DISH is having a banner week.

I have TurboHD Silver, and only TurboHD Silver. I switched from Classic Silver with the HD add-on on Monday evening, before anyone could see Fox News HD. My account online clearly says TurboHD Silver, and I have no additional SD channels available except the free previews, my locals.

I have had, and continue to have, Fox News HD since sometime Tuesday morning. Whether I am proof that this is a glitch and that TurboHD customers should have Fox News HD, or for some reason have something I shouldn't have, I really don't know at this point. My opinion on that has changed several times in the last 24 hours or so, now leaning toward the former, since it hasn't gone away yet.

I hope you are correct...

You wanna know what's really sad? If a bunch of people dropped Dish Network due to this, Charlie would simply think that Dish lost more customers because (a) more people with FTA receivers are pirating the signal and (b) because the economy stinks.

He would never understand or admit they lost customers because of something Dish Network did poorly.

Robert

You wanna know what's really sad? If a bunch of people dropped Dish Network due to this, Charlie would simply think that Dish lost more customers because (a) more people with FTA receivers are pirating the signal and (b) because the economy stinks.

He would never understand or admit they lost customers because of something Dish Network did poorly.

Robert

:up+1

Let's sum up... this week DISH managed to...

...Roll out Turbo HD packages to existing subscribers, giving HD Absolute subscribers the opportunity to pay much more for the same thing they already get, and giving the rest of us the opportunity to cut our programming choices in half for an 11% savings.

ummmm did i miss something; how can I save money??? I am paying $140 for the AEP and HD with a 622.

Robert

+2. Its never their own fault. Always something else.

Unless I have missed something, I have never seen an official Dish Network policy about adding channels in the future to any particular package.

The particular packages are only defined by the list of currently included channels.

Bottom line is, they've got too many dang options that all have special conflicts with other options, you'd have to have degrees in law, marketing, finance and alchemy just to understand them all. The technical glitch is that there's probably too many "packages" now for the computer system to handle. I feel sorry for the first-line CSRs, with no degree in anything, that are trying to understand it.

Yes, yes, yes!

I *hate* the Dish Network goulash of packages, "special deals", fees, etc.. It is almost impossible to know what programming package to subscribe to.

In my case, I see a list of packages and add-ons on my online report, but the monthly bill has a different nomenclature that doesn't seem to correlate. I can't even tell if I'm being cheated with a billing error because I don't have a good sense of what I'm paying for. I do know that it seems like it's too much.

The package choices, special deals, and fees are unreasonably and unnecessarily complicated.

I'm doubting they'll lose enough customers over this to make a noticible blip in overall churn. Unless you're watching this board or the internet in general like a hawk about new HD (which I don't think is true of the vast majority of Dish users), you're in one of two categories this week.

#1 - You got something that you didn't have before.

#2 - You didn't get something new, but you didn't think you were supposed to get something new, so you are just going along like you were.

What "glitch" is keeping Dish from adding more national HD now?

Last edited:
Unless I have missed something, I have never seen an official Dish Network policy about adding channels in the future to any particular package.

The particular packages are only defined by the list of currently included channels.

Well, first of all, FoxNewsHD and FoxBusiness HD were listed in the Turbo packages on the Dish website a few days ago, then they were removed. And yes, the packages are defined by the currently included channels, but one would think that if you're subscribing to an all HD package, that you would at least have the option to get new HD channels.

What "glitch" is causing Dish from adding more national HD now?

Just wait a while and an explanation as to how they "intended" to add all these channels but [fill-in-the-blank] occurred unexpectedly will come out of the woodwork.

Face it, all Dish needs to do is to wait a few days and any furor that exists now will die down as people look toward the next occasion for which they can construct reasons to expect more national HD.

Well, first of all, FoxNewsHD and FoxBusiness HD were listed in the Turbo packages on the Dish website a few days ago, then they were removed...

Likewise, they put the CI logo on the scroll bar of HD Channels offered by dish (here). Then, yesterday it disappeared. Personally, when the Fox News & Fox Business channels were listed in the Turbo packages on the website yesterday it caused a formatting problem on that particular web page (causing text to display over the graphics). I would not worry too much about that.

Last Thursday there was little hope this channel would show up on dish in the next year or two. I'm still surprised the deal was worked out in the first place. The fact is, the channel is in the system; and after all the fuss and legal wranglings that went into Fox News being put into the At100, er, Classic Bronze pack... I'm sure Fox was insistant that it will have a ubiquitous presense in HD only packs before too long.

Likewise, they put the CI logo on the scroll bar of HD Channels offered by dish (here). Then, yesterday it disappeared. Personally, when the Fox News & Fox Business channels were listed in the Turbo packages on the website yesterday it caused a formatting problem on that particular web page (causing text to display over the graphics). I would not worry too much about that.

Last Thursday there was little hope this channel would show up on dish in the next year or two. I'm still surprised the deal was worked out in the first place. The fact is, the channel is in the system; and after all the fuss and legal wranglings that went into Fox News being put into the At100, er, Classic Bronze pack... I'm sure Fox was insistant that it will have a ubiquitous presense in HD only packs before too long.

Well, there are still text formatting issues on that page when I looked earlier without the inclusion of those channels. I hope and I think you are right about them eventually being available in Turbo packages, but again, this is where a simple press release or any notification to the customers about the issue would go a long way. Whatever the decision is, it would put a lot of this confusion and fuss to rest.

ummmm did i miss something; how can I save money??? I am paying $140 for the AEP and HD with a 622.

My point...Turbo Gold is only 11% cheaper than Classic Gold + HD, but it contains FAR less programming. "Half" is probably being generous.

They are making a big marketing push to roll out packages that are extremely unappealing to most people.

Face it, all Dish needs to do is to wait a few days and any furor that exists now will die down

Agreed, and to be honest, half of these issues will probably be worked out relatively soon.

It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective to raise prices and roll out a new marketing plan at a time when you're failing in so many other ways.

My point...Turbo Gold is only 11% cheaper than Classic Gold + HD, but it contains FAR less programming. "Half" is probably being generous.

I agree ... I would think the TurboHD packages are good money makers for Dish.

I did think though that I could see why Fox might want an HD channel to be only available in a package that has their SD channels too. The HD channel might not have any advertising ... or very little and hence the HD channel will not give much of a return back where an SD channel may run 50 commercials an hour. Therefore, they might be inclined to say ... okay ... we will give you the HD channel ... but only in a package where our SD channels exist too to maximize the odds of our sponsors making money ...

This is just not true... They can just as easily, and too often do, take away channels that are currently included. You can't count on anything, which is really the point...

I agree ... I would think the TurboHD packages are good money makers for Dish.

I did think though that I could see why Fox might want an HD channel to be only available in a package that has their SD channels too. The HD channel might not have any advertising ... or very little and hence the HD channel will not give much of a return back where an SD channel may run 50 commercials an hour. Therefore, they might be inclined to say ... okay ... we will give you the HD channel ... but only in a package where our SD channels exist too to maximize the odds of our sponsors making money ...

Maybe I have missed the direction/point of your message, but the SD & HD channels are one in the same. Same shows, same ads. One is fed in SD, one is fed in HD. I have FoxNews HD in my Classic 200 plus Silver HD package and they run just as many commercials as the SD.

Just went to the website and noticed the Smithsonian channel was listed again!? what is going on here :confused:
leftNav_phd_new.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts