Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

I was on TurboHD Broze and now in Dish America with locals and I lost Disney HD. No SD for me. That's all my kids watch on TV. I hate the company. I understand pulling HD due to contract negotiations, but SD too?? Lame...

The missing Disney HD channels are still there in SD. Someone else says it's taken to long. Remember it took atleast six month for D*to settle their dispute with Versus.

Ron

The issue at hand is that Dish Network tried to bully Disney by forcing Disney to give Dish Network Disney HD, Disney XD HD, ESPNews HD and ABC Family HD.

How, exactly, was Dish broadcasting these channels that they weren't supposed to be broadcasting? Have they cracked Digicipher II or something? It seems that the blame cannot possibly lie entirely with Dish.

Oh, and there isn't a bigger bully around than Disney. I mean, altering Federal law (copyrights) for your personal gain? Disgusting!

ronfelder said:
The missing Disney HD channels are still there in SD. Someone else says it's taken to long. Remember it took atleast six month for D*to settle their dispute with Versus.
And four years before that, it took Dish Network seven months to settle with Outdoor Life Network, the Comcast-owned precursor to Versus.
Jim S. said:
How, exactly, was Dish broadcasting these channels that they weren't supposed to be broadcasting? Have they cracked Digicipher II or something? It seems that the blame cannot possibly lie entirely with Dish.
Disney probably had legal advice to give access to those four channels pending outcome of the lawsuit. No one seems to necessarily know the terms, but it is known those four HD channels could not be subject to the existing affiliation agreements. There had to be another temporary contract which allowed Dish Network to carry those channels, and that temporary contract ended. The assumption is that no payments changed hands.

Even more annoying, some of the HD channels on Dish Network may not be under contract, or some of the HD channels not on Dish Network could be subject to a lawsuit.

The issue at hand is that Dish Network tried to bully Disney by forcing Disney to give Dish Network Disney HD, Disney XD HD, ESPNews HD and ABC Family HD. Dish Network aggressively took Disney to court to attempt the free carriage route, and it failed so miserably that Dish Network owes Disney $65 million in interest payments, owes 25 months of back fees for carriage of those four HD channels, and no longer has those channels available.

And somehow Dish Network thinks they'll be able to bully Disney into a lower price because of their HD for Life promotion? This simply appears to be a stalemate, while channels such as ESPNU HD cannot possibly be carried until the current mess is resolved.

Yep, Now Charlies buisness practices have to be questioned. If Charlie wasnt paying for them and coustomers were, where the hell did the money go to? Ill take a stab at it! Charlies Pocket????

If DISH would just substantially raise the quality (i.e. reduce the compression) of the SD feeds (of the channels where they dropped the HD feed) then I'd fine without getting those HD channels -- because most all of what they showed was just upconverted SD anyhow.

Its ironic that I chose the Dish America package (and to have pay tv at all) for three of the four missing ABC channels. Now I can't get them in SD unless I "upgrade" my programming package (what a crock of shoot). At the same time, I am only 7 months into my agreement and it would cost me approximately $240 out of pocket to cancel right now.

Thanks for the awesome experience Dish. (that's right I blame dish, not disney, b/c dish knew this was coming.. its been in the courts for a while).

Its ironic that I chose the Dish America package (and to have pay tv at all) for three of the four missing ABC channels. Now I can't get them in SD unless I "upgrade" my programming package (what a crock of shoot). At the same time, I am only 7 months into my agreement and it would cost me approximately $240 out of pocket to cancel right now.

Thanks for the awesome experience Dish. (that's right I blame dish, not disney, b/c dish knew this was coming.. its been in the courts for a while).
I agree DISH is at fault here for your issue. They SHOULD be providing you with the SD versions of the channels you're no longer getting in HD. You need to call them and keep expressing your discontent and get the issue flowed up to someone who can help you. They need to get you into a "free HD for life" program (with the $99 fee or new commitment) and into a comparable package and give you a credit -- until the end of your commitment -- to offset the additional cost over the Dish America package. You'll be told a lot that this isn't possible, but in truth it is.

Another fight is looming for Disney. A Guide to the Media Industry - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

In another looming fee fight, Time Warner Cable and the Walt Disney Company are locked in negotiations over ABC, ESPN and The Disney Channel ahead of a Sept. 2 deadline. As Media Decoder noted earlier this week, there are indications that it could get ugly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/business/media/12disney.html?_r=1&ref=brian_stelter
Time Warner is trying a new strategy when it comes to those fees broadcasters have been demanding for the right to retransmit their signals. Time Warner was among the companies that signed a petition in March calling for reforms to retransmission laws; cable companies argue that the current rules unfairly favor broadcasters like ABC.
After Time Warner submitted an analysis to the Federal Communications Commission backing up its position, Disney submitted a point-by-point rebuttal — an indication that calm heads may ultimately not prevail in negotiations between the two companies

If I'm not mistaken, there is a separate lawsuit from the one just decided. Dish Network filed suit in Federal Court about the most-favored nation status for ESPNU and ESPN Classic. That suit was filed late last year.

So it is quite possible this disagreement could last awhile...

We no longer are watching these channels in SD as they are not in HD. Thus we are not seeing any adversting that the advertisers are paying for or were told in viewership numbers in their advertising contract. In the end is Disney making more money from its advertisers or from the re-broadcasters such as Dish?

:up I'm glad the mouse is sticking it to Charlie. After what he did to 4DTV this year he deserves it. What a Jerk!

It was a Motorola C-band standard for digital subscription. It is gradually being lost over time from the sat providers. Just read from Sky Report that Motorola will no longer support it by end of year.

And I thank you again for your info!
Take care,
Ghpr13:)

I too refuse to watch Disney in cruddy SD. Netflix has some Disney shows in HD the problem is that they don't have all the up to date episodes and does not carry every show like Good Luck Charlie, Aaron Stone, Zek and Luther etc. They do have Suite Life, Wizards, Jonas and Hannah Montana though.

I too refuse to watch Disney in cruddy SD. Netflix has some Disney shows in HD the problem is that they don't have all the up to date episodes and does not carry every show like Good Luck Charlie, Aaron Stone, Zek and Luther etc. They do have Suite Life, Wizards, Jonas and Hannah Montana though.

It's a shame what they do to the original signals when they over compress them for Dish Network. If you saw the C band master SD feed for Disney you would be in awe. It is absolutely beautiful, sharp, clear and NO digital artifacts. Seen it allot with my big dish. It looks better than Dishes HD looked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)