Dish Hopper and Old Dish DVR

Patrick4287

Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
Rutherfordton, NC
I recently canceled my 14 year subscription to Dish due to many equipment failures. I have a Dish Hopper with sling, a 2TB external hard drive, and an older DISH DVR model 2700. I would like to know two things. Can I transfer from my external hard drive the movies I backed up from my hopper to the old DVR? Or must I transfer my movies from the external hard drive back to the hopper, and then can I transfer them to the Model 2700, I would like a response soon, as I must return the Dish hopper w.sling in the next few weeks.

Thank you!!

External hard drives will only be able to transfer content between VIP or higher model receivers.

Consider them GONE The 2700 was never a DVR so it never had recording capabilities. You could only transfer DVR recordings To VIP DVRs active on the same account. Once deactivated those programs are gone, gone, gone.

Reactions: osu1991
once you stop service the external drive content is no good. the content is encrypted to the account that it was active on at the time of the recordings.

I plugged in my external hard drive to a DVD player. It showed the movie files, but as was expected, they would not play. I noticed a few companies sell DISH Hopper/with sling. I am not wanting to record movies, just want to play them. If I bought a Hopper; plugged in my external hard drive, would they not play on HDMI or HDM2 on my TV?

Thanks

The external drive capability went away when you cancelled your service.

Unless you are able to re-establish your service with Dish with the SAME account number, etc., the recordings on the EHD are totally worthless, you may as well reformat it and use it as spare storage on a computer.

I plugged in my external hard drive to a DVD player. It showed the movie files, but as was expected, they would not play. I noticed a few companies sell DISH Hopper/with sling. I am not wanting to record movies, just want to play them. If I bought a Hopper; plugged in my external hard drive, would they not play on HDMI or HDM2 on my TV?
No.

If you'd really wanted to watch them that bad, you should have just kept Dish and maybe downgraded to the Welcome Pack and you'd have been able to watch your external drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)