Dish is asking me to send back 522 that was deactivated years ago!?

jdr01930

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2005
Gloucester, MA
A few years back, I had a 622 and a 522 on my account. I determined I really only needed one receiver, so called and had the 522 deactivated. I asked if they wanted me to send it back, they said no, I could hang onto it as a spare and/or activate it in the future if needed. Basically they didn't care and didn't want it.

My online account has correctly reflected that I only have a 622

Fast forward to last month:
I joined DHPP, got my 61.5 and 110/119 dish's replaced with an EA 1000.4, and traded my 622 for a 722 since the HDMI port was dead on the 622. When the tech showed up, he thought he was adding to my setup or replacing a 522. Work order weirdness, did not think much of it. He took the 622 with him per my conversation with Dish when I set this all up.

A few days ago, i get an email saying they are sending a box to return my 522! What's up with that? Luckily I still have it. I would prefer to keep it as spare but don't NEED to I guess.
email says: We have processed your request to return the following equipment: Receiver DishPro 522

This just seems strange that they would suddenly ask for a receiver back that was deactivated years ago - I traded a 622 for a 722 and now they want the old 522 back??. Luckily I didn't throw it out. Is this normal???

Did you purchase the 522? Do you have the receipt? If you don't, then it belongs to Dish Network. All the equipment you get from them is leased equipment and belongs to them.

It was definitely a leased receiver - I did not buy it. If fact, I deactivated it to save the lease fee. But of course due to their weird policies at the time it did not work out that way and I didn't save any $$.

It just seems odd that after seemingly abandoning it a few years ago they could suddenly ask for it back.

Edit - I'm not angry with dish or anything - I've been very happy with their service. This just kinda caught me off guard and seems odd.

Also - crap! I posted this in the wrong forum - should be in the regular Dish Network Forums not Technical Discussions. If a mod wants to move it that's fine with me. Oops!

Timberwolf is right. That 522 is now just a door stop for you. It could not be re-activated on your account due to you now having Eastern Arc.

make sure they don't think you still have the 622, that could come back to bite you later. Saying this since you stated that the work order was to replace the 522 not the 622.

make sure they don't think you still have the 622, that could come back to bite you later. Saying this since you stated that the work order was to replace the 522 not the 622.

Second this. In addition to your now being on Eastern Arc and the technology not being compatible with the old 522, it also sounds like the CSR who set up your upgrade may have not checked to see which receiver was which in their haste and did the upgrade swap based on the 522, and could have possibly left the 622 in there. Better to be safe than have to fight them later.

Good point - I'll check that out with them - maybe an on line chat/support session that I can save the text from as proof later if needed.

Hope there aint a $15 charge - will keep an eye on my bills too...

But u should done Upgrade to 922 instead like I did few months ago ..722 is old news!

Too much $$, and I already have a sling box.
722 should be fine for my purposes. The 622 was actually fine, just wanted working HDMI - gonna string a long HDMI cable from monoprice to new HD TV in bedroom (UHF Pro on TV1 - check!).

Yes dish honest douche bag networks is still actively installing these SD only MPEG2 only door stops on naive 2 year commitment accounts in the WA in the form of remanufactured 512s. Basically they take some old returned 522 and or scrap 625 parts and make a nice crappy (new yeah right) 512 to sock some poor lease victims into keeping for the term. With hopes the HD fails quickly and they can con them 6 months down the road into agreeing to an extended new term later. Nice company isn't it? That is why I tell everyone to stay away from leasing and or commitments! You can also have the honor of owning a 512 for the privilege of around $100, then months later having them take away your purchased box and force a replacement with a MPEG4 capable lease box 612. So if you invest in any owned receivers and you don't want the crocks to take your hardware investment away make sure you buy only MPEG4 hardware even if you don't want HD. Dish has some nerve still using these for anything other than warranty replacements.

Yes dish honest douche bag networks is still actively installing these SD only MPEG2 only door stops on naive 2 year commitment accounts in the WA in the form of remanufactured 512s. Basically they take some old returned 522 and or scrap 625 parts and make a nice crappy (new yeah right) 512 to sock some poor lease victims into keeping for the term. With hopes the HD fails quickly and they can con them 6 months down the road into agreeing to an extended new term later. Nice company isn't it? That is why I tell everyone to stay away from leasing and or commitments! You can also have the honor of owning a 512 for the privilege of around $100, then months later having them take away your purchased box and force a replacement with a MPEG4 capable lease box 612. So if you invest in any owned receivers and you don't want the crocks to take your hardware investment away make sure you buy only MPEG4 hardware even if you don't want HD. Dish has some nerve still using these for anything other than warranty replacements.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you may be totally correct in what you say, but you really don't need to be so rude about it. I would not say that folks that are in the WA area are naive. Most folks have no clue about how the satellite system works and what MPEG 2 and MPEG4 are etc. If in fact Dish is knowingly installing MPEG2 receivers for new subs and planning on upgrading the WA service to all MPEG4 very soon then of course that is wrong and Dish should be called out on it. From what I read here that isn't going to happen in the near future. Dish has a tremendous investment in equipment, if refurbishing or repackaging a receiver is a way for them to save some money why not? From a purely business point of view it makes sense to me. I'm certainly not defending Dish as I am one of the "small number" of subs that can't "see" the newly launched HDs because I have the Hybrid 110/119/61.5 set up and I have made the choice to not pay the $15.00 for the service call to have an EA dish put up.
As far as the leased vs owned receiver issue, if you have been reading this forum you will note that if you own a receiver and it is replaced under dhpp then it is still owned by you. Also if you purchase your receiver you won't have a commitment but you will still pay a lease fee for your second and subsequent receivers. If you don't have dhpp what will you do when your box needs repair? If it is out of warranty repairs can quickly become more expensive than replacing the receiver. DVR's have a much higher failure rate than non DVR receivers, remember the HDD never shuts down. I'm on my third 722 in 4 years, without dhpp I would have been screwed.

Just my opinion

Ross

Upgrade to 922 instead like I did few months ago ..722 is old news!
What upgrade? There's still lots of stuff missing from the ViP922. Wasn't it just yesterday that they announced that it was going to be able to play back EHD recordings without having to restore them to the internal drive first?

If you think I am rude then you take it too personally,

I am in the WA, 110,118,119,129 + 61.5 for backup

You pay for DHPP but you refuse to pay a measly $15 bucks to get new dish to solve your missing HD problem????

Dish has started forced swapping MPEG2 owned for MPEG4 lease. They don't care if you bought the 625 yesterday it is toast and in exchange you get leased box worth nothing to you other then a $15 return fee when you are done with it.

If you think I am rude then you take it too personally,

I am in the WA, 110,118,119,129 + 61.5 for backup

You pay for DHPP but you refuse to pay a measly $15 bucks to get new dish to solve your missing HD problem????

Dish has started forced swapping MPEG2 owned for MPEG4 lease. They don't care if you bought the 625 yesterday it is toast and in exchange you get leased box worth nothing to you other then a $15 return fee when you are done with it.

If this is true Dishnetwork would not be still advertising MPEG2 DVRs on their website.;)

HD DVR - Digital Video Recorder & TV Receivers - DISH Network

I still have and use my 625.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)