Dish Home Media size limit?

JAF

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Does the Home Media have a size limit when trying to access your content on the media server? I'm using Win 7 pro as my media server. The hopper sees it fine (everything is hard wired). When I navigate to my videos it pulls up a list and I can play the ones that are in a supported format. My problem is when I try to look at my pictures or pull up my music. Not sure on exact size (I'm not home) but I'm guessing all my videos are less than 5GB while both my pictures and music library's are over 60GB each. I have a PS3, Denon AVR and a Panasonic TV all of them can pull up my music and the PS3 can also pull up my pictures off the same server. When I try and access either my pictures or my music in the home media menu on either Hopper, it just sits there like it's trying to access it. I usually give up after 15 minutes. Is the Hopper not able to read that much info? If so, does anyone know the size limit?

There shouldn't be any size limits on media files.

The Hopper and 922 support DLNA files with the following codecs

Images - JPEG only, all sizes (thumbnail uses PNG)

Video - Containers MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, MKV, MP4 with combination of Video codec H264/AVC, MPEG2 and audio codec, AAC, AAC PLUS, AC3 and MPEG audio

Audio - MP3, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, AC3, WAV, LPCM

I've seen it take a long time and others times -- with no changes in the amount of data -- it loads in 15-30 seconds or so. This is pulling from a Win7 laptop on wireless though (Hopper is hard-wired).

Definitely have seen some slowness with the DLNA but overall it's pretty snappy. All I've used are mp4s/H.264 though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I give up. Tried it again this morning, on my computer, my music is at 49GB, pictures, 63GB and videos are 35GB. It pulls the videos right up, the music won't connect I let it go for over an hour this morning and it just sat there and spun. That's what I normally get with the pictures but this time it gave me a "no events to be displayed" screen after a minute.

Any ideas?

I give up. Tried it again this morning, on my computer, my music is at 49GB, pictures, 63GB and videos are 35GB. It pulls the videos right up, the music won't connect I let it go for over an hour this morning and it just sat there and spun. That's what I normally get with the pictures but this time it gave me a "no events to be displayed" screen after a minute.

Any ideas?

I have a little over 500 GB movies, 8 GB music and 4GB pics and I just tested all three and they work just fine for me. I use windows 7 for pics and music and Mezmo for movies.

Did you check your media server share settings? I know sometimes the homegroup feature will reset @ block off certain share types or require a homehroup password.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

jaf
My whole house is hard wired. I envy you guys that can make this work. I see my Hoppers and Joeys and PS3 in my network map, but cant make anything communicate. I just read what others are saying on this Forum, and maybe someday it will hit me.

I assuming that since the Videos work all my media share settings etc, would be correct. It's just the pictures and music that are not working. Very frustrating since my TV, AVR and PS3 are all networked using DNLA and work just fine seeing and using everything.

Skytrooper, What version of Windows are you running? Do you have media sharing enabled?

jaf
I am using Windows 7. Yes, I have Media Sharing enabled. I am probably doing something stupid as I am not very computer literate. I dont want to tie someone down with my lack of computer knowledge. Someday this will all hit me. Thank you for your response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)