Dish Hopper with 622?

This is a year-old zombie thread.

Absolutely true.

The policy decision is absolutely to prevent account stacking.

That makes no sense to me, absolute or not. Having multiple Hoppers and a 211 (or any other VIP receiver) does not prevent account stacking. There must be some other reason and Dish isn't telling us what that is.

Probably the same reason they don't allow Super Joeys on multi-Hopper accounts. Even if someone like you or me knows how to get it going, we are a rarity, and most people would probably be a headache to support such installations.

One theory I have is that it boils down to Dish's rather outdated switching technology not being able to support the setup without multiple switches. Yes, you can have a ViP with a single Hopper on a Dish 1000 dish that supports six tuners, however if one were to have two Hoppers, they would need two switches in order to add a ViP receiver, or another dish. With the 211, they will most likely be using it separately with their tailgater, so no complications there.

Another theory is that people would be asking why they can't see the recordings between the receivers.

Then of course, there's the account stacking theory.

Last but not least, is the "because we can" theory.

I'm just glad that they allowed for me to have four Hoppers.

Reactions: TheKrell
It will be interesting to see in a year from now where we are in retiring the old pre-ViP boxes. Then we might have a clearer idea of future plans.

Granted, there are no improvements going out to pre-Hoppers, but I'm sure they must maintain some code support "just in case" and eliminating that expense will be attractive. Just like recovering bandwidth by retiring non-8PSK boxes is attractive.

With the next Hopper supporting 264/265 I can see them trying to standardize on that version. Over the years, they'll gain bandwidth due to greater compression, offer 4K and maybe 8K and perhaps spark a revival in 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)