w/ it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. As i expected the quality of E* is all over the place. I guess you never know what your gonna get at any given time. No wonder why so many people have different opinions of the quality of E*'s product. Personally i hope it improves. Because i am engoying the low cost of the HD absolute pak. Otherwise i would be gone to Cox cable.

No guarantee Cox would be any better. Cable co's are having to shove more HD channels into a limited bandwidth just like the sat. co's. Personally, I don't have any complaints about E* HD. Sure it's going to be all over the place, that's the point of a variable bitrate. Higher bitrate when needed, lower when not. Bitrate is not a direct indication of picture quality, at least when you have average bitrate figures on a variable bitrate file. What matters to me is whether or not the PQ is acceptable, and to me, it is. It's definitely better than Charter and U-verse PQ in my area.

Depends on where you live. I watched some of the OTA of my local NBC last night on SNL. I later watched it over sat (not the same station) and it was just as good but the audio was far superior. So I think that the facility it goes thru may have a good bit to do w/ it.

Yep, my Fox local definitely looks better on Sat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts