DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

The fees that will be or could be is not the issue. It is what they are right now. I think it's way too much myself, then again others may think it's a deal.

That is what I am saying, it's what the fees are now already. Those extra fees add up. If they can get the fees down with the Hopper then that would be great as they can be more competitive.

Did they go back to charging money to unlock the usb for an external hard drive? I see that under all the hopper and joey prices.

These fees are getting to the point to where maybe I should just consider dropping satellite and watching everything on demand online. This is getting rather rediculous.

Considering you make 3 calls to dish network a year you will get...

at a minimum every year 6-9 months free of two of the following at the same time hbo/cinemax/stars
at a minimum if you call and complain they will usually give you a $5.00 off credit also for 6 months or greater..

Lol, no, not red in the face too (yet) haha. I know that I can't be the only one wondering what fees will get added next. I have just realized that when the DVR does not record the show (or has no tuner available to record it) that I can almost always find that episode online and that there are only a handful of channels that I really watch and tv is not what it used to be 20-30 years ago (some cases better and some cases worse).

If a Hopper is $7.00 a month and a Joey is $7.00 a month and Hoppers can share what is on each others hard drives why would you lease any Joeys? Four televisions four hoppers twelve tuners, twenty four during prime time if you like, seems like a good setup that would cost the same lease wise as a one Hopper three tuner setup with three Joeys and you only lose one television if one Hopper goes down.

If a Hopper is $7.00 a month and a Joey is $7.00 a month and Hoppers can share what is on each others hard drives why would you lease any Joeys? Four televisions four hoppers twelve tuners, twenty four during prime time if you like, seems like a good setup that would cost the same lease wise as a one Hopper three tuner setup with three Joeys and you only lose one television if one Hopper goes down.

Reports are they will limit an account to two Hoppers. Odds are there will be some up-front for any additional Hopper as well.

If a Hopper is $7.00 a month and a Joey is $7.00 a month and Hoppers can share what is on each others hard drives why would you lease any Joeys?
Four Hoppers would not provide any additional TV outputs than a two Hopper/two Joey system so a four Hopper system would be about additional tuners. To me, 6 tuners sounds like a lot but I'm not as much of a TV junkie as some on this site.

Billing issues aside, tech issues:

The modern dishes only provide 3 dual-tuner outputs (6 tuners) and all would be required for two Hoppers. You'd need to add two DPP44s to the system to provide the 6 dual-tuner feeds required for four Hoppers.

There isn't a "quad node" at least that we know of. Someone speculated you could interconnect two dual nodes using MoCA ports but no one knows if that would work. So you may not be able to share content across all four Hoppers.

All speculation at this point until people get systems in their hands and start pushing the envelope.

It looks like for now they have it hard wired for 2 hoppers max with a dual node. They probably also only have the software set up for 1 additional hopper. Not to mention that they would probably not lease more than 2 on an account, and they probably will charge $$ for the second hopper upgrade fee (and possibly on the first hopper too). All in all they have for now made it very difficult to have more than 2.

It looks like for now they have it hard wired for 2 hoppers max with a dual node. They probably also only have the software set up for 1 additional hopper. Not to mention that they would probably not lease more than 2 on an account, and they probably will charge $$ for the second hopper upgrade fee (and possibly on the first hopper too). All in all they have for now made it very difficult to have more than 2.

Well 12 tuners does seem excessive to me but I think I would pay $100 to $150 upfront for an additional Hopper versus a free Joey for a 4 TV system if the lease is still $7.00 each. That way you get the 6 tuners and if one Hopper goes down you still have 3 tuners, 3 TVs and everything on your external hard drives.. I forgot about the inherent limitations of the current dishes being 6 tuner systems and I do not watch anywhere near enough TV to justify 12 tuners anyway. The way they will limit the Hoppers then will be on the price they charge for the right to lease one which makes some sense considering they will most likely cost much more to produce than Joeys.

Thanks Everyone

There is always hope that in Hopper 2.0 they increase to 6 tuners...

Personally I'd prefer two 3-tuner boxes for redundancy - if (and they are big "ifs") the integration is close the the level we have been led to believe and the up front cost is reasonable.

I have to believe the percentage of homes where dual hoppers would be inadequate is so small Dish will not be in any hurry for a 6 tuner beast unless they start seeing cost saving opportunities from a large number of dual hopper installs.

I'm already thinking that the next version of the Joey will have its own tuner. I just got a feeling they will be receiving lots of calls because version 1 does not have one.
they'll just tell customers to upgrade to a second hopper and maybe discount the upgrade fee when they complain.

I'm already thinking that the next version of the Joey will have its own tuner. I just got a feeling they will be receiving lots of calls because version 1 does not have one.

Kinda destroys the whole Hopper/Joey concept, no?

Too much confliction, IMHO, it ain't gonna happen.

Whoa. Is this gonna be on the test?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts