Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
I noticed that ESPNEWS (ch. 142) is no longer the SD-feed. The channel is SD, but they're actually displaying the HD-feed so you get black bars all around and a small picture b/c of the 16/9 aspect ratio shoehorned into the 4x3 SD display. Makes reading the ticker kinda hard from across the room. That's the only channel in dispute that I watch regularly (and the only SD channel at all in my guide) so this is kind of a bummer. Really, really, hope that this gets resolved someday...

Has been this way for quite awhile.

Last edited:

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Which is very funny. So if ESPN won't send an SD signal, then why is Dish barred from showing these channels in their true HD format? The answer, Disney is stupid and money hungry.

I'd say that pretty much sums it up!

Darrell S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 13, 2004
Parts Unknown
Mickey got mad with power. They will want more now since they had a big movie turn out to loose almost 200 million.
Stupid mouse. Spend that much on a movie based on books from the 1930's. Mickey can't believe that kids didn't rush out to see it.

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
osu1991 said:
They're talking about John Carter, which was actually a very good movie.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

The movie wasn't what I would call great, but it was a bit better than average.

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
dan188 said:
It was still a flop at the box office. Didnt come close to breaking even

It wasn't as big a flop as Disney is trying to make it. Once ppv, DVD, bluray and TV broadcasts are added it will make Disney a very good profit. Disney did a poor job marketing it.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

ibanez_ax

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 22, 2011
North Texas
It's because when you name a movie John Carter, you better make sure that your audience knows who John Carter is.

That's because Disney, in their infinite wisdom, left out the "...of Mars" part of the title because "Mars Needs Moms" was a flop. Of course, we're all too stupid to realize that "John Carter" has nothing to do with "Mars Needs Moms".

Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.
Which is very funny. So if ESPN won't send an SD signal, then why is Dish barred from showing these channels in their true HD format? The answer, Disney is stupid and money hungry.

Well if you ask me we can include all companies in your statement,yes and even Dish Network who with their infinite wisdom is the home of the because we can fees and yes there is alot of them.But like I said it's all of them even cable and DirecTV.:rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts