Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Well then you have to count TCM as a commercial channerl for they're always pushing dvd's and their books.

Ron

While TCM pushes their movies and books, they DO NOT show other commercials, have a superior movie and produced content product, and never deliberately modify the original movie format or shorten a picture.

TCM is the main reason we watch television at all. Yes, we have all of the channel packages and all the HD packages, because we, occasionally, enjoy something on HBO or Showtime, but TCM HD is the station on most of the time in our house.

TCM is great. I still can't believe that they did not sell out and start showing ads on there like so many other once great channels that are now ad infested. Just waiting for TCM to go true HD instead of just a upconverted channel the way it is now.

Disney interrupts their programming every 7 minutes to show commercials, none of the premiums nor TCM or even Fox Movie Channel do this. That is the main beef I have to anyone trying to call Disney a premium channel of any kind. They interrupt their programming just as often as any other commercial channel. Whether it's a promo for the hanna montana tour or for Kix cerial, it's a commercial break.

I don't think you will ever see them back in hd because this is about DISNEY being paid TWICE for the same programming in both SD and HD . IF this ever happened it would mean the end of FREE HD at DISH and it would make your sat bills double ,because if DISNEY can get paid ,then all the other channel companies would want the same deal.

...and yet, those that don't get free HD, pay twice for the same programming. It's like E* saying, "do as I say, not as I do". I DO believe, however, that all HD should be included at no additional cost.

This has been said before, but I can see both sides to this arguement. For Disney, it costs money to uplink the HD feed, so they want to be paid for the retransmit. For Dish, the argument is "you want me to pay to carry the HD feed for the same channel that I'm already paying for?" Thus, HD for life (which is a crock). More like HD for a higher equpiment fee. The funny thing is that I bet some tech at Dish points one of their Dishes to these disputed signals and watches whatever they want. I can see *Insert Name Here* looking at ESPNU HD on a Saturday Afternoon while we all request to get it sent to us.

My kids are getting really tired of Disney in SD, when we settled on what package we all wanted (and the two oldest away at college) Disney and the Family channel(what ever that is) were the only channels that the younger kids were into except MTV sometimes, now that they are gone the kids want to switch, only have 20 days left on the contract so guess were leaving E*, I told them to give it sometime but that was what? 5 months ago. With the article I read from Wall street not only is this a contract dispute but it is mentioned that at this point that E* has been broadcasting these channels for sometime with out consent and owes Disney 65 million to date, and as cheap as E* is these channels might be way out in the future, guess Charlie and his clonies are the only ones that know where this is going

TThe funny thing is that I bet some tech at Dish points one of their Dishes to these disputed signals and watches whatever they want. I can see *Insert Name Here* looking at ESPNU HD on a Saturday Afternoon while we all request to get it sent to us.

This I doubt is happening because the signals are encrypted. Charlie didn't pay his bill so Disney turned off Dishes headend decoder. I have C band and have noticed since this dispute started Disney master feeds have been encrypted full time, before they were open here and there for us. So Charlie screwed it up for us too. :mad: I don't know what Charlie is smoking not paying the 65 million he owes, talk about a deadbeat.

Last edited:
Funny that DISNEY let DISH broadcast their Hd feed of the DISNEY and ABC family channel for three years( I think that was the number of years) before they get upset and asked for more money . Oh wait a minute , companies didn't charge extra for hd feeds till this dispute. They want to get paid TWICE for the same channels and they won't allow DISH to downconvert the hd feed to sd for those subs and DISH can't drop the extra cost of the sd channels and just take hd channels. This is pure extortion by DISNEY and it can't be allowed to stand unchallenged or all of our bills will skyrocket .

Funny that DISNEY let DISH broadcast their Hd feed of the DISNEY and ABC family channel for three years( I think that was the number of years) before they get upset and asked for more money . Oh wait a minute , companies didn't charge extra for hd feeds till this dispute. They want to get paid TWICE for the same channels and they won't allow DISH to downconvert the hd feed to sd for those subs and DISH can't drop the extra cost of the sd channels and just take hd channels. This is pure extortion by DISNEY and it can't be allowed to stand unchallenged or all of our bills will skyrocket .

The programmers can do what they want because they hold the keys to the kingdom. Without them you watch dead air. Is it out of control with the prices they charge and the demands they have ? YES Like it or not though they are getting away with there rules. The little guy is the one that gets screwed, you and me, not Charlie or any of the programmers.

True enough on the loss of hd channels from DISNEY . But I would rather have the feeds in SD and have my bill stay the same ,then have them in HD and have my bill skyrocket. I don't watch much on DISNEY anyway. Evidently not many other subs care about the hd feeds either , since the anger over the pull of the hd feeds has died out quickly.

i have a gut feeling that Dish will be in a bigger dispute with Disney once the contract for carriage of these remaining channels owned by Disney expires and this could be just as bad as the 2004 dispute with Viacom and the most recent month-long dispute with News Corporations' Fox Networks over FX, FSN, and NatGeo and the local Fox O&O stations/Local TV O&O that used to be Fox O&O. let's hope the bigger dispute over the rest of the Disney owned channels doesn't happen within next 12 months as in from now to December 2011. but if it happens, it would maybe help bring the missing Disney owned HD networks back.

i have a gut feeling that Dish will be in a bigger dispute with Disney once the contract for carriage of these remaining channels owned by Disney expires and this could be just as bad as the 2004 dispute with Viacom and the most recent month-long dispute with News Corporations' Fox Networks over FX, FSN, and NatGeo and the local Fox O&O stations/Local TV O&O that used to be Fox O&O. let's hope the bigger dispute over the rest of the Disney owned channels doesn't happen within next 12 months as in from now to December 2011. but if it happens, it would maybe help bring the missing Disney owned HD networks back.

Actually I think the only reason the SD feed's haven't been pulled is because of the contract in force. I would bet that ABC/Disney/ESPN will demand payment of all in the rears owed them for the HD fare when the SD contract expires before granting access to any of the ABC/Disney/ESPN networks channels. Charlie Ergan is threading on thin ice with his antics. The number of subscribers has dropped because of the Fox dispute and this. He's only going to pick up a bit of revenue from his dirty deal to try to steal 50% of the remaining C band subscribers with NPS. Last I heard that whole campaign is falling short. So Ergan will be looking for revenue someplace, which is hitting the current subscribers in the pocketbook one way or another. I will bet that Dish will be placing some good increases on the subscribers bills in the months to come. It will probably backfire on Charlie since more will jump ship to other service providers. But then Charlie is an an idiot and deserves all the grief that comes to him.

Last edited:
tvropro said:
Actually I think the only reason the SD feed's haven't been pulled is because of the contract in force. I would bet that ABC/Disney/ESPN will demand payment of all in the rears owed them for the HD fare when the SD contract expires before granting access to any of the ABC/Disney/ESPN networks channels. Charlie Ergan is threading on thin ice with his antics. The number of subscribers has dropped because of the Fox dispute and this. He's only going to pick up a bit of revenue from his dirty deal to try to steal 50% of the remaining C band subscribers with NPS. Last I heard that whole campaign is falling short. So Ergan will be looking for revenue someplace, which is hitting the current subscribers in the pocketbook one way or another. I will bet that Dish will be placing some good increases on the subscribers bills in the months to come. It will probably backfire on Charlie since more will jump ship to other service providers. But then Charlie is an an idiot and deserves all the grief that comes to him.

This will get solved when one of three things happen:

1) dish contract to carry abc locals comes up.

2) dish contract to carry ESPN comes up.

3) espn launches a cable channel that dish feels it needs.

At that point things will get settled up and both sides will issue "partnership" statements (see dish v fox).

Unfortunately, I think the basic espn contract runs for quite a while (like five more years).

By the way, espn hd and espn 2 hd are covered by the base agreement, which includes sd for all other Disney channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts