Dish Hopper with Sling - Would You Upgrade?

Dish Hopper with Sling - Would You Upgrade?

• No

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Only if the monthly cost was the same as the current Hopper

Votes: 32 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think all the people that got hosed paying $ for the 922 should get a free upgrade....922 was a joke for the first 1 1/2 years...now its stable....But in less than 2 years Im on my 3rd....

I don't think the wifi acts as a router, I'm pretty certain it is just a wifi adapter so you can connect wirelessly and not designed to feed the Joeys. Currently MOCA is what feeds the Joeys and provides the full IP address from the Hopper when bridging is enabled. As some users have posted previously, the Joeys do function without coax as along as they are connected to the same network as the Hopper, even though that isn't officially supported. I'm not sure what the benefit of the Hopper wifi feeding to the Joeys is since they can already communicate when you have them connected to the same network . You could hard wire the joey or use a wifi adapter or stick to the normal method which is coax to the Joeys with bridging enabled. Maybe there is some hidden benefit that it having a router type of support would provide but I'm not sure what that would be.

Was contemplating a move from a 722 to 1 Hopper 1 Joey but will now wait until all the hoopla about the new hopper subsides and the upgrade cost drops as it inevitably will...

The benefits of having an ad-hoc connection would be:

1.) No need to depend on a third-party router for the bandwidth required to feed the Joeys. Potential to create better WiFi reliability.

2.) Twice the bandwidth is available when using a wireless Hopper connected to a wireless Joey than is available when a router is used as the centralized AP (due to the half-duplex nature of WiFi, the AP has to receive each signal, then retransmit to the other receiver. No AP = no retransmission.)

3.) No sharing WiFi bandwidth with other non-Dish WiFi devices.

I don't think the wifi acts as a router, I'm pretty certain it is just a wifi adapter so you can connect wirelessly and not designed to feed the Joeys. Currently MOCA is what feeds the Joeys and provides the full IP address from the Hopper when bridging is enabled. As some users have posted previously, the Joeys do function without coax as along as they are connected to the same network as the Hopper, even though that isn't officially supported. I'm not sure what the benefit of the Hopper wifi feeding to the Joeys is since they can already communicate when you have them connected to the same network . You could hard wire the joey or use a wifi adapter or stick to the normal method which is coax to the Joeys with bridging enabled. Maybe there is some hidden benefit that it having a router type of support would provide but I'm not sure what that would be.

It's advantage would be that having its own private LAN (wirelessly) to Joey's allows exclusive use of the bandwidth, and not having to share processing of a general purpose router (linksys, netgear, etc). I'm on a g-spec linksys box and when I am transferring files between 1 computer and another (backup's etc) I can clog my router's queue and even my VOIP is noticably choppy. Of course, if I upgraded to a newer N-spec router with additional horsepower, that problem goes away, most likely. But if the avg Dish customer has a g-spec box, that set's up Dish for failure. Not to mention that g-spec at 2.4 ghz just loves my microwave oven. I can't even stream iTunes to my airport express when I'm using it.

Miner

I really don't see that much of an improvement to make my family want a hopper 2.

I voted yes, because the old hopper will update some of the new features that will be used in a newer hopper model receivers also too.

I'll pass on this hopper. I see nothing being gained by having built in Sling and don't see this as anything more than another way for DISH to have something new to talk about at CES . Hopper with built in Sling. I was afraid that would be what they came out with . I would of preferred this new hopper to have more tuners, either sat or another ota tuner, and maybe a way to integrate two hoppers so you could see all the tuners and shows on a common menu. That I would pay to have.

I currently have a 2H/3J setup with a true slingbox and hard wired Ethernet. So in effect, I gain absolutely nothing from the newer version.....

1) It may be a little faster but I have no complaints about the current Hopper Systems speed - Nope
2) It may have built-in wifi, but I wouldn't use it anyway since I already have hard wired ethernet to one of my hoppers in bridge mode and my other Hopper and Joeys couldn't be happier of the RG6 quad Moca network - Nope
3) Built-in Sling? Well, I yanked by Sling Adapter off because Dish couldn't keep the connection between my Hoppers and Dish Online stable (unable to view/manage contents and/or all Hoppers show offline) So I have a Slingbox Solo instead that is rock-solid. - Nope.

If they had added another tuner or two, then absolutely, but with just wifi and sling.. not a chance.

Not me. I won't pay $400 to swap out my 2 original Hoppers that are less than a year old. I already have Sling adapters on both of them. The only thing I would gain is the transfer feature to our family's iPads.

I would like the transfer feature because our cabin in Northern Michigan is pretty cut off. We only get OTA TV there, no home broadband, and the cellular coverage isn't reliable enough for video streaming, although it does work fine for Pandora and MLB audio streaming. We spend practically every weekend up there during the summer on the lake so it would be nice to load up our iPads before we go. However, it isn't worth $400 to me.

In just about any other situation I am regularly in we can use WiFi or LTE on our iPads and stream everything with sling so the transfer wouldn't be necessary. A better solution for me would be Verizon putting a nice LTE tower in at the lake. That way I could stream my Tigers baseball video live instead of just the audio.

Just swap out one Hopper. That's my plan.

I think all the people that got hosed paying $ for the 922 should get a free upgrade....922 was a joke for the first 1 1/2 years...now its stable....But in less than 2 years Im on my 3rd....

Sometimes I wonder why people adopt new technology when they know they'll be mad when it gets replaced. You know there is the risk of failure and you for sure know it will be replaced within two years.

Something I have not seen yet is...If I swap one of my joeys for the new hopper to transfer shows to my Ipad will the new hopper see the shows on the original hopper and be able to transfer them as well through my network?

I feel the same as miked-co5 and thomastrain. More tuners, built in OTA, Hopper integration. No need for me to upgrade. Happy with what I have. Could be a little happier though.

I'm going to keep my current Hopper no need for the Hopper 2 sense i don't care bout transfers. I have a sling on one of my Hoppers. So why would i wanna upgrade again would be more cost

Last edited:
Something I have not seen yet is...If I swap one of my joeys for the new hopper to transfer shows to my Ipad will the new hopper see the shows on the original hopper and be able to transfer them as well through my network?

No, you can only transfer content that is stored on the Hopper will Sling hard drive. You could probably transfer the show from the original Hopper to an EHD then from the EHD back to the new Hopper and then transfer to iPad but it won't work the way you mentioned.

i still have a 722 and was hoping that Dish would add some more tuners to the Hopper. I rarely use Sling now. Doubtful that I'll upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts