Dish Hopper with Sling - Would You Upgrade?

Dish Hopper with Sling - Would You Upgrade?

• No

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Only if the monthly cost was the same as the current Hopper

Votes: 32 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going to keep my current Hopper no need for the Hopper 2 sense i don't care bout transfers. I have a sling on one of my Hoppers. So why would i wanna upgrade again would be more cost

This is the beautiful thing about the system, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. Dish does this amazing thing where they come up with lots great products that all offer different features and benefits that can meet anyones needs. Here's the kicker, customers have the choice as to which receiver they want in order to fit their needs. Amazing.

For some reason I sense a bit of anger with people here because Dish made a new Hopper and I don't understand why.

This is the beautiful thing about the system, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. Dish does this amazing thing where they come up with lots great products that all offer different features and benefits that can meet anyones needs. Here's the kicker, customers have the choice as to which receiver they want in order to fit their needs. Amazing.

For some reason I sense a bit of anger with people here because Dish made a new Hopper and I don't understand why.

I'm not the one you quoted from this post but there is no anger from me. I'm very happy with my current 2H/3J setup with 2 sling adapters. If the upgrade was free I would take it. A poll asking if people are going to upgrade from their current system is going to have people explaining their reasoning for saying no. I think it's hard not to sound negative when listing your reasons for saying it's not worth it to you.

Will I get one? No. Am I mad at Dish for releasing a newer version of my hardware? Nope. Not as long as mine keeps working and they continue to update the software. Now there is one exception to this. I understand that the transfer feature won't come to my hoppers and I'm fine with that because it is hardware based. That doesn't bother me. However, if they start to hold software features back from the original hopper that it is capable of handling just so they can differentiate the new hopper that would bother me.

I'm not the one you quoted from this post but there is no anger from me. I'm very happy with my current 2H/3J setup with 2 sling adapters. If the upgrade was free I would take it. A poll asking if people are going to upgrade from their current system is going to have people explaining their reasoning for saying no. I think it's hard not to sound negative when listing your reasons for saying it's not worth it to you.

Will I get one? No. Am I mad at Dish for releasing a newer version of my hardware? Nope. Not as long as mine keeps working and they continue to update the software. Now there is one exception to this. I understand that the transfer feature won't come to my hoppers and I'm fine with that because it is hardware based. That doesn't bother me. However, if they start to hold software features back from the original hopper that it is capable of handling just so they can differentiate the new hopper that would bother me.

You're right. I've been reading so many different threads on the subject and it seems that some people come off as angered about it. People voicing their reasoning for not wanting it does make sense on this paticular thread. I didn't really think about it. Stupid brain. lol

You're right. I've been reading so many different threads on the subject and it seems that some people come off as angered about it. People voicing their reasoning for not wanting it does make sense on this paticular thread. I didn't really think about it. Stupid brain. lol

It is not like this is something new. Dish used to have a new high end HD receiver practically every year, they have had the 6000, 811, 921, 942, 622, 722, 922, Hopper 1, and now Hopper 2. There will always be better boxes coming.

I'm going to swap out one of my Hoppers for the new one if I'm allowed. Since I'll do it myself I don't really need to worry about any upgrade fees. ;)

It is not like this is something new. Dish used to have a new high end HD receiver practically every year, they have had the 6000, 811, 921, 942, 622, 722, 922, Hopper 1, and now Hopper 2. There will always be better boxes coming.

I completely agree. Not sure why some are surprised or upset. I myself love seeing new stuff come out, makes my job more exciting.

For most of us we have our Hoppers set. Sling Adapter if wanted, Wifi if wanted, external HD if wanted. To upgrade in less then a year for me is a diminishing return. What am I getting I don't already have? From what I read a faster processor, and more memory. Currently things are pretty good in my Hopperland, now if they could get the icons working in the external HDs I'd be content....minor issue I know.

The only thing I really care about getting is the ability to transfer my recordings, otherwise I don't need much of the other features.

I just checked my account and see that I qualify for an upgrade. SWEET

The only thing I really care about getting is the ability to transfer my recordings, otherwise I don't need much of the other features.

I just checked my account and see that I qualify for an upgrade. SWEET
Can anyone check their account to see if they qualify?

I have two ViP722s. But due to the higher upgrade cost to the new Hopper, and the one way transfer to the iPad, I will upgrade to the old Hopper, if at all. What might persuade me otherwise is the higher speed, and if once on the iPad, I could HDMI it to an HDTV at our RV and watch on the larger TV. I suspect DRM will prevent that, but I'd love to know otherwise.

As far as wi-fi goes, as long as I have a wired connection available, and I do throughout the house, I'll stick with wired.

I would upgrade if the cost was reasonable. I understand the cost if it's the first time going with a hopper setup, but to simply swap boxes it is way too much. Not saying it should be free, but 2-300 is excessive for something that could be shipped like when a box goes bad.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app.

I'm not 100% on this but I know that when the iPad Dish Remote Access app came out which the on demand BB@Home and other ondemand content, I watched someone use it with either Apple Air or Apple TV over wifi to project the iPad video display up on the TV screen. If I had either of those I would try it out but unfortunately I don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)