DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

So, do the Hopper/Joeys still respond to IR? It would royally suck if one couldn't use a universal remote with them.

Also, does the remote emit IR in addition to BT?

Per Dustoman in the Pub thread on Scott's CES Thoughts he had this to say about IR functionality "The remote for the Hopper is a new remote when compared to the 922. It is a UHF based remote instead of just RF. Oh and I also asked if IR capability was still in the Hopper since I personally use a Harmony remote for my setup. He said it was still there."

Silly remote question

Anyone know if hopper remote uses AA or AAA batteries?

I'm assuming AAA since it looks like the 21.0 remote.

Last edited:
One question that I haven't seen is assume a 2-hopper, 2-joey installation.

If you set a recording up from the joey, can you tell it which hopper to record to? Or does it just figure it out. For instance, say I want to set PrimeTime on one Hopper, and then start 4 more recordings from my joey, all to happen in the same time period. What happens?

From the info I've gathered the 2 Hoppers basically work together. It doesn't matter what Hopper a recording is on. What ever TV you are at you can just pick one of the available six tuners to watch live TV. What ever TV you are at to set up a recording it will pick one of the six tuners to record the event.

From the info I've gathered the 2 Hoppers basically work together. It doesn't matter what Hopper a recording is on. What ever TV you are at you can just pick one of the available six tuners to watch live TV. What ever TV you are at to set up a recording it will pick one of the six tuners to record the event.

I don't think they would do it, but I'd like to see an option to mirror the boxes. It wouldn't have to be a live mirror like a RAID or over the top server failover scenario (it's just TV after all) - just a background, best effort while idle rsync type process.

Last edited:

Right, I know that the viewing list is a unified list. I was specifically asking about the recording and how it is assigned. Where did you see/read that it would pick whichever was available would be picked automagically? I couldn't find anything talking about that.

Scott has said universals still work, so IR shouldn't be a problem. The remote still does IR as it still has all the multi-device functionality of the existing remotes.
But, does it emit IR for the Hopper/Joey? IIRC, there was a Dish remote in the past that only emitted UHF for Dish, even though it did IR for the other devices it was set to control. (I think this may have been the "platinum" remote for the 811.)

Because of the typical distance limitation of BT, some may require an IR extender or UHF if they are mounting in a central location away from the display.

BTW, I wonder what the antenna is for on the back of the Hopper? I've never seen an external BT antenna before.

But, does it emit IR for the Hopper/Joey? IIRC, there was a Dish remote in the past that only emitted UHF for Dish, even though it did IR for the other devices it was set to control. (I think this may have been the "platinum" remote for the 811.)

Because of the typical distance limitation of BT, some may require an IR extender or UHF if they are mounting in a central location away from the display.

BTW, I wonder what the antenna is for on the back of the Hopper? I've never seen an external BT antenna before.

I don't know. I don't remember the 922 remote having a IR/UHF switch, but honestly don't know if I've looked.

I would think worst case is you would have to use an older IR dish remote like a 20.0/21.0 - so "lose" your current remotes before the tech comes out to install the new stuff.

Last edited:
Right, I know that the viewing list is a unified list. I was specifically asking about the recording and how it is assigned. Where did you see/read that it would pick whichever was available would be picked automagically? I couldn't find anything talking about that.
i think that's part of the whole "seamless" idea for this system.

You're not supposed to know there's an individual extra hopper. You just plug in the extra hopper and enjoy the extra available tuners and dvr ability.

Maybe Scott could confirm, but that's the way i interpreted all the videos and Scott's information.

stimpson said:
We don't watch locals that much, so if I disable the Prime Time thingy, what does that change as far as how many things can be recorded and watched at the same time with the one Hopper and 3 Joey set up?

Nope it just means if you shout off PTA that more on demand movies will be downloaded from the satellite.

GaryPen said:
So, do the Hopper/Joeys still respond to IR? It would royally suck if one couldn't use a universal remote with them.

Also, does the remote emit IR in addition to BT?

It support it as well.

I guess these are basically my best guesses based on how I've interpreted all the info on here. Why would it matter what tuner a recording was assigned? I say this because even if one Hopper was being used to record three programs you could watch something live from the other Hopper from any other TV in the house. It shouldn't matter which Hopper is being use, they should just be thought of as one unit in my mind.

Why would it matter what tuner a recording was assigned?
Based on a question of load balancing in another thread...if one hopper is almost full will a timer originally assigned to the full hopper be able to record to the 2nd hopper's HDD? I would hope that a 2 hopper setup would be smart enough to pick a tuner on the hopper that has the most available space regardless of which hopper the timer was originally created from, and provided there is an available tuner not in use for that hopper.

Last edited:
I get it now. That does make sense. I suppose we won't know until it's released or Scott digs up some more dirt on it for us. The more I read the more I get excited about it.

If I have two hoppers and one dies will the other be able to continue operating independently until the dead one is replaced? If it can continue, will this occur automatically or will there need to be operator intervention? I hope that if one fails, the other isn't hung until they are both online again.

I am going to upgrade to the hopper and 3 joeys. Currently I have 2 RG6 cables run out to my dish 1000 dish. There is also a second dish that picks up 61.5, this dish runs to the dish 1000 and then the 2 RG6 cables run into my house. Am I going to have a problem with only 2 RG6 wires going to my current dish or will a third cable need to be ran?

With my 722 I can record 2 shows and watch a previously recorded DVR program at the same time. So will it be possible with the Hopper to record 3 programs at once, watch a DVRed program on the Hopper and also watch a DVRed program on the Joey at the same time?