Dish is a big mess these days

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I have been a dish customer for a long time. Most of the time I don't complain about price increases or added or removed channels. I am not keeping track of what HD channels are being added. I tired to find some compassion charts between Dish and Direct TV, but those were old and not reflecting current HD channels. I noticed lately that there were not many channels added in the past year or so, infect because of the various litigation between dish and programming providers some HD channels were removed. For starters, the very old litigation between Dish and ABC that removed ESPN News and Disney XD. It does looks like those would never be in HD anymore. I think Hallmark channel was HD at some point; FXM and both Movie Channels East and West listed HD, but broadcast in SD. Not sure why we got Fox Sports 2 not in HD. In fact I think the only HD channel that was actually added was Esquire Network, which I have not watched at all.

My Bill is $130

America's Top 250 79.99
DVR Service 12.00
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
Joey Receiver 7.00
Joey Receiver 7.00
Joey Receiver 7.00
Protection Plan 7.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10) 0.00

I was enjoying the Blockbuster DVD rental, but that was removed, instead I got couple of movie vouchers that expired already. I had to join Netflix DVD rental. I live in L.A., we did not get Lakers and not sure if we will, however Dish promotes itself as a sports leader.

Maybe I should start call and complain about price increases and no value to support the price increase.

Do you agree?

Supposedly the ESPN/Disney thing is going to be resolved this month. Would not hold my breath for anything FOX-related to get resolved any time soon. The FXM listing appears to be a website error, though their On Demand content is in HD.

With the DVD rental service gone, BBAH not the great deal it was - I would drop that and see if they are offering any deals on that package or other premiums. Also, the protection plan is a waste of money, IMO. If you ever need a trouble call or upgrade done, you can add it and then canel after a few months. How can you use three Joeys (4 TVs) with just three tuners? That seems odd.

Anyways, it sounds like you may want to switch to Direct for a while and see how you like it.

I have been a dish customer for a long time. Most of the time I don't complain about price increases or added or removed channels. I am not keeping track of what HD channels are being added. I tired to find some compassion charts between Dish and Direct TV, but those were old and not reflecting current HD channels. I noticed lately that there were not many channels added in the past year or so, infect because of the various litigation between dish and programming providers some HD channels were removed. For starters, the very old litigation between Dish and ABC that removed ESPN News and Disney XD. It does looks like those would never be in HD anymore. I think Hallmark channel was HD at some point; FXM and both Movie Channels East and West listed HD, but broadcast in SD. Not sure why we got Fox Sports 2 not in HD. In fact I think the only HD channel that was actually added was Esquire Network, which I have not watched at all.

My Bill is $130

America's Top 250 79.99
DVR Service 12.00
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
Joey Receiver 7.00
Joey Receiver 7.00
Joey Receiver 7.00
Protection Plan 7.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10) 0.00

I was enjoying the Blockbuster DVD rental, but that was removed, instead I got couple of movie vouchers that expired already. I had to join Netflix DVD rental. I live in L.A., we did not get Lakers and not sure if we will, however Dish promotes itself as a sports leader.

Maybe I should start call and complain about price increases and no value to support the price increase.

Do you agree?

I would agree that you are not getting much value for what you're paying. I have my bill cheaper than yours and I have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, but I have 4 referral credits going right now.

First thing I would do is drop Blockbuster and the Protection Plan. As for the rest, you'd have to ask Dish if there are any discounts available to you. You could also try referring some people and drop your bill even more.

Supposedly the ESPN/Disney thing is going to be resolved this month. Would not hold my breath for anything FOX-related to get resolved any time soon. The FXM listing appears to be a website error, though their On Demand content is in HD.

With the DVD rental service gone, BBAH not the great deal it was - I would drop that and see if they are offering any deals on that package or other premiums. Also, the protection plan is a waste of money, IMO. If you ever need a trouble call or upgrade done, you can add it and then cancel after a few months. How can you use three Joeys (4 TVs) with just three tuners? That seems odd.

Anyways, it sounds like you may want to switch to Direct for a while and see how you like it.

80% of the time only two TV are being used.

I would agree that you are not getting much value for what you're paying. I have my bill cheaper than yours and I have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, but I have 4 referral credits going right now.

First thing I would do is drop Blockbuster and the Protection Plan. As for the rest, you'd have to ask Dish if there are any discounts available to you. You could also try referring some people and drop your bill even more.
If the customer is unhappy with DISH why would you expect he would want to recommend a friend for a $5/mo. referral fee? Bellevuecoug really has a good suggestion for unhappy DISH customers "TRY DIRECTV" if you are happier with the competitor forget about DISH. If unhappy then the grass wasn't greener on the otherside of the fence. With the comments about sports DIRECTV might be a better match.

Call your cable company and find out what a HD box for each room costs. DISH will be cheaper.

None of us are happy about the new rates but its still better than most alternatives.

On 1 of Dish's commercials they state they're constantly adding HD channels.

Wonder if it's a different dish service from the 1 I use because I haven't noticed the constant HD additions. :rolleyes:

80% of the time only two TV are being used.

For max savings, 1 Hopper and one wireless Joey that you move from room to room. Or as stated, mirror or some combination thereof. And drop BB@H and maybe protection.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

On 1 of Dish's commercials they state they're constantly adding HD channels.

Wonder if it's a different dish service from the 1 I use because I haven't noticed the constant HD additions. :rolleyes:

Every night, I get HD added during a PAC12 or RSN basketball game. Of course, it goes back to SD after the game but, hey, it's an HD addition, right?

I noticed lately that there were not many channels added in the past year or so, infect because of the various litigation between dish and programming providers some HD channels were removed. For starters, the very old litigation between Dish and ABC that removed ESPN News and Disney XD.
Outside of a lot of your information being outdated on just plain wrong, is there a channel in particular that you're looking for?

There haven't been many compelling new channels introduced in quite a while (outside of Spanish HD channels). It appears that the current differential in count is that DIRECTV has ten or eleven more HD PPV channels than DISH does. There are channels that one has that the other doesn't on both sides so you have to take a critical look at what is important. If count is the only thing that is important, I suppose that could be used as a criteria.

Look at all your options. If you don't have any that are somehow cheaper or better, you're no more or less a victim of pricing creep than any of the rest of us.

If DISH is a mess based on what you said, wait till you see Cable, maybe even Direct TV. The only reason Direct TV has added channels more than DISH recently is because most of them DISH already had. Also at the end of 2012 several HD channels were added by DISH btw. As others have asked, is there a particular channel outside of Disney/ESPN that you are looking for because there is a thread here listing what is available out there that DISH does not have, and it isn't alot that interests most people. Several should be added when they finally ink the contract, so "Stand-by."

Dropping the protection plan and just one Joey saves $17 a month, while still keeping all the programming.

Edit to correct savings.. $14

Last edited:
If DISH is a mess based on what you said, wait till you see Cable, maybe even Direct TV. The only reason Direct TV has added channels more than DISH recently is because most of them DISH already had. Also at the end of 2012 several HD channels were added by DISH btw. As others have asked, is there a particular channel outside of Disney/ESPN that you are looking for because there is a thread here listing what is available out there that DISH does not have, and it isn't alot that interests most people. Several should be added when they finally ink the contract, so "Stand-by."

Dropping the protection plan and just one Joey saves $17 a month, while still keeping all the programming.

Now I'm confused, has there been a price increase on PP or joey fee?

Just got my TWC bill. They are going up also. Standard cable up $3, Primary bo:mad:DVR) up $1.25, additional boxed $1.75, Guide up $2.75 and a new broadcast fee of $2.25. So Dish's increase aren't that bad.

I wouldn't call Dish a mess....but to say I'm pleased with them in 2014 would definitely be a huge stretch.$5 programming hike,nothing new added,WWE ppvs dropped,doesn't make it seem like such a great value anymore.A $2 heck maybe even a $3 increase would have been much easier to stomach,or more content added.Oh I almost forgot that they dropped AAD,and are now only offering TNA ppvs in sd.I really don't get what they are trying to do.It almost seems like they are trying to push customers into lower packages,or jump to Dtv.I'm not at the point of calling loyalty yet due to referral credits,but much more and I won't hesitate to make the call.

Call your cable company and find out what a HD box for each room costs. DISH will be cheaper. None of us are happy about the new rates but its still better than most alternatives.
Until satellite providers offer a "cable card" type of discount rate for owned equipment (and I've read plenty of posts on these forums from people who own their equipment), they will never be the cheapest alternative for equipment. Hell, Samsung recently introduced a non-dvr cable stb that runs on a cable card.

Unfortunately, these continual increases aren't going to push subs to Direct or cable (who are also jacking up rates), but push them to cut the cord. Every year that options looks more and more interesting to me. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts