Dish Heating Pads - Winter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
WI
Last winter I had the 1.2m dish on the porch and was easy to clean the snow off. I have yet to experience winter with my 7.5 mesh, several feet away from the house mounted on a pole. I was thinking of using two or three battery warmer pads strategically placed on the backside of the dish. Any other products out there that can be used?

http://portablecarheaterworld.com/kats-22400-60-watt-5-5x-8-5-battery-pad-heater

Mesh dishes can be a challenge as the material does not distribute the heat very well. You might be better off with your broom or a vinyl / poly stretched across the face edge to edge. Used to see these covers snow covers in the midwest, but not sure where or if they can be purchased now. Maybe use a heat shrink material like is used to winterize boats?

Sounds like good idea. Let's test it.

You might be better off with your broom or a vinyl / poly stretched across the face edge to edge.
Maybe use a heat shrink material like is used to winterize boats?
My local grocery store chain gets their product delivery, shrink wrapped to small plastic pallets.
Then they wrap a stack of pallets together, to go back to the warehouse.
Due to being a regular and friendly, the employees treat me really well!
If I were to ask for 20 feet of their 4' wide super heavy plastic wrap, they would give it to me without question.
If I told them it was to go across my dish to keep off rain or snow, they'd give it to me and ask for pictures! :)
The bigger problem would be how to apply it.
?And you certainly wouldn't want it shrinking and warping your dish! ;)

Plastic wrap sheets might work. I would like to figure this out now rather than 3 months down the road when I am knee deep in snow. Otherwise after I plow the driveway and shovel all the walks I can look forward to sweeping the dish. Winter sucks.

Put it on now and see how it holds up.
Maybe the UV will destroy it.
Even if you had to apply it in the late fall, and it fell apart by spring, you'd be well off.
Run all summer without, then reapply next fall.
I don't expect it to be a lifetime solution.
?.
The trick is finding some super simple way to attach the sheet around the edge.
If it only takes 10 minutes to apply, doing it once or twice a year won't be a burden.

Maybe use a heat shrink material like is used to winterize boats?

Good recommendation, at the radio station I work at here in Michigan, we have had the "boat people" come out on occasion an use their long term storage shrink vinyl. They have a one season product that is blue and warms up on sunny days so the snow can slide off the boats. But for long term storage they use white vinyl UV rated and we have had it last 8-9 years. Cost was $100 for a 10ft. dish. Keeps the bees out too, and no loss of signal.

Here's an easier solution, spray the bottom half of the dish with this teflon spray. Nothing will stick to it, including snow and ice: http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-3996...teflon&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=teflon&facetInfo=

036121191570lg.jpg

Anyone try a 10X10 blue plastic tarp from Harbor Freight?
Should be UV resistant, and pretty inexpensive.
As for RF attenuation, you'll just have to try it.
?

I've just installed 1.8m Prodelin. It had heating element with sensor. Picture attached:

Attachments

• Heating.JPG
    Heating.JPG
    387.9 KB · Views: 121
Some great ideas there, if only there were panty hose wide enough to spread across diameter of dish, a membrane to keep bad moisture out and good frequencies coming in... hmmm... nylon panty hose... triple extra large...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)