Dish Hopper with Sling - Would You Upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dish Hopper with Sling - Would You Upgrade?

• No

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Only if the monthly cost was the same as the current Hopper

Votes: 32 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not me, not right now. Already have 3 Hoppers, too big an expense. I wonder if they can be mixed with the others. Then maybe one just so I could use the transfer feature, but again only if it will work with Android.

It is a lot more stable than the 922 was on launch and this is an upgraded version of the Hopper which is already a pretty stable platform. The 922 was a completely new receiver model which was way different than the previous VIP models. Since the Hopper has been out a year and gone through lots of updates and stability fixes, I would have to say yes to this poll. Also, the Hopper Transfers app is huge in my household and the amount of traveling that my family does with our son who is under 2 years old. Loading up hours of Dora the Explorer and Yo Gaba Gaba is going to be a life saver for us while flying or even in the car in poor reception areas where Sling may not be a good idea.

I have the sling adaptor on the hopper and it works great.

If dish wants it can update the current hopper to do transfer.

The only good thing about the new hopper is build in wifi.

All of dish receiver should have build in wifi.

I would take a bet that if all receivers had Wifi built in, most people would still not use it. Which I'm sure is the reason they didn't include it in all receivers because it would add an additional cost in manufacturing and the amount of people that would utilize it would not be worth the cost to put it in all receivers which is why also problably why they sell Wifi adapters seperate for people who actually need them. Since this Hopper has built in Sling, I understand why they put Wifi in it so that people could connect much easier in order to use the Sling feature. As has already been said, the new Hopper has been beefed up spec wise to make it faster and give it the capability to support a feature like this. So maybe they can equip the Hopper2000 to support transfers but I doubt it.

Not me. I won't pay $400 to swap out my 2 original Hoppers that are less than a year old. I already have Sling adapters on both of them. The only thing I would gain is the transfer feature to our family's iPads.

I would like the transfer feature because our cabin in Northern Michigan is pretty cut off. We only get OTA TV there, no home broadband, and the cellular coverage isn't reliable enough for video streaming, although it does work fine for Pandora and MLB audio streaming. We spend practically every weekend up there during the summer on the lake so it would be nice to load up our iPads before we go. However, it isn't worth $400 to me.

In just about any other situation I am regularly in we can use WiFi or LTE on our iPads and stream everything with sling so the transfer wouldn't be necessary. A better solution for me would be Verizon putting a nice LTE tower in at the lake. That way I could stream my Tigers baseball video live instead of just the audio.

WiFi built in is nice for a lot of people. I have to say the most compelling for me to upgrade would have been a 4th sat tuner and ability for a 2nd OTA tuner. I liked the built-in Sling of the 922 and it operated with far more stability than what people were saying about the Sling Adapter, a Hopper with Sling can be compelling to many, but not being able to transfer to NON-Apple Pads is really unattractive to me.

I see no reason for an upgrade now - but if I could do it for free and have the same monthly cost I would. I will not pay anything to upgrade as long as Dish keeps supporting the original Hopper which by all accounts they will at least for the foreseeable future.

One thing we have yet to find out -- monthly FEES. If Dish "upgrades" the monthly fees ON TOP of the higher initial lease fees then it's a no-go for me.

Plus who's to say that there won't be a Hopper 3.0 less than a year from now with a 2.6GHz processor and some other "must-have" app that Hopper 2.0 can't use?

I'll probably be upgrading (one of the Hoppers) anyway if prices permit though.

perhaps when Hopper 3.0 comes out and justifies paying $400 to upgrade. Not right now though. Current hopper is nice and reliable enough with the same tuners and same storage.

I'd only consider it if:

1. The faster hardware proved to provide substantially faster channel display when surfing channels.
2. Transfer App gets ported to Android.
3. Existing Customers whom already/recently upgraded to the original Hopper get some sort of price break beyond the flat $200 to upgrade.

Figure #3 is unlikely, and #2 probably won't be happening anytime "soon" since it wasn't even mentioned in the press (unless I missed it).

This new bigger, faster Hopper appearing so soon kinda reminds me of the 942/622 scenario when a lot of folks jumped on the 942 and then it wasn't long before the 622 hit, though at least this time the Hopper isn't losing channels like the 942 did at the time.

If the built in wifi acts as it's own router to wifi connected joeys (at the 5 ghz band), it is worth upgrading to me. If it is merely a built in N spec adapter and it functions the same as the first Hopper, I am thinking not. I have a sling adapter and having it built in doesn't (other than packaging) do much for me. The x-fer to iOS isn't worth the difference in price either. It is nice to have, but not at the current asking price.

The channel changing and remote response responds as quickly as you can press the buttons. The difference between Hopper 2000 and Hopper with Sling is like night and day.

So the delay between the channel header appearing and the actual channel content appearing is gone w/ the new Hopper? If true, that is good news. Other thought, can you disable the internal Sling if it isn't being used, so as not to tie up a tuner?

I was referring specifically to the guide. You can put the remote down and hit the channel up button as fast as you can and it will respond accordingly and not lag. And no, you can't disable internal Sling, but the Sling would only use a tuner if someone was enaged in a remote viewing session. If you don't want anyone using the Sling and taking up a tuner, don't give anyone your log in info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts