DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

I want two Hoppers! And in the very near term! (Note that I avoided the word, "soon.")

A new 3D TV is on the way and I understand the Hopper is part of Dish's 3D plans...

The Hopper is capable of doing 3D just the same as the 922 and 722k are now.

If I have an MP4 on a USB stick from a recording off my iPhone for example ... can I plug that into the Hopper or Joey and watch that on my TV accordingly?

I have never tried this ... can I do this with my 722?

Thanks guys! I tried to be the astute reader , but guess I missed where it won't take up actual DVR space. I will turn it on and leave it. No harm really. One thing I would like to see, I saw in the video that you can save shows from prime time to your DVR to prevent deletion, but would like to see a series save option. I would fear my setting a prime time show series recording would mess it all up or unnecessarily take up a tuner. I get behind on my shows sometimes. I am sure they thought this through and it will be something I will just have to see how it works hands on. I just don't want to have to remember to save the shows I like but can't get to in 8 days everyday. I am so excited. This is what I have been waiting for. And yes I do drive my wife crazy with all this stuff, hopefully this will make things easier.

I am in the same boat. I am curious to see how PTA works with existing timers. If I have a timer for American Idol for example, will the recordings automatically save even after the 8 days of PTA or will I manually need to go into each show and save them.

Also how start/stop times go. Now many shows now go over by 5-10 seconds, so I have to manually extend the timer by a minute or just watch the beginning of the next show. Main comedies like Two and a Half Men/Modern Family are some examples. What happens with PTA? Will it only record that time slot or will it do an extension for each show?

Excited overall though about the new product!

I think DVR timers will take an extra tuner. For now, PTAT programs you want to keep have to be manually saved to your DVR space. A recurring save will be added but may not be ready at release.

PTAT will follow your recording start early / end late defaults. That applies to both playback and saving to your DVR space.

I specifically asked about this - Setting a series timer for something covered by Primetime Anytime will let you keep the show past the 8-day window. You won't need to go back and check everyday for something you want to keep. You're talking to someone who still has all the episodes of Person of Interest and American Horror Story saved from their fall runs and hasn't had time to watch them yet.

Okay I'm still having some trouble wrapping my head around what exactly happens during the primetime hours... I know it's recording the entire transponder/spotbeam but is that as it's happening or is it being spooled down to the Hopper during the over night hours?

It records them live. So, you can tune into any big 4 prime time shows as they record.

Okay I'm still having some trouble wrapping my head around what exactly happens during the primetime hours... I know it's recording the entire transponder/spotbeam but is that as it's happening or is it being spooled down to the Hopper during the over night hours?

It showed on Scott's video the shows marked as recording in the guide. Not that that means much or I have any clue what I am talking about. I hope it records during prime time so I can watch from DVR any prime time show show anytime after it starts. However, I did catch him say, 'when I go to work out in the morning all my shows are there.' Again not that that means anything. However, they also say you can record up to 6 live HD shows at once during prime time. Sounds to like it is live and not spooled over night. See here: Hopper - DISH Network

Are all four major networks on the same transponder?EDIT: Wait, are these just the local channels?

It is saved to the drive live as it airs. :)

Can you clarify one thing from your videos? If and when they come out with the ota usb tuner can you use PTAT as well as the ota tuner? I wasn't sure from the interview. Did they give you any idea how the ota tuner would integrate with the Hopper? If you have 2 Hoppers, do you need just 1 ota tuner to work off of both?

I was all ready to go to DirecTV when I moved in my new house with the HR34 and 5 tuners but now with Hopper and Joey, I might have to rethink it. I really like the PTA feature especially that they are all recorded over 1 tuner.

One question, if you set up to record a network show during prime time and PTA is on, will the system just move over the show it records as part of PTA? Hope that makes sense.

theoak said:
If I have an MP4 on a USB stick from a recording off my iPhone for example ... can I plug that into the Hopper or Joey and watch that on my TV accordingly?

I have never tried this ... can I do this with my 722?

I too would like to know if the 722k currently offers the availability to play mp4 video off a memory device.

Been reading here a while and have a question about hopper. It may have been already discussed but didn't see it reading through, but why would they not have HDMI 1.4 on these? Will the HDMI 1.3 be enough for 3D, ect?

Been reading here a while and have a question about hopper. It may have been already discussed but didn't see it reading through, but why would they not have HDMI 1.4 on these? Will the HDMI 1.3 be enough for 3D, ect?

Don't see on the spec sheet about the version. One would assume it's 1.4.

Yes.

From a hardware or cable perspective the only difference in 1.3 vs 1.4 is audio return channel and ethernet over HDMI. A 1.3 cable can support everything in 1.4 other than ethernet.

The Audio Return Channel wouldn't really apply to the sat receiver in the real world.

Ethernet over HDMI might actually be a nice feature, but if the Broadcom chip doesn't support it, then Dish certainly would not delay or add cost to the box for it. I'm sure sets exist that support it, but there aren't a lot of them.