Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Yes there is a version of The Hub in HD, but it would be a waste since nothing on The Hub airs in HD except for an occational special.

Couldn't the same be said about Centric and Logo? I do not think that I saw anything ever in HD on those two channels. Why not just have SD channels of them and have something else in HD? I am sure there are other channels as well that play a lot of SD programming.

I don't believe Centric HD and Logo HD actually exist. Dish just set them up as HD channels, when they weren't, in order to increase the number of channels in the HD Platinum package when there weren't that many channels in that package. Excellent suggestion to remove their HD designation freeing up room for two real HD channels.

From what I hear is that Centric and Logo are NOT in HD by default but DISH upconverts them. The word is that MTV Networks gave DISH the channels at a reduced cost (if not free) if they could be given HD space. As MTV wanted to make sure there was bandwidth for their channels in HD when they went HD. Basically it was an HD bandwidth landgrab as HD bandwidth is limited.

IF this is true is makes sense to me of why they are setup this way. I have seen some programming on Centric (use to be BET) in HD but I have never seen anything on Logo in HD.

From what I hear is that Centric and Logo are NOT in HD by default but DISH upconverts them. The word is that MTV Networks gave DISH the channels at a reduced cost (if not free) if they could be given HD space. As MTV wanted to make sure there was bandwidth for their channels in HD when they went HD. Basically it was an HD bandwidth landgrab as HD bandwidth is limited.

IF this is true is makes sense to me of why they are setup this way. I have seen some programming on Centric (use to be BET) in HD but I have never seen anything on Logo in HD.

Well it's not just a land grab to have HD space, but think about the number of people who say "I don't watch anything that isn't HD". Sticking HD next to their logo at least gets them on the radar of those people.

Well it's not just a land grab to have HD space, but think about the number of people who say "I don't watch anything that isn't HD". Sticking HD next to their logo at least gets them on the radar of those people.

BET doesn't look bad.Looks much better than the super low quality SD E* seems to dish out. I wish they would do the same thing to VH1 classic.

BET doesn't look bad.Looks much better than the super low quality SD E* seems to dish out. I wish they would do the same thing to VH1 classic.

True enough, that's another consideration. An SD channel upconverted combined with HD bandwidth looks much better when put next to most SD channels.

True enough, that's another consideration. An SD channel upconverted combined with HD bandwidth looks much better when put next to most SD channels.

Ya i'm currently watching the AZ wildcats on FOX sports AZ. I can't see the team names on the players jerseys and can barely see the damn basketball it's so blurry. Charlie should be ashamed of himself for broadcasting this "You tube" quality stuff. Sports need bandwitdh and its obvious my regional SD network isn't getting it. I wonder if anybody can make out the "puck" during NHL games...........:D

The MTV Networks digital master suite mux on 131w c band is currently in SD. I have seen no changes to those channels in eons. They are still running the original DC-2 19510 3/4 SR/FEC that the Digicipher started with around 1995.

The reason a so called HD channel which is not HD looks better than the SD counterpart on Dish is because the master SD feed is quite good to start with. The SD version on Dish is overly compressed and downrezed. The HD muxes on Dish currently compress less so the original SD quality shines. I don't think most understand how good a SD master can look since they never saw the virgin master. If you have the means from a friend with a big c band dish it's worth taking a look at them You'll be amazed how clean and clear a SD channel can be. The best way I could compare it is look at a great looking SD DVD running 480p. That's what you will see on a SD master feed. Quite a difference than the SD Dish provides. And Yes VH1 Classic SD master looks quite good :) Seen it many times.

Attached is a shot of Nick from the same master mux that VH1 Classic is in.

Attachments

• MTVnet.jpg
    MTVnet.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
The MTV Networks digital master suite mux on 131w c band is currently in SD. I have seen no changes to those channels in eons. They are still running the original DC-2 19510 3/4 SR/FEC that the Digicipher started with around 1995.

The reason a so called HD channel which is not HD looks better than the SD counterpart on Dish is because the master SD feed is quite good to start with. The SD version on Dish is overly compressed and downrezed. The HD muxes on Dish currently compress less so the original SD quality shines. I don't think most understand how good a SD master can look since they never saw the virgin master. If you have the means from a friend with a big c band dish it's worth taking a look at them You'll be amazed how clean and clear a SD channel can be. The best way I could compare it is look at a great looking SD DVD running 480p. That's what you will see on a SD master feed. Quite a difference than the SD Dish provides. And Yes VH1 Classic SD master looks quite good :) Seen it many times.

Actually, BET appears to be an HD channel to begin with. Galaxy 14 @ 125° West - frequencies - freq - channels - packages :: TrackSat.com
But, i do know what your talking about. FX on cband is a perfect example of what SD can and should look like. Also the HBO's were great too.

Last edited:

More of your Bull. I've seen the master SD. I put in C-band for many years and it doesn't come close to the Hi Def pix that come from E*. And 480p is not broadcast off sat. They broadcast in 480i for the SD. The bit rate is better (for SD)but no where near the PQ of the HD that comes from D* & E*. I get tired of the bull you try to spread here and will not allow you to go unchallenged on it. I've worked at TV stations where we got the direct feeds of the SD sat channels and they never come close to the PQ of the HD on either of the DBS providers.

More of your Bull. I've seen the master SD. I put in C-band for many years and it doesn't come close to the Hi Def pix that come from E*. And 480p is not broadcast off sat. They broadcast in 480i for the SD. The bit rate is better (for SD)but no where near the PQ of the HD that comes from D* & E*. I get tired of the bull you try to spread here and will not allow you to go unchallenged on it. I've worked at TV stations where we got the direct feeds of the SD sat channels and they never come close to the PQ of the HD on either of the DBS providers.

Ya, i was banned from Satforums for trying to dis-prove the "myth" that SD on 4DTV is better than HD on E*.:)
Oh well, the Whiz moderator in charge pretty much killed that place. There maybe 2 or 3 new post a day.:D

Ya, i was banned from Satforums for trying to dis-prove the "myth" that SD on 4DTV is better than HD on E*.:)
Oh well, the Whiz moderator in charge pretty much killed that place. There maybe 2 or 3 new post a day.:D

TVRO Pro has an agenda. He blames E* for the death of C-band programming. He comes here to bash E* at anything and everything that he can. Have explained to many many times that some of the companies sold out before they went out of business. I worked for some as a dealer & installer and was privy to some of the things that happened. I miss the old C-band days but know that they will not return as most don't have room for a C/KU dish. If we could get the C/KU band HD feeds & programming it would be far superior to what is provided by D* & E* but we can not. I've thought about gettting another BUD but since I can't get the HD I really don't care that much anymore. SD just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

TVRO Pro has an agenda. He blames E* for the death of C-band programming. He comes here to bash E* at anything and everything that he can. Have explained to many many times that some of the companies sold out before they went out of business. I worked for some as a dealer & installer and was privy to some of the things that happened. I miss the old C-band days but know that they will not return as most don't have room for a C/KU dish. If we could get the C/KU band HD feeds & programming it would be far superior to what is provided by D* & E* but we can not. I've thought about gettting another BUD but since I can't get the HD I really don't care that much anymore. SD just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I agree, and i said this before. Life is too short to be holding on to 4DTV hoping SRL will put out an HD receiver. If it happens before my life is over then great. In the meantime i'll keep watching DISHHD as it is better quality and value than HITS SD. However, i do still use my BUD for the numerous FTA feeds including HD.:) Makes it very easy to see that Charlie is giving us the short end of the stick. I think that's what bothers TVROPRO so much. If he's gonna have to pay for HD he wants the same feed that the broadcasters put out. I would like it too. But, i'll just have to settle for the free stuff and E*.

Yea, Satforums has turned into such a joke it's really a shame. Seems like the only ones left are a few nut jobs who are in severe denial. Too bad too, as it could have been a good resource for the hobbiests who still use the BUD for the occasional wild feeds, etc.

Once again you did not read my post. If you did all I stated that if you take a SD master signal and do some stretchovision to it and send it out using the HD bandwidth on Dish it would look better than the SD counterpart on Dish, even though the source was SD. But you jumped to conclusions again without reading what I wrote.

Last edited:
Yea, Satforums has turned into such a joke it's really a shame. Seems like the only ones left are a few nut jobs who are in severe denial. Too bad too, as it could have been a good resource for the hobbiests who still use the BUD for the occasional wild feeds, etc.

Satforums was a good place many moons ago, but brought on it's demise by all the fighting and bickering that went on over there the last few years. Many got sick of it and came to Sat Guys or moved on to Ricks or someplace else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)