DISH installation - removal of D* dish

kevinbct

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
New England
My installation is scheduled for this Wednesday.

When placing my order, the representative I was working with assured me that the installer would be able to remove my D* dish from the roof because I could not tolerate having 2 dishes on the roof.

I asked him several times, as this was a deal breaker for me. He said there could be a $59 charge and I could have that put on the first bill. I said that was fine. He made a note of it in the installation notes.

Was the rep bluffing or will my old dish actually get removed as requested?

My installation is scheduled for this Wednesday.

When placing my order, the representative I was working with assured me that the installer would be able to remove my D* dish from the roof because I could not tolerate having 2 dishes on the roof.

I asked him several times, as this was a deal breaker for me. He said there could be a $59 charge and I could have that put on the first bill. I said that was fine. He made a note of it in the installation notes.

Was the rep bluffing or will my old dish actually get removed as requested?

Some guys will... some will not. Technically we're not suppose to as it creates more chances for damages. But most of us do anyway so we don't piss off any more customers.

If the mast of the DirectTV dish is solid, they will most likely use the very same mast and just put our Dish on top of that.... unless it is mounted way up on your roof and you get someone that doesn't want to go up there....

Bottom line.....If the installer says no... offer him the $59 in cash and I bet his story changes. (the Call Center can't make a technician do anything they don't want or feel uncomfortable doing, but some extra cash is usually pretty persuasive for special requests for most techs)

D* tech have always asked me ,If I want them to take my old Dish. I've always said yes, and they have always taken then without an issue. Like I said I've NEVER asked them , They always asked me.

I will never remove a bolt from a roof. You don't want the bolts removed or the foot. the removal could if it were installed correctly lead to more damage then leaving it there. However if I saw a mast and it was solid I would ask if I could use the existiing mast for my install.

The last thing that installer wants to do is remove that dish only to have you balk and bitch until he puts it back up.

This is something the installer has to judge. We've all been stabbed in the back by customers. Most of us repeatedly. That said, the only people I ever turned down were the ones who were rather bitchy about it, the ones where I could not get LOS from the existing location, and the ones that were installed by hacks. I did a lot of D*s and after they started their credit check and I had people with no $50 balk at paying......Well, lets just say that if you bitched at me to get the other dish taken down and then you bombed the CC and/or refused to prepay D*, you were on your own with that other dish.

Its just one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations that customers put us in. Happens in automotive, too. At least there, I am an employee, so if they direct me to do something for free for the customer, the store still has to pay me.

D* tech have always asked me ,If I want them to take my old Dish. I've always said yes, and they have always taken then without an issue. Like I said I've NEVER asked them , They always asked me.

It could be your installer may do both Dish and Direct and may have use of the equipment. If he is not, he would have no interest in Taking the Old Dish with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)