Status
Please reply by conversation.

TRG

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hi Guys, I wanted to drop a quick note about an observation I made recently. In my area and possibly nationwide, Hollywood Video stores are shutting down. In my area there are at least four that I know of. Each of the buildings has what looks like a commercial 4' offset ku band dish on the roof. I'm going to try and get one If I can. If you decide to do the same let us know how you made out.

hmmm didnt even know we had some here in MN

might have to go to the one about 15 miles away

Wonder if this is nationwide... I know of a couple around here, although Blockbuster is on every corner. They might be the next to fold, with all of the new ways to rent movies these days (Netflix streaming, Redbox, etc.)...

copy and paste from their website:

"Movie Gallery Restructuring

On February 2, 2010, Movie Gallery, Inc., filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. This action will enable Movie Gallery to restructure its debt while continuing to operate its business. The filing does not include Movie Gallery’s Canadian operations, which will continue business as normal.

Movie Gallery’s restructuring will also include the immediate liquidation and closure of approximately 760 Movie Gallery, Hollywood Video and Game Crazy stores. We are closing these because they are not profitable and because funds from liquidating them can help us moving forward.

Throughout the restructuring process, Movie Gallery will remain focused on our core objective – connecting our customers to the best and most personalized entertainment. We are committed to continuing to deliver the quality products and service our customers have come to expect from us."

It's possible that some of their stores aren't closing, but I plan on going by the two that are in my area and see what can be done about their dishes.

Photto

there are 3 of them fairly close by here that are closing down and liquidating their assets, i think i will stop by and try to make an offer on their dishes as soon as i get the chance.
thanks for the tip!!! :)

make an offer?

Normally, they'd have to pay someone to take the "trash" off the roof of the store they rented.
So, if you offer to take it for "free", and that saves them money, they should see you in a positive light.
It's certainly not resellable by them.

And if they leave the "trash" behind, then the owner of the storefront or mall, may be appreciative of you removing it.
Only problem might be whether you are a contractor and have appropriate insurance.
Most building (mall) owners won't let you on their roof.

On the other hand, if the dish IS being removed, to be tossed into the trash, and you can intercept it, that'd work out well, too! - :up

Hollywood Bust!

I stopped in today at the westside Erie, PA store and found out that they are staying open. The one on the eastside of town closed up today. I stopped in and they told me that all items and fixtures are for sale! I asked about the dish and they said that there is one up there and I would I to talk to the manager. He explained to me that it is part of the building and it has to stay! I tried to get info on the buildings owners but was quickly shot down. The business had a terrible time with the investment/management group that owns the building and could never get ahold of anybody when something went wrong and needed fixed. He acted like the place was owned by Charlie! :eek:

I gave up! :(
This store is a good 30+ miles away and it is hard for me to keep going back there!

Last edited:
I'm surprised any video stores are still open. I haven't been in a video store in 15 years.
Ordering a PPV movie is a little more expensive but I don't do it very often so the price doesn't bother me.

I'm surprised any video stores are still open. I haven't been in a video store in 15 years.
Ordering a PPV movie is a little more expensive but I don't do it very often so the price doesn't bother me.

My family has been using Netflix for the last couple of years. It's very convenient.

My family has been using Netflix for the last couple of years. It's very convenient.
I was skeptical about Netflix when I first heard about them, but we'd just bought a blue-ray player, I signed up for the free trial and started ordering both delivered discs (one at a time) and the streaming videos.

I was at walmart a week ago and saw that 2012 was available for $39 blueray and $29 SD disc. When we got home I put 2012 on our queue and saw the note on availability was "a very long time." Then two days later I received it in the mail. And on the instant queue we are watching things like first seasons of Maverick, and the BBC new version of Robin Hood (2005). And this for only $8.99 per month? Wow, color me "impressed" and thank you Satguys.us for teaching me about Netflix.

Photto

The Other Hollywood Video Store Closing

A couple days ago I went by the remaining Hollywood Video store in Erie PA and now they are closing too! :eek:

About one month ago when the eastside store closed, this one on the westside was bragging that they are the store that was making money and were not closing! :rolleyes:

Are any of their stores going to stay open??? :confused:

I will stop and check on the dish! :up

My personal dish hunting tip for P* is this: Pay close attention to old mobile homes, especially the abandoned ones. I have 9 P* dishes and all but 1 were found in these types of settings. I have 4 1.2 M P*, the last 1 I got Saturday. I have gone past that place over a hundred times and never knew it was there. It lies parallel to a north- south road and was hidden behind it. A few parts missing but still usable. Some of you guys who live in metro areas might have to drive a long way to find situations like this. Have you ever caught yourself taking different ways to get to the places you would usually go, just to look for dishes?

Attachments

• mother lode.JPG
    mother lode.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 128
  • peekaboo.JPG
    peekaboo.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 132
  • safe at home.JPG
    safe at home.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 148
My personal dish hunting tip for P* is this: Pay close attention to old mobile homes, especially the abandoned ones.
I got one that was sitting at an empty lot at my brother-in-laws MHP. And I know of at least 3 other P* dishes I have seen in my travels, not to mention the numerous BUDS around the countryside.

Have you ever caught yourself taking different ways to get to the places you would usually go, just to look for dishes?
Yup. ;)

I'm in Erie Too !!

Are you on 26th street near Shultz's with the Fortec dish on your house???

I went past that dish many times and have been wanting to stop by!!!

I am actually about 15 miles west of Erie (past Girard) and in between what you know as 12th street and 26th street. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)