Dish in Hawaii, will it work with a SuperDish?

psu190

Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
Hello guys, came across your forum after doing tons and tons of research.

I've searched the threads and couldn't find an answer so I thought I would ask.

I want to go with dish because i had bad experiences with DirecTV. I can only have 1 dish on the roof or in the ground, will the superdish work to pick up the main programming on 110/119. I could care less about the int. channels or hdtv. Or will i need 2 seperate dish to pick up the main programming? This is only going to one tv, 2 at the most. Does superdish sound like the route to go? I've emailed DISH and they haven't responded in a few days. Also I came across 2 different verisons of superdish, verison 1 and 2 i guess. Anyone know the difference?

Thanks for the help if you can.
RLB

Last edited:
As far I know you'll need to use two separate dishes to do a d500 in Hawai or Alaska
because is the same footprint we have here in Puerto Rico.

No a Superdish will not work.

You will need at least a 24" dish fo 119 and a 30" dish for 110.

Even with that if you are in a wet area, expect lots of rain fade.

Dune

2 dishes are required here in Alaska to get 119/110. However, the majority of the programming is on 119. HD channels, and a few others, are on 110. I currently have a 6' dish at 119 for main programming and a 30" dish at 148 for CBSHD-W.:)

okay so a 24' dish for 119 and a 30' for 110, well i guess it's going to be two dishes then, thanks for the input guys.

RLB

You don't want to buy a dish and find out that you have lots of rain fade and a low signal level after you get it setup. You'll be alot happier with a larger dish. I would suggest driving around town and look what other people have up for Dish. This will give you a good idea of what will work.

thats what i've been doing, i've seen folks around who have dish, and all that they have up is a single dish, looks like a 24', not a superdish or a dish 500. 24 or 30, maybe better to go with a larger dish.

They probably only have one dish pointed at 119W since thats were most of the programming comes from but I would highly suggest getting a dish for 110 also. You will get lots more channels by having two dishes. I would go with two 30" dishes just for peace of mind. Theres no such thing as a dish too big!!!

Technically Dish only sells programming in Hawaii using the 119 sat. Most of the retailers won't even talk about the 110 sat or even HD since it is on the 110.

I live in Kona and use the set up that I suggested on my previous post. I also get HD using an 811.

But be prepared for rain fade even using a 30" dish.

Dune

okay got a bid on a 30' dish, should i get a dish legacy single lnb since i'm only going to be hooking it into 1 receiver or something different. Kind of tough now that i'm pieceing it together. Also any recommendations on a reciever?

thanks

I'd have to imagine that there is a way to modify a superdish to accept the lnbfs for 119 and 110, just have to find a serious satellite enthusiat on the island and see about getting a superdish and 2 dishpro dual lnbfs and a sw34 switch.

I know i wish i could, i live on one of the remote islands where i only 2-3 people at most had dish in there yards, but i found a 30' thats pretty cheap, only need to get the other parts.

Van said:
I'd have to imagine that there is a way to modify a superdish to accept the lnbfs for 119 and 110, just have to find a serious satellite enthusiat on the island and see about getting a superdish and 2 dishpro dual lnbfs and a sw34 switch.
I wish that someone would come out with a lnb bracket for the superdish to fit a twin and a dual on there for 110/119/129. I would definetly buy one.

Van said:
A superdish already has LNBFs for 119 and 110, but probably won't work in the specific areas.

If you have a DVR you definitely want 110 because that's the only place the extended guide comes from.

Pepper said:
A superdish already has LNBFs for 119 and 110, but probably won't work in the specific areas.
If you have a DVR you definitely want 110 because that's the only place the extended guide comes from.

I think Van was talking about having a bracket/adapter that puts the 110 and 119 lnbs in the middle of the dish, like a Dish 500.

BrettTRay said:
I think Van was talking about having a bracket/adapter that puts the 110 and 119 lnbs in the middle of the dish, like a Dish 500.
It won't work,issues with elevation and azimuth will create a nightmare to Allin that dish,Not to mention fading all the way,no only with rain but also on the nights when a weak signal will go down.

psu190 said:
Hello guys, came across your forum after doing tons and tons of research.

I've searched the threads and couldn't find an answer so I thought I would ask.

I want to go with dish because i had bad experiences with DirecTV. I can only have 1 dish on the roof or in the ground, will the superdish work to pick up the main programming on 110/119. I could care less about the int. channels or hdtv. Or will i need 2 seperate dish to pick up the main programming? This is only going to one tv, 2 at the most. Does superdish sound like the route to go? I've emailed DISH and they haven't responded in a few days. Also I came across 2 different verisons of superdish, verison 1 and 2 i guess. Anyone know the difference?

Thanks for the help if you can.
RLB

You need to talk to one of your local dealers, and have them give you advice on the best system is going to be for your circumstances.

My Brother lives in the Honolulu area, and can't even get a signal, because of the mountains, that block the the view of the Birds.

D* & E* don't have a clue about what you can use, so talk to a Tech that is in your area...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)