dish installer has ?

deerejohn

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
:confused: i am currently a dish installer for a RSP and have always wondered how to sell and install on my own. I have talked to retail services and becoming a retailer is very involved so i guess i was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas were to start.

Good luck... you got to fill out a bunch of paperwork, it's pretty involved plus I think you have to buy a minimum amount of inventory and have a storefront (business location) and fill out a company credit app.

At one time I was going to try to do the same thing out of my house but the complexities of how to start a company and generate the documentation required by Echosphere plus what it would cost to rent a space in a business-zoned area for the required storefront killed my desire to be a dish retailer.

If you've already incorporated or at least have a business "DBA" license I guess that would be the place to start. Then go to https://retailer.echostar.com/ and click on the "become a retailer" link there.

Yes tons of paper work and You must have a store front, pass a credit check(good FICA score), and so on. I went through this a few years ago and it ain't easy. But if you feel you are up to it follow the link pepper sent.

Just for fun I filled out the online forms. After that I found the list of requirements under public access content, prospective retailer supporting documents and forms; number one on the list is a retail place of business and number three is must have staff available to answer calls during business hours. It sounds like an individual doesn't have a chance, they are looking for established businesses.

When/if somebody calls me I will see what they say. I seriously doubt this will go anywhere.

Edit: Almost a week, I haven't heard a word.

Last edited:
Try going through a distributor like CVS Systems www.cvssystems.com or others, not sure who it would be in your area or if there is one.

You also have to be approved by echostar but the distributor will help you through the process.

I am now a retailer took me about 3 weeks total and you do have to buy a minimum first order, but it equals around $1500. (3 Systems). Get them activated and usually can order what you need, when you need it.

The real pain in the A@@ was getting qualified and approved for an equifax account (to look up the credit for potential customers) I had to pay $200 deposit.

Hope this helps. Good luck to ya.

As noted, becoming a retailer/seller is complicated and involved.

But, becoming a contractor/installer for a number of different business may be enough for you. Especially if your RSP pays you by the hour. Check for install work at local high-end A/V home theater stores, Sears, CC, and others.
You want all or the biggest percentage of the Dish install fee paid.

fred

What is an RSP?

I don't know if dish has a similar setup, but through perfect-10 and metron you can get directv installs. I didn't do business with metron, but I already had a perfect 10 account so becoming an installer for them was easy. Problem is, they had too many, and they didn't give me enough work to pay for the insurance they required, so I just canceled it (the insurance). AFAIK, I still have a contract, they just won't give me any work unless I give them proof of insurance.

The real problem with being a contractor is that most places want to force workman's comp on you. The company I contract with forces it on us, but they deduct it from our check. They jacked me to the tune of $1700 last year. I got hurt once (stepped on a nail at a junky residence). That cost $200 in doctor's fees and prescriptions + 8 days off because I got cellulitus (or whatever). The WC paid for the doctor and medicine, but in MS, you have to miss like 2 weeks of work to qualify for WC.

I'm thinking about getting a workman's comp policy. It'll cost $750 and would cover all my employees. There are 2 caveats: It won't cover ME, and I don't have any employees. WC is a big scam.

I've successfully fought it with perfect 10 and another company because MS does not require the owner of a business to cover themselves with WC.

Watch out for the mom and pops. Make sure you get paid weekly. You don't want D* or E* nailing them with a buttload of chargebacks to the point of going out of business (while they owe you money), and that happens every day.

Better still, if you can find a retailer who is running their installs through metron or Perfect 10, you might be able to cut a deal with them to switch to you. A better deal than might be found locally. They can save some scratch (Perfect 10 charges retailers out the wazoo), and you can make a little extra.

Last edited:
RSP is a Regional Service Provider; a dish authorized service provider. We do have an office of which I am a tech employee of, but we are not a retailer. We do new installs, upgrades, service issues, as well as fix problems caused by retailers.

chadzx11 said:
I don't know if dish has a similar setup, but through perfect-10 and metron you can get directv installs. I didn't do business with metron, but I already had a perfect 10 account so becoming an installer for them was easy.

Metron went out of business a couple of months ago.:)

JohnnyProphet2001 said:
We do new installs, upgrades, service issues, as well as fix problems caused by retailers.

And yourself's of course.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts