DISH Introduces Flex Pack

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Finally, a Skinny Bundle! ‘Don't Watch, Don't Pay' with DISH's New Flex Pack
  • Flex Pack skinny bundle offers choice, flexibility to create personalized TV package
  • $39.99 per month includes core package plus choice of one of eight channel packs
  • Channel packs, interchangeable monthly, include Locals, Variety, Kids, Action, etc.
  • Available for new and existing DISH customers
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today DISH launched a new way to package and purchase pay-TV. The Flex Pack skinny bundle debuts at $39.99 per month with a core package of programming consisting of more than 50 channels and the choice of one of eight themed channel packs. Customers can add and remove as many channel packs as they would like each month to best suit their entertainment needs. Individual packs feature local broadcast networks, kids, national and regional action and general entertainment, and range in price from $4 to $10 per month.

This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160804005782/en/

Finally%2C_a_skinny_bundle_webready.jpg

DISH launched a new way to package and purchase pay-TV with the introduction of Flex Pack.

"Our customers are frustrated with having to pay for hundreds of channels, most of which they never watch," said Warren Schlichting, DISH executive vice president of Marketing, Programming and Media Sales. "Flex Pack provides a level of flexibility and control that brings our customers closer to the ideal of fully tailoring their channel lineup."

The Flex Pack core package features more than 50 channels like AMC, TNT, USA, HGTV, E!, Cartoon Network, History, A&E, CNN, Discovery, TBS, Food Network, FX and TV Land. The channel packs include the following:

Locals Pack ($10 per month): CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, as well as Univision and others based on the local market

Variety Pack ($6 per month): Investigation Discovery, Lifetime Movie Network, Freeform, Bravo, BET, Crime & Investigation

Kids Pack ($10 per month): Disney Channel, Disney Jr., Animal Planet, Nick Jr., Disney XD, Nicktoons, Boomerang, Baby TV

National Action Pack ($10 per month): ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, Velocity, AXS TV, Fuse, TV Games Network, TVG2, Universal HD

News Pack ($10 per month): FOX News Channel, MSNBC, Weather Channel, CNBC, FOX Business Network, BBC World News, Bloomberg, TheBlaze

Heartland Pack ($6 per month): Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, GSN, OWN, Uplifting Entertainment, Discovery Family, Baby TV, PIXL, RFD-TV, Ride TV, FamilyNet

Regional Action Pack ($10 per month): In-market regional sports network(s), Big Ten Network, FS2, Longhorn Network, Outside TV, Pac-12 Network, SEC Network, World Fishing Network, ESPN Buzzer Beater

Outdoor Pack ($4 per month): Outdoor Channel, Outside TV, Sportsman Channel, World Fishing Network

Customers who choose not to add any channel packs can receive the Flex Pack core programming for $29.99. Premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz are also available as add-ons for an additional fee. A complete channel lineup can be found at www.dish.com.

Flex Pack includes a standard DISH receiver, free installation and a two-year price guarantee for new customers. For an additional $10 per month, new customers can upgrade their equipment to the award-winning Hopper 3. Customers must enroll in eBill and AutoPay to be eligible to receive these offers.

Pretty much what people wanted. See if this can help stop the bleeding. With the EHD slapped on many receivers, this gives people the option to cut the bill, but still have access to the EHD and a DVR. Not many plans out there offer this much in the way of choice at the price Dish is offering.

Alas for me, no NBCSN, so it won't work, but for many others, I bet it will.

Well looks like I can opt out of locals, get those over the air and save $10 a month. Let the locals continue to be greedy and go into dispute with dish. Just cut them off!
Just remember that, without the locals package, that Guide data will not be available. That makes it a bit more difficult to set timers or see what is on the channel...

Reactions: cycu1996
I find it interesting that they added BBC World Service and the MTV Digital Suite "officially" and have made no mention of those additions. Also, it appears that the MTV Digital Suite is in the FlexPack only? One would think they would have an "add on" for them at least.
Of course, logic would also suggest that the provider put those channels in the top tier packages as well.
Not sure what they are smokin' in the programming and marketing department out in Englewood. Of course, it is legal there now, LOL

Just remember that, without the locals package, that Guide data will not be available. That makes it a bit more difficult to set timers or see what is on the channel...
Traditionally true, though DISH added them for the Tribune stations. Maybe they will now provide them? I see DISH trying to become less dependent on carrying the locals with recent moves it would help their cause if people got the guide without subscribing. Probably they won't.

I asked DISH a few questions and here are the replies I received...

1) The new Flex Packs contain channels which are not available to customers who subscribe to the “America’s Top” packages such as BBC World News and the MTV Music Suite. Will these channels be made available to the DISH AT subscribers as well or must they downgrade their packages to these Flex Packs to get those channels?

Answer · If the channel is part of the set of core programming for the Flex Pack offer, then yes, customers would need to move to the Flex Pack offer in order to receive that programming. However, in the case of BBC World News, or any network included in the suite of eight channels packs, an AT subscriber can now add one of the eight channel packs to their AT line up and receive the programming.

2) Some SatelliteGuys Readers are reporting that they are being told that they will need a new Smart Card in order to subscribe to the new Flex Packs, is this true? If it is true then which receiver models will need updated smart cards?

Answer · Yes, at no charge to our customers we will ship a new Smart Card so those who would like to subscribe to our new Flex Pack offer can. It’s a straight-forward process of just pulling out the old one and inserting in the new one. The update is specific to some of our older receivers that have G3 Smart Cards.

1) The new Flex Packs contain channels which are not available to customers who subscribe to the “America’s Top” packages such as BBC World News and the MTV Music Suite. Will these channels be made available to the DISH AT subscribers as well or must they downgrade their packages to these Flex Packs to get those channels?

Answer ,
However, in the case of BBC World News, or any network included in the suite of eight channels packs, an AT subscriber can now add one of the eight channel packs .

And there it is ...

Thanks for the Info Scott.

I guess the people that wanted the MTV Suite are SOL?

My Flex pack says $34.99 under my account.
So I'm going to assume that's existing customer price.

And why does the Flex pack have an expiration date in October?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Answer · If the channel is part of the set of core programming for the Flex Pack offer, then yes, customers would need to move to the Flex Pack offer in order to receive that programming. However, in the case of BBC World News, or any network included in the suite of eight channels packs, an AT subscriber can now add one of the eight channel packs to their AT line up and receive the programming.

2) Some SatelliteGuys Readers are reporting that they are being told that they will need a new Smart Card in order to subscribe to the new Flex Packs, is this true? If it is true then which receiver models will need updated smart cards?

Answer · Yes, at no charge to our customers we will ship a new Smart Card so those who would like to subscribe to our new Flex Pack offer can. It’s a straight-forward process of just pulling out the old one and inserting in the new one. The update is specific to some of our older receivers that have G3 Smart Cards.
So basically if you want bbcwn or the MTV suite you have to change to flex?

Such a deal! I can spend $10 a month to get one measly SD Channel, BBC World News. I am already paying $90 for Top 250, whats another ten bucks?

And Dish is wondering why they are losing customers left and right?

(Dish competitors have had BBC World News in HD for several years and they certainly don't charge extra for it, lol.)

I have 2 722k boxes. One has the G4 and the other has the smartcard built in so I don't know what G it is. I don't guess it matters since I'm not going to downgrade my programming to get a few music video channels.

Reactions: julesism
Can anyone confirm what package if any a regional sports network FOX SPORTS SOUTHWEST is available in? I called and she didn't know thanks.

One nice touch on the Dish website, I was messing around with Flex Pack and if you pick more then one add on, it lets you see the difference between that and 120 package

Reactions: Tampa8
Dish customer chat finally found the answer that your regional sports network is NOT AVAILABLE with flex at all. PAC, SEC, BTN, and Longhorn network are but no local regional such as FOX SW.

I'd like to know if bbc world news is available to at250 subs thru the dish anywhere app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)