Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

translation, looks like they won't be back this year, but may be back before 2015. anything that involves the courts could take months to years, sadly. see the TiVo vs. Dish case. also see Dish vs. VOOM.

What's "tivo"?
thumbsup.gif

Tivo
laser.gif
Microsoft

From what I have heard DISNEY is appealing the ruling.

Since DISNEY authorizes the HD receivers that the uplink uses DISH can not do anything until DISNEY turns them back on. And its likely DISNEY will not authorize DISH's uplink receivers for the HD services until the appeal is heard and ruled upon.

Exactly the reason I never got this whole lawsuit. If Dish was never authorized to show the Disney HDs, why did Disney turn them on for Dish to begin with?

Exactly the reason I never got this whole lawsuit. If Dish was never authorized to show the Disney HDs, why did Disney turn them on for Dish to begin with?

Cause they decided they want to stick it to everyone. That's the new Disney attitude. It's small world and Disney thinks that everyone owes them.

This question may have been answered earlier in this pretty long thread. but, if Disney had the option to allow or not allow (by turning it off) Dish to broadcast their HD channel with no $$$ compensation then why did they change their mind? Maybe they just decided that what was acceptable $$$ yesterday no longer a good idea. Sort of like gas stations no longer giving away air for free. I can live with that. Do they charge all other providers extra $$$ for broadcasting Disney HD?

This question may have been answered earlier in this pretty long thread. but, if Disney had the option to allow or not allow (by turning it off) Dish to broadcast their HD channel with no $$$ compensation then why did they change their mind? Maybe they just decided that what was acceptable $$$ yesterday no longer a good idea. Sort of like gas stations no longer giving away air for free. I can live with that. Do they charge all other providers extra $$$ for broadcasting Disney HD?

Disney probably viewed it as a curtesy to their viewers while the disagreement was being worked out with Dish. Once the got to the point that they realised they were never going to get what they wanted out of Dish, they cut them off and it went to court instead. There was also an issue with Dish paying Disney late on the payments. Disney won that part of the suit.

That is part of the problem right there. Dish is in a lawsuit saying that the terms that Disney is giving to them are different than what are given to other providers.

I doubt Dish is ever going to add Disney back which now I am at the point where I don't care. Dish could as least add more kids channels in HD. Nick and CN cut off too early with there kids programs as I complained about many times here before and I know Dish has no control over that.

We got that stupid useless Opera Network in HD which I did not want yet we don't have The Hub in HD.

In about another three months it would be a year since we lost the Disney HD channels. I don't think that disputes have ever lasted longer than Disney.

Oprah will buy Disney... Or Disney will buy Oprah. (not sure which one will buy which yet)... But when they do, that's when we'll get an update as far as negotiations. They both want to dominate the world. The only difference is Oprah doesn't have any problems making it known. "Own"... Need I say more?

the only way for Disney's HD channels to return to Dish is ether Dish and Disney settles in court and or a pending dispute over the Disney ABC O&O station, the SD and HD versions of all the channels they on including Disney Channel and ESPN.

No negoations are going on. They are in court.

Last I knew a judge ruled in DISH's favor but DISNEY has uphelad the ruling on appeal.
Scott, I think that you have this backwards. Disney won the first round in court but the appeals court ruled for E* except on the late fees.

Scott, I think that you have this backwards. Disney won the first round in court but the appeals court ruled for E* except on the late fees.

I think he meant to say "held up" instead of "upheld" in that the appeals court ruled for Dish, but Disney is appealing, preventing progress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)