DISH INSERTED ADVERTISING

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Have any of you noticed that sometimes when a commercial comes on on a national channel that Dish will sometimes insert their own advertising or advertising from someone else who pays Dish to advertise on Dish Network?

The thing that irriates me is the national ad from the channel will start, play about 5 seconds, and then Dish interrupts it and puts in their own advertising.

That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that when Dish's ad finally ends, then you've lost about five seconds of the show you were watching on the national channel. This occurs a lot on the NHL Network (625 & 403).

Can someone contact Dish and tell them to straighten this out? They need to get their act together. I don't mind them inserting their own ads or ads from someone that pays Dish to advertise. I understand they make additional revenue from that. But I do mind it when they cut off my programming that I pay for with these ads.

The cable companies do this all the time. However, their ads start and end at the proper time so that you do not miss any of your programming.

It really tees me off. !protest

Have any of you noticed that sometimes when a commercial comes on on a national channel that Dish will sometimes insert their own advertising or advertising from someone else who pays Dish to advertise on Dish Network?

The thing that irriates me is the national ad from the channel will start, play about 5 seconds, and then Dish interrupts it and puts in their own advertising.

That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that when Dish's ad finally ends, then you've lost about five seconds of the show you were watching on the national channel. This occurs a lot on the NHL Network (625 & 403).

Can someone contact Dish and tell them to straighten this out? They need to get their act together. I don't mind them inserting their own ads or ads from someone that pays Dish to advertise. I understand they make additional revenue from that. But I do mind it when they cut off my programming that I pay for with these ads.

The cable companies do this all the time. However, their ads start and end at the proper time so that you do not miss any of your programming.

It really tees me off. !protest

:up:up I can't agree with you more. The crazy part is many times it is advertising aimed at new subs. I don't need to know about their program offerings at $9.95 for the first 6 months:mad:

Yes all cable and satellite companies insert ads during "local avail" periods, its not just a Dish thing. The ads they stick in are up to them. As for the timing its all automated and the commercials are actually stated via a cue from the broadcaster. If a commercial starts a second or two late it is because the cue was sent late.

When I use to work in cable, we used the ARIVS system, I can still remember going to the headend and replacing the tapes as needed. :)

Nothing new from a provider. I have been through several and they all did the same thing.
Before there was cable, before there was satellite...locals stations would cut into national feeds to air auto dealer commercials. Primitive and inexcusable.;)

Then there are the huge volume spikes....

:mad:

Exactly! Even more annoying than the few seconds of program they rob from us is the 50-100% increase in volume for these Dish ads. A poorly presented ad gives the advertiser the opposite of the effect intended...

The volume spike problem is due to the fact that they insert commercials with normal stereo into an HD channel broadcasting in Dolby digital (see numerous other posts on the volume/dynamic range differences). If they just converted the commercial audio to Dolby too, things would be much more tolerable.

What the heck is a "commercial"?? I think I used to see those a long time ago (pre-DVR)...
:up

I still don't understand why anyone watches live TV (with commercials) anymore :confused: You don't even need to "record" the program; that's what the Pause and Skip buttons are for :)

Talon Dancer

They used to have a problem on Fox News where their (Dish's) commercials would end 30 seconds later than the actual break. I called their tech support people up and they swore to me that they didn't play commercials and that it was Fox's fault.

For weeks I tried unsuccessfully to educate them, and eventually out of frustration started working my way up their chain of command until I reached the office of their senior VP of technical services. I left him a voice mail explaining how frustrating it was watching Oliver North broadcasting live from a helicopter in Iraq while he was being shot at only to have it interrupted by their stupid commercials that weren't timed properly.

The gentleman left me a nice apologetic message on my voice mail and said that he was instructing the uplink center to record Fox News that night and look into it. He also left me his personal cell phone number and told me to call him back if it ever happened again, or I ever had any other problems.

The next day it was fixed.

This was several years ago (obviously). And no, I no longer have his number.

The volume spike problem is due to the fact that they insert commercials with normal stereo into an HD channel broadcasting in Dolby digital (see numerous other posts on the volume/dynamic range differences). If they just converted the commercial audio to Dolby too, things would be much more tolerable.

But the Dish ads are much louder than the other pro logic ads on HD broadcasts...

:up

I still don't understand why anyone watches live TV (with commercials) anymore :confused: You don't even need to "record" the program; that's what the Pause and Skip buttons are for :)

Talon Dancer

This is fine for regular pre-recorded TV programs. However, most true sports fans want to see the event as it is actually happening (plus 2-3 seconds for satellite relay). That's much of the appeal of sports events -- the immediacy of the action.

Or, if you were recording the news and watching it 20 minutes later, you might have been too late in finding out the news that the world had just ended...:(

yeah the snoring ad (lol) and at the end when they say dot com it is even louder than the rest of the overly loud commercial i have that whole commercial memorized

I watch alot of the NHL network and these Dish inserted commercials piss me off! And yes they are always late when i am watching NHL On The Fly

...Or, if you were recording the news and watching it 20 minutes later, you might have been too late in finding out the news that the world had just ended...:(
I'm betting in this case, I'd have found out that the world had ended IMMEDIATELY, even If I hadn't "seen it live" on TV :)

BTW I've heard the "sports event immediacy" argument before. I just don't buy it. Satellite Guys sorts fans already live in a 2-3 second time warp due to satellite transmission-reception. A few more seconds/minutes can only matter if the result can be "spoiled" by someone who witnessed the event before you did AND communicated that experience before you have a chance to witness it yourself. So just close yourself off from the world until you see the whole event. From what I heard/read this is something many sports fans are already very good at :)

Talon Dancer

I emailed Eric Sahl at Dish about this problem a couple of weeks ago. He has always responded to my emails in the past. This time he didn't.

And the commercials are still loud, especially on HD channels, and late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts